• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lady Blue.. Again!

Sharpie

Warren Scout
Hi all..
Its one thing after another.. :(

Today I was doing our usual morning routine, eye clean, nose clean, medicine and bum check.
Her nose lump has gone down so quickly! It's nearly completely gone - phew!
Bum check... I found something..
I was cleaning her bum and tail and she had a little poop stuck, as I was cleaning the "bulge" that her bum and minnie moo are on top off moved sideways and I saw a bald patch.. I Google and it's her groin area? It's in both sides - phew..
However. In that groin area and up the side of the bulge towards the opening to her bum is this... Seam.. And it has something in it.. I don't know if it's a fat crease with dry poo in or if she's got cuts up both sides and it's dry blood... It's scary as hell.
I tried washing it and some came away, leaving the cotton ball yellowish like poop colour but lighter.
It doesn't smell like blood.. And as I was looking the skin was.. Like separating? Kinda looked like it was splitting but no blood came.

She's booked in for 3:20 for medication review but I will get him to look at this..
I have no idea if it's "normal" or if she has been somehow cut?

To try help you see where it is, the yellowed bit of fluff above her tail is her actual bum hole. I'm showing the side of it

She was badly obese when I first got her and I'm not sure if it's another fat crease of hers, as when I look on Google the female area is generally flat, hers sits ontop of a fatty bulge, almost like a pom pom, so not sure if it's a crease with possibly dried (once soft) poop?

Last edited:
Hi all..
Its one thing after another.. :(

Today I was doing our usual morning routine, eye clean, nose clean, medicine and bum check.
Her nose lump has gone down so quickly! It's nearly completely gone - phew!
Bum check... I found something..
I was cleaning her bum and tail and she had a little poop stuck, as I was cleaning the "bulge" that her bum and minnie moo are on top off moved sideways and I saw a bald patch.. I Google and it's her groin area? It's in both sides - phew..
However. In that groin area and up the side of the bulge towards the opening to her bum is this... Seam.. And it has something in it.. I don't know if it's a fat crease with dry poo in or if she's got cuts up both sides and it's dry blood... It's scary as hell.
I tried washing it and some came away, leaving the cotton ball yellowish like poop colour but lighter.
It doesn't smell like blood.. And as I was looking the skin was.. Like separating? Kinda looked like it was splitting but no blood came.

She's booked in for 3:20 for medication review but I will get him to look at this..
I have no idea if it's "normal" or if she has been somehow cut?

To try help you see where it is, the yellowed bit of fluff above her tail is her actual bum hole. I'm showing the side of it

She was badly obese when I first got her and I'm not sure if it's another fat crease of hers, as when I look on Google the female area is generally flat, hers sits ontop of a fatty bulge, almost like a pom pom, so not sure if it's a crease with possibly dried (once soft) poop?

Looks like one of her scent glands. These fill with a brown waxy discharge which can be removed using a cotton bud that has been dipped in a bit of olive oil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x9dbSUdomg

I am not too sure about this but i think rabbits have scent glands there that can fill up with waxy stuff. I dont even know if its male and female who have them, Im sure someone will be along who does no. I might be completly wrong but its when you mentiononed her being obese once, i remember reading somewhere that the fat folds can close and get stuck and "I think" the glands get blocked. like i said i might have been reading about something else lol..

Oh really? I don't know a lot about the female parts on a bunny, never really had to deal with it before so I panicked!

So it's nothing to worry about??

Males have them too :)

Lady Blue's may be very full and so more prominent now. Rabbits with reduced mobility, for whatever reason, may find it difficult to clean themselves well. So the scent glands can become over-full. The video link I posted in my last reply shows you how to clean the scent glands :)

I am not too sure about this but i think rabbits have scent glands there that can fill up with waxy stuff. I dont even know if its male and female who have them, Im sure someone will be along who does no. I might be completly wrong but its when you mentiononed her being obese once, i remember reading somewhere that the fat folds can close and get stuck and "I think" the glands get blocked. like i said i might have been reading about something else lol..

I agree with W&S - it's very likely to be her scent glands :D

You can clean them out with a cotton bud dipped in water. They sometimes clean them themselves, but not always. They can be a bit stinky!

Thank you all for the responses :) I just panicked when I saw it because it looked like a wound lol!

When I was new bunny owner and checked out my boys bits etc.I was like wtf is this!until I read up on scent glands etc.It looked like he had two dark coins inserted in him.:shock::lol:

Back