• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Aviary covering/weatherproofing advice needed

EyerollChamp

Alpha Buck
Hi all. Luna has had a grand summer in the aviary that Dann built. Unfortunately it's now slanty rain season. Tarps are keeping her dry for now but we get high winds here which will blow the aviary to pieces if it gets a hold. This means we need all-round cover to keep the wind and rain out. Obviously it will need to let in air and light.

This is where I need some suggestions. I'm thinking of that clear plastic sheeting that's used on the front of hutch covers. I could fit it easily and make metal eyelet airholes. Trouble is I don't know what it's called or where to get it.

Any ideas please? Or alternative suggestions?

I'd go for acrylic sheeting for the 'usual' rain side (max 2 sides I'd say): again, probably attach temporarily using cable ties or similar. You can get corrugated stuff from DIY stores but not sure about non-corrugated (or if it matters!) It's something I intend on using on our wood-mesh run if I ever get it set up. Should add to the structural integrity rather than trying to pull it to pieces.

As for the clear sheeting, that sounds good too but also can't help with proper names for searching, sorry! Good luck :D

I'd go for acrylic sheeting for the 'usual' rain side (max 2 sides I'd say): again, probably attach temporarily using cable ties or similar. You can get corrugated stuff from DIY stores but not sure about non-corrugated (or if it matters!) It's something I intend on using on our wood-mesh run if I ever get it set up. Should add to the structural integrity rather than trying to pull it to pieces.

As for the clear sheeting, that sounds good too but also can't help with proper names for searching, sorry! Good luck :D

Cheers Kel. Is the acrylic sheeting solid? Also is it pricey?

I recently got the corrugated pvc sheets for the roof of my run and I have to say I'm finding them brilliant for keeping the run dry. I did consider trying to attach some to the sides but mine is just a 3-ish foot high run so I would need to cut the sheets to size and I read they were difficult to cut so I didn't bother :lol: I have a clear shower curtain hung on curtain wire on the 1 exposed side (1 side is the shed, another has a fence a couple of feet away which protects it well from rain and the third has an overhang of the pvc panels and the rain doesn't tend to blow in that way for whatever reason). The shower curtain is very thin and I'm not sure how it will withstand a full winter but has worked ok so far.

Back