• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post Mortem help!

gingernutty

Warren Scout
My Bailey died late last night. He was only 4 years old. I would like to know the cause but my vets are saying that for a post mortem they have to refer out to animal trust or Royal veterinary hospital and will charge me around£200/£300 ( no exact price - they seemed to not really know the process themselves!). I phoned up these places directly and they said they don't take patients directly - only through the vets.
I have two questions:
1) is 4 years old a reasonable age for a mini lop to reach? (when I look online they say 7-11years)
2) how can I get a post mortem done? I live in North Essex. Will any vets do it themselves? I've rang round 5 now. I've heard people say about confirmed cases of that virus going round but how do they know if they haven't had a post mortem? There must be facilities somewhere?!
3) How long until it's too late to get a post mortem ?

Last edited:
My Bailey died late last night. He was only 4 years old. I would like to know the cause but my vets are saying that for a post mortem they have to refer out to animal trust or Royal veterinary hospital and will charge me around£200/£300 ( no exact price - they seemed to not really know the process themselves!). I phoned up these places directly and they said they don't take patients directly - only through the vets.
I have two questions:
1) is 4 years old a reasonable age for a mini lop to reach? (when I look online they say 7-11years)
2) how can I get a post mortem done? I live in North Essex. Will any vets do it themselves? I've rang round 5 now. I've heard people say about confirmed cases of that virus going round but how do they know if they haven't had a post mortem? There must be facilities somewhere?!

I am so sorry for your tragic loss :cry: 4 is certainly not old for a Mini Lop, not even middle aged.

A Vet can do a very basic PM, looking at the appearance of the internal organs and checking if there is anything obvious to the eye that would cause a sudden death. But to confirm the presence of a virus such as RHD2 then specific testing (PCR) is needed

http://www.moredun.org.uk/moredun-scientific-homepage/animal-health/diagnostic-services

Rabbit Haemorrhagic Disease Virus :

Rabbit Haemorrhagic Disease Virus variant 2 has now been reported in many areas of the United Kingdom in both domestic and wild rabbits (first reported case in March 2014, although retrospective analysis by APHA has identified presence of type 2 virus in UK since 2010). The clinical and pathological manifestations of the disease closely resemble that of the classical genotype (classical or type1) albeit with differences in presentation (more sub-acute/chronic), incidence (lower number of animals affected in a colony), pathogenicity (generally less pathogenic), and susceptibility (can affect young animals and hares).
At Moredun we detected the first Scottish case of Rabbit Harmorrhagic Disease in April 2014 and we have since developed a PCR which, followed by sequencing, can discriminate between classical and type 2 genotypes. The PCR is available to surveillance centres throughout the UK to monitor the impact of the disease on the wild rabbit population. In addition, we have recently agreed to offer this test to private veterinarians and laboratories in response to the large number of request received and the concern among owners and breeders about the spread of Rabbit Haemorrhagic Disease Virus.
Sample requirements
The sample of choice for the diagnostic PCR is liver. Frozen liver collected at post mortem or fresh liver in virus transport media. Formalin fixed tissues are not suitable for this test.
Test description
The PCR performed at Moredun is a conventional PCR. The PCR is designed to detect both genotypes (classical and type 2). If the sample is positive this will be followed by sequence analysis for genotype determination to discriminate between classical and RHDV2. We do not run serological tests.
Turnaround times
The PCR is performed once a week, and the length of time required to receive a result will depend on when the sample is received. In case of positive result the PCR product is sent to an external laboratory for sequence determination and this might add a few more days for the genotype result to be available.
Shipment
Samples have to be shipped as biological substance category B, UN3373, packing instructions 650.
Fresh liver in VTM can be shipped using Royal mail safebox first class option. Alternative packaging (from other suppliers) are suitable, as long as they conform to the same packaging regulations. Frozen water and dry ice are prohibited by Royal Mail.
Frozen liver will require a courier and will be more expensive.
We do not recommend shipping samples over the weekend.
Cost and Submission
The cost of the PCR (includes sequencing for genotype discrimination) is £ 40.39 + VAT. This cost will be reviewed on the first of April 2017.

Last edited:
I have two questions:

I am so very sorry for your loss :(

4 is not old for a mini lop. As you say, they can live way past 7 years

There is a thread here which may have something useful for you:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?46531-Post-Mortems

How long until it's too late? - this will depend on how the body has been preserved in the meantime. You should ask your vet. A vet can do simple post mortems but if they suspect it's something more complicated they will refer out, and that becomes expensive.

Yes there are various viruses going round, but until confirmed by post mortem, then it's just hearsay.

Was your rabbit poorly for long before passing away?

If you're North Essex you could try Iain Cope at Pets at Home Newmarket or maybe Cambridge Vets. Our vets are Swaynes in Haverhill but think they would use the Animal Trust place in Newmarket.

In my decades of owing rabbits I have had post mortums done a few times. Twice I did it because I had other pets who exhibited the same symptoms and even then the PM's did not give me enough information in time to save additional rabbits. Another time I did it because a bunny I had for less than six months died after several tests and vet treatments. That time they gave me little additional information and the cost of additional testing was not affordable at the time.

Back