• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How to encourage drinking more water for sludge bun

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
Oliver is a sludge bun. He had his last bladder flush at start of July. He has started to spot wee bit of pee again. Not too bad though. He is going to vets on Wednesday just for a check over and for vet to show me how to do sub q fluids for him as I read that can help bladder sludge (anyone else think weekly or twice weekly sub q fluids r a good idea ??) I was going down sub q route as Oliver doesnt drink much water. I have 2 bowls in his favourite spots. What fruit juices could j put in his water that r safe?? I tried apple juice but he wasn't keen. What about grape or cranberry juice ?? He is in very good form health wise, just concerned about his fluid intake.

He eats romaine but doesn't like cucumber. He likes very few of the low calcium veggies. Got apple leaves and he prefers them dried rather than fresh! Plus he eats hawthorn leaves to. Just think greens not enough for providing water.

Fresh grass would be the best option if you've got a lawn or forage space to cut it from. As rabbits eat a lot of hay/grass it provides a lot of water and in a very natural way. Introduce it gradually and build up the amount over a few weeks but once he's used to it then it could completely replace hay if he likes it.

He isnt a fan of fresh grass either! I picked some more last night and he ate a bit. Prefers his hay strangely! I will try syringin him some additional water . I have mint tea bags at home so will give that a try also. Thanks

Oliver is a sludge bun. He had his last bladder flush at start of July. He has started to spot wee bit of pee again. Not too bad though. He is going to vets on Wednesday just for a check over and for vet to show me how to do sub q fluids for him as I read that can help bladder sludge (anyone else think weekly or twice weekly sub q fluids r a good idea ??) I was going down sub q route as Oliver doesnt drink much water. I have 2 bowls in his favourite spots. What fruit juices could j put in his water that r safe?? I tried apple juice but he wasn't keen. What about grape or cranberry juice ?? He is in very good form health wise, just concerned about his fluid intake.

Hi Nicky

Is the water you give him low calcium? :wave:

I would do the sub cut fluids twice weekly. I never found it particularly pleasant to stick them with such a huge needle, but it does work wonders if he doesn't eat wet and watery veggies ...

Hi Max ! Hope u r well :)

Yes his bottled water is low calcium, 10mg per 100ml. So u defo found the fluids to help then? ? That's reassuring to know. No I don't like poking them with needles either. But at least it won't be every day as long as it helps. Maybe I can get a butterfly needle to help make it more comfy if that's possible. Hope giving sub q fluids isn't too difficult but will be shown on Wednesday.

Hi Max ! Hope u r well :)

Yes his bottled water is low calcium, 10mg per 100ml. So u defo found the fluids to help then? ? That's reassuring to know. No I don't like poking them with needles either. But at least it won't be every day as long as it helps. Maybe I can get a butterfly needle to help make it more comfy if that's possible. Hope giving sub q fluids isn't too difficult but will be shown on Wednesday.

Yes thank you :wave:

The main problem I have with sub-Q's is that you have to try and make sure the fluid doesn't seep out after you've finished. You kind of 'pinch off' the skin for a few moments. Have a look here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdf-M9miFzE

The Vet once told me bunnies like Ribena so you could try that. Hope you can find something that will encourasage him.

I bought some cranberry juice. They didn't have any unsweetened so there is sugar in in :( I put about 10mg into his bowl which has about 200ml of water in it and he drank more than usual. I am going to try and find 100% cranberry. Is the one with sugar ok if well diluted??

Thanks Max for that video link. I am hoping I can give it by syringe rather than drip bag, which I think would be easier as Oliver won't sit still for long! We had to give Rosie sub q fluids with the drip method before but she would sit .... once u caught her !

I bought some cranberry juice. They didn't have any unsweetened so there is sugar in in :( I put about 10mg into his bowl which has about 200ml of water in it and he drank more than usual. I am going to try and find 100% cranberry. Is the one with sugar ok if well diluted??

I think you'd be hard pressed to find unsweetened cranberry juice. it's very tart, and most don't do the actual pressed juice for that reason. It's diluted and sugared. That's probably why he likes it :D

I guess it's a trade off with the sugar - if he drinks a lot more, then it's probably worth it. If not always, then now and then.

One of my rabbits will lap up plain veggie juice from a saucer like it's nectar ... :lol:

Yeah Max, noticed they all has sugar but will keep looking. He is defo drinking more with it in his bowl I only put a tiny amount so think the trade off is worth it so far. He also has a bowl of plain water too. We'll went to vets yester day and he does have a UTI which I suspected. 2 week course of baytril. Vet also showed me how to give flids with butterfly needle as he got 60ml yesterday. I swear it's helped already as he was lying with back legs out this morning, he hasn't done that in ages, usually bunny loaf position. Maybe diluting the urine has made it less burny? But will see . He is on metacam also. Urine sample showed about 20% sludge again. So hopefully fluids will extend the time between bladder flushes.

both my piggies are on a hay and lettuce based diet because of bladder issues (one being sludge) and the vet said a variety of lettuces are also a really good choice for rabbits with the same condition aswell :wave:

Yeah Max, noticed they all has sugar but will keep looking. He is defo drinking more with it in his bowl I only put a tiny amount so think the trade off is worth it so far. He also has a bowl of plain water too. We'll went to vets yester day and he does have a UTI which I suspected. 2 week course of baytril. Vet also showed me how to give flids with butterfly needle as he got 60ml yesterday. I swear it's helped already as he was lying with back legs out this morning, he hasn't done that in ages, usually bunny loaf position. Maybe diluting the urine has made it less burny? But will see . He is on metacam also. Urine sample showed about 20% sludge again. So hopefully fluids will extend the time between bladder flushes.

I'm glad the vet's helped you you with the fluids. Shame about the UTI and sludge, but you're doing all you can :D

I agree with biscandmatt .. lettuce is great. (the dreaded L word :lol:). I think fluids will also really help with the sludge ... Hope you are keeping OK? xx

Yes Max Oliver will never be cured of his sluge but we can try and manage it. He is getting 3 -4 big leaves of romaine along with his other veg so there is one lettuce variety! I gave noticed sludge on the tiles now in his urine and he is peeing in a larger volume and less concentrated. Glad the sludge is coming out as it wasn't before and he has already stopped spotting. Vet says fluids once a week but if he handles it ok twice a week. I think twicec would be best too. He is taking his meds well, hates baytril but will happily lick the metacam from the syringe- so cute to watch . Oliver is eatting well and pooping and bright but I still worry over his lonliness. I said I turned down the little sight impaired foster bun but the sanctuary said to still think about her as they still had not got her it their care yet . Think she is healthy apart from sight aspect. They would be keeping her for a couple if months first fir assessment begore she could be fostered. I said I would think about it. My worry is that I adore bunnies I truely do but I would just like to end the cycle of getting bunnies for a while but if I take on a foster and if Oliver was no longer here would I be able to hand her back?? And so the cycle would continue. Or I am trying to think if I did take her and Oliver "went to university " as we like to put it, would i be able to put her first, give her back to sanctuary so she could have a companion in another foster home?? I know I would bond with her so easy. I hope I don't sound selfish. U just want to try to do what's right for Oliver, for me and hubby and for the little foster bun.

Back