• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hello New and In need of advice.

Rich&twins

New Kit
Hello my name is Richard,

I am looking into getting a pair of un-neutered rabbits. Which are currently for sale on one of the free ads sites.
They are apparently pure breed Dutch. They are currently housed in a 5' double tier hutch but this has been modified to keep them separate.
I am wondering whether I would be able to get them neutered as I would have a buck and a doe they are 16 months old?
Would this also still help even at this age keep them calmer/less aggressive?
Is they any advice you can give that will help me when I go and look at them?
Also I will need to get transportation boxes what size would you recommend for a adult bunnies?
Also these where rescued by the lady who is selling them????!!!

Kind regards and appreciate any words of advice.

Rich and Twins
Ps they are going to be love family pet for 4 1/2 year old twins.

link of rabbits intending to buy http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/s...&sectionId=2154&location=Waterlooville&page=2

Hello there and welcome to the Forum. I see you are very interested in giving these 2 rabbits a home. There is so much to say so you can buy 2 cardboard boxes to transport the rabbits in rather than buying 2 pet carriers. I think you can buy them from Pets at Home. The hutch in the photo is not a 5' hutch - is this the one which will be coming with the rabbits? This hutch is only a 3' hutch and not big enough for permanent living accommodation. The best course of action would be to book the boy in for neutering or get both done at the same time. You must not put the bunnies together as the buck will get the doe pregnant in a flash! So you will need to keep them separate until preferably they are both neutered. This has answered some of the questions that could arise. If you pay £70 you will have to buy another hutch as this one is not big enough. Not knowing your garden etc maybe you have space for a shed with an attached aviary, so your girls could go inside and sit with the bunnies. A lot of folk do this now and there are typical examples in the housing Section. She says the male has lost his ring so when the female is neutered you could ask the Vet if they would remove hers too as they can cause problems. Hope this helps you. The bunnies look lovely.

Hello and welcome to the forum :wave:

Tonibun has given you some really good advice. I would only add a couple of things. Firstly if you get the boy neutered first then make sure you keep them separate for at least six weeks as boys remain fertile for a few weeks after castration so he could still impregnate her after he's been "done". It would definitely be beneficial to have them both neutered as it will be easier to bond them so they can live happily together as a pair. There are also health benefits, especially for the doe, as unneutered females have a high risk of getting uterine tumours by the time they reach the age of three. Neutering should also help alleviate behavioural issues like aggression and bad litter tray habits.

If you do get them, find out from the seller what their current diet is, particularly what greens they are eating and can tolerate and the pellet brand they are on. Rabbits have very sensitive digestive systems so any changes to their diet should be done carefully and gradually. Ideally their current diet should consist mainly of hay and/or grass, with only a very small amount of pelleted feed.

Good luck, they do look very beautiful bunnies :love:

Yes thank you for your replies.
There are 3 pictures in the link the 3rd one shows the hutch that we would be getting I also questioned this when saw as I to thought this was very cruel.
We dont have a massive garden but i will be able to make them an outdoor run for them of about 8X4 which I can easily store.
I will also intend to let the rabbits have some indoor time to when the days are not quite as nice for them. Best of both.
When i got to look at these 2 I am hoping i can get them out and handle them to see what there temperament is like as I say these will be family pets. If they are not very good at handling how easy is it to get them to the lovely cuddly bunnies my children are wanting??
http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/s...&sectionId=2154&location=Waterlooville&page=2
Pic of the hutch.

Regards Rich

Welcome to the RU
I hope you get your new bunnies neutered and reintroduced to each other soon.
Please bear in mind most rabbits are not "cuddle bunnies" at best they may tolerate being stroked

The other hutch is much better :thumb: Rabbits don't tend to like being handled, some hate it. You really have to keep rabbits on their terms. Also bringing them indoors then putting them back outside in the winter is not very good as it can cause respiratory illness. They are not like dogs and cats which can go in and out ok. Rabbits need to be looked after well in order to keep them healthy. You can still enjoy having them but don't be disillusioned. Maybe they are not the right pets for your 4 yr olds.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

If you intend keeping these two rabbits outside in the hutch, I'm afraid you will not be able to bring them indoors into the house until next year when the weather starts to warm up. The rabbits just would not tolerate the change in temperature. It would give them more space if the run could be permanently attached to the hutch so that they could come and go as they please. You would obviously need to make sure that it was secure and predator proof.

I hope that their neutering goes well and that they bond together successfully afterwards.

Thanks everyone for all your advice. Cuddly wasn't really the most appropriate I do agree. However what I was meaning a rabbit that wasn't going to be to be to aggressive considering that they haven't really been used to be handled. I know it would take time and perseverance for the rabbits to get used to us.
I never knew if you had an outdoor bunny that it wasn't a good idea to bring them indoors during winter. You have made me aware now as it could cause a shock to the system and could have serious health problems from doing this.
Exactly why I am on here in the first place to be gaining the know how in keeping these lovely animals. With people as good as yourselves dishing out the information.

Regards
Rich

Back