• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Budget Hutch Complete

Daniel

Alpha Buck
The budget hutch I was working on which started 10 months ago is now completed. The image below shows you it. It needs felt on roof, feet, or stand and bolts adding but it’s done.

Sadly in order to bring the cost down it has to be made as a fix product, if you wanted flat pack then you have to buy my normal range. The only way to keep quality, keep the size is to made it ready made.

The image below shows a 6x2.5x2.5ft one, I do plan to have three widths 2ft, 2.5ft, and 3ft.

20161008_165322_zpsk1xyqkhs.jpg

20161008_165243_zpsktqwx7ty.jpg

20161008_165249_zps6ofk46fr.jpg

20161008_165338_zpsftwzhfzo.jpg

20161008_165406_zps5santwki.jpg

20161008_165351_zpsrjwdxty8.jpg

The wood looks lovely! But for that money you could get a 4 x 4 playhouse. A hutch really needs a cover in the winter which means more outlay,

The wood looks lovely! But for that money you could get a 4 x 4 playhouse. A hutch really needs a cover in the winter which means more outlay,

Your correct about that but those playhouses are in my opinion not fit for the purpose of housing animals. They are made with weak, thin wood that is easily broken and the roof is not correctly supported.

They are nailed using very thin nails or staples which does not give it a strong hold and the roof will need replacing quickly.

My products are built with think wood, they have a roof that is solid enough to allow a 70KG guy or 120kg guy stand on them. We use thick nails to hold them together and the above product has been made fully assembled so it’s very solid.

I also don’t believe this hutch needs a cover, it is made with thicker timber than others, if you buy a shutter with it, it will keep out 90% of the wind and rain but will also stop it getting damp inside due to the fact is got ventilation holes.

I’ve seen other hutches in person made by the other companies and can safely say most the cheap ones are nothing like my products. I could easily create something that could fall apart within a few years but why?

Too many of those already on the market and it’s not fair on the pets, why should they have a home that will leak and fall part?

I am trying to find a balance so people with a lower budget can still get something of quality that will last, something that won’t need a whole new roof within few years and something that will outlive the pets they buy it for.

Unfortunately it’s not easy done, as you point out you can buy cheaper things and I’m not going to be able to change that.
I’m here to see if this is worth selling, and I’m grateful for any feedback.

It's very nice and definitely looks like it's made from proper solid pine but this feels like a advert!

It looks lovely, but what's the real difference between this one and say a Liberta 6ft hutch which you can get for £159.99?
I find Liberta to be good quality, comes flat packed, easy to build and light/easy to move around.

Although yours looks to be lovely wood, I can imagine its heavy to move, would be difficult to transport if an owner moved house & I'd still need to make normal adjustments like lining the wood to protect from urine etc.

Having seen Daniels hutches before (admittedly the normal not the budget range) I think some of these posts are a bit offensive to be honest...

The hutches I saw were the most well made I have ever seen (better than my Kernow boarding hutch) and are miles apart from anything you can buy 'off the shelf' (like the Liberta)

Yes having it ready assembled might cause logistical issues but if that's likely then buy one of the normal range.

I think it's great what you are trying to do and will spread the word

It's very nice and definitely looks like it's made from proper solid pine but this feels like a advert!

I apologize, that is not my intention. I have only shared this product here for feedback.
I have been on this forum for years and I know I’m not that active but I don’t know as much as others about rabbits and my expertise is Joinery and I try and help people out on here when I can.

Catherine09 - I most definitely didn't want to be offensive toward Daniels work.
As I said, it looks to be lovely wood and I'm sure is good quality.

But if he releases it for sale, there are some points he would need to think about when he comes to advertise his product.

He's advertising as a budget hutch, and I feel he'd benefit from honest feed back which will help him sell his product when a real customer asks what the difference is when they can get a similar product at a similar price.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Catherine09 - I most definitely didn't want to be offensive toward Daniels work.
As I said, it looks to be lovely wood and I'm sure is good quality.

But if he releases it for sale, there are some points he would need to think about when he comes to advertise his product.

He's advertising as a budget hutch, and I feel he'd benefit from honest feed back which will help him sell his product when a real customer asks what the difference is when they can get a similar product at a similar price.

I could give you the details you are asking for but then it would become a advertising post.

I could give you the details you are asking for but then it would become a advertising post.
I'm sure you could, but I was just pointing out things some customers might bring up incase you hadn't thought of it :) and it was implied that my post was coming across as rude, which I didn't intend. (I often struggle to find the words and come across wrong)

It looks good, as I've said multiple times before.

Eta: never mind - found it :) I've sent her the details

Last edited:

Daniel and other builders of good quality, large rabbit hutches/aviaries etc have always been welcome on this forum to show what they are working on and subtly advertise. I see you've only just joined so there's no way you'd have known that though. These are they type of hutches that we WANT people to put their rabbits in - large, well built, safe and secure, unlike the horrible ones you get from P@H or ebay. By allowing these guys to show their products occasionally on this forum increases the chances of people giving their rabbits decent accommodation. That's a good thing. So yes, it's part advertising, part feedback request. Both are to be encouraged. :)

Daniel and other builders of good quality, large rabbit hutches/aviaries etc have always been welcome on this forum to show what they are working on and subtly advertise. I see you've only just joined so there's no way you'd have known that though. These are they type of hutches that we WANT people to put their rabbits in - large, well built, safe and secure, unlike the horrible ones you get from P@H or ebay. By allowing these guys to show their products occasionally on this forum increases the chances of people giving their rabbits decent accommodation. That's a good thing. So yes, it's part advertising, part feedback request. Both are to be encouraged. :)

I agree with you.

Back