• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

To worm or not to worm

DemiS

Warren Veteran
Tried searching for info but people on here and even vets seem to have different views on routine worming of rabbits. Mine have never been wormed but they could have something from their previous home, I don't have any other rabbits here nor do wild rabbits come in the garden. I think they're unlikely to catch anything here but they could have something from before, but then the standard panacur dosing (9 days) is not enough to eradicate EC anyway so is there much point?

I know some of you will say ask your vet but every vet seems to have a different opinion and yours are probably a bit savvier than mine

I would only worm rabbits if I suspected that they had them. They're not like dogs and cats fortunately.

I thought I posted, but obviously not?

I don't routinely worm mine, but if I suspect they have something then I will do just for peace of mind. Even if it means doing a 28 day course, just in case.

I don't routinely worm rabbits. If I got a new addition, I would consider a 28 day course of Panacur - but probably only when they had settled in and with a new partner, then do them both as a one-off course. That's mainly because I know we have / recently had EC bunnies so I would not want to risk a possible breakout in the existing ones, or for a newbie to either bring it back in or pick it up here - so it would basically be to get a 'clean' start, including a full deep clean on days 21 and 28.

Tried searching for info but people on here and even vets seem to have different views on routine worming of rabbits. Mine have never been wormed but they could have something from their previous home, I don't have any other rabbits here nor do wild rabbits come in the garden. I think they're unlikely to catch anything here but they could have something from before, but then the standard panacur dosing (9 days) is not enough to eradicate EC anyway so is there much point?

I know some of you will say ask your vet but every vet seems to have a different opinion and yours are probably a bit savvier than mine

Yes you're right, vets have varying opinions (on most things!) which doesn't help much :)

I would do an EC Panacur (I don't call that worming) for 28 days when a new rabbit enters the household. If previous rabbits have been given a course before, then I don't repeat that for them.

A nine day course is for pinworms.

I don't worm mine even though the vets have suggested doing so every few months. Reason being mine don't like being force-fed oral medicines and I simply won't put them through the stress of it unnecessarily. Nothing can get into the garden so I can't see the point. If I thought they had worms then yes of course I would, but other than that, no, I don't. They're now 5 years old and have never had any problems so far with worms.

I dont routinely worm my Rabbits for intestinal worms.

Re EC- I give a 28 day course to any new intakes. I do not treat again unless clinical symptoms of EC were to occur or if my Vet advised me to do so.

I don't worm mine even though the vets have suggested doing so every few months. Reason being mine don't like being force-fed oral medicines and I simply won't put them through the stress of it unnecessarily. Nothing can get into the garden so I can't see the point. If I thought they had worms then yes of course I would, but other than that, no, I don't. They're now 5 years old and have never had any problems so far with worms.

I totally agree Angie.

Panacur isn't a 'cure all', and 28 days of force feeding meds is really stressful :)

I think part of the routine courses which have popped up in the last couple of years is down to some good marketing from pancur and I imagine vets are paid to stock their products. Unless you know your rabbit has worms then I wouldn't bother and a standard course won't take out EC.

I've never routinely given Panacur. I did a 28 day course for Beano and Jake when Beano was experiencing symptoms which could have been down to EC, and I now would do so for new bunnies having learnt that is good practice.

I panacur mine for big bunny stresses - bonding, house moves etc - 10 day course though :) - as others have said this is not about worms for me but EC prevention

I'd like to worm mine because we don't know that much about either's history before we got them but it'll be more trouble than it's worth while they're so skittish at medication! I intend to do it one day, but only once for eradication (28 days) and then afterwards only if something suspicious happens.

Back