• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wet Patch Below Eye / updated .. more questions towards end of thread ..

Thanks Jack's-Jane :) The vet did consider blocked duct but thought as the fluid is so watery it was unlikely to be blocked. What would expect to be next step if no improvement by Monday?

The tear duct can be blocked even with a watery eye discharge. I would expect the vet to flush the tear duct and see whether that makes any improvement.

Does bathing with cooled boiled water help at all?

Thanks Jack's-Jane :) The vet did consider blocked duct but thought as the fluid is so watery it was unlikely to be blocked. What would expect to be next step if no improvement by Monday?

I'd ask the Vet if he/she thinks a tear duct flush would be a good idea. Some Vets will attempt to do this on a conscious Rabbit. But this is not always appropriate. It is a very delicate procedure, details here :

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00...iquesRabbit/Nasolacrimal_duct_cannulation.htm

If the Vet feels that it would be safer to do the procedure under sedation (your Bunny under sedation, not the Vet !!) then it may be a good idea to request skull radiographs are taken at the same time to ascertain if there is any tooth root elongation.

The tear duct can be blocked even with a watery eye discharge. I would expect the vet to flush the tear duct and see whether that makes any improvement.

Does bathing with cooled boiled water help at all?

Wondering if I am getting stuck in enough bathing! I am wiping Teddys fur really with a 'lick' across his eye - not exactly getting anything wet as such. Any hints or tip?

I'd ask the Vet if he/she thinks a tear duct flush would be a good idea. Some Vets will attempt to do this on a conscious Rabbit. But this is not always appropriate. It is a very delicate procedure, details here :

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00...iquesRabbit/Nasolacrimal_duct_cannulation.htm

If the Vet feels that it would be safer to do the procedure under sedation (your Bunny under sedation, not the Vet !!) then it may be a good idea to request skull radiographs are taken at the same time to ascertain if there is any tooth root elongation.

Thanks for help. What kind of cost can skull radiographs amount to? Kind of ball park figure?

Thanks for help. What kind of cost can skull radiographs amount to? Kind of ball park figure?

All Vets set their own fees so you'd need to ask your Vet. Your Vet may not think they are necessary, I only suggested them if the Vet was going to sedate your Rabbit to do the nasolacrimal duct flush. Your Vet may think that doing the tear duct flush without sedation is possible :)

I don't just know ... but a very small part of me does wonder about myxi :(.

Just the look of his eye. Nothing else is untoward. If he did have myxi, would it not now be developing and more obvious? (9 days since I first noticed his wet eye). We have been to the vets and teddy is regularly vaccinated - booster a couple of days before wet eye.

I will take him back to the vets on Mon as no rabbit expert ones available till then.

The only other thing - I do have baytril left from his recent UTI .. it would be naughty of me, but would anybody be tempted to start giving it, just in case?

Just seen this - sorry not to reply!

No, I do not think it's myxi at all. Flushing the tear duct is something a vet should be able to do on a conscious rabbit. I even have the 'gear' at home (supplied by my vet) and had it explained how to flush a rabbit's tear ducts myself so I know it's possible. I wouldn't suggest doing it yourself, but obviously it's best to avoid the risk and expense of a GA if at all possible :)

Thanks for all replies. I am feeling much more positive :)

Will see vets armed with your advice on Monday. Practice has a couple of good vets so should hopefully get a good next step suggestion from them as well.

Thanks all :wave:

Will see vets armed with your advice on Monday. Practice has a couple of good vets so should hopefully get a good next step suggestion from them as well.

So welcome Cara :wave:

Another poor Vet due to face the force of RU !! :lol: Hope the appointment goes well xx

Vet thinks Teddys eye has improved, but agreed it isn't right.

Tear duct flush today (£44 … so costs are now mounting). Was pleased to remove a reasonable amount of stringy gunk but solution didn't flush through nose, unfortunately. Discharge is milky if that is any indication?

Vet thinks teeth prob is weigh down list and at this stage thinks gunk is still blocking duct. Am carrying on with drops and monitoring and if no improvement, back for, potentially, another flush (local anaesthetic).

Trust my vet, but always good to hear other opinions … agree we are on the right track?

Vet thinks Teddys eye has improved, but agreed it isn't right.

Tear duct flush today (£44 … so costs are now mounting). Was pleased to remove a reasonable amount of stringy gunk but solution didn't flush through nose, unfortunately. Discharge is milky if that is any indication?

Vet thinks teeth prob is weigh down list and at this stage thinks gunk is still blocking duct. Am carrying on with drops and monitoring and if no improvement, back for, potentially, another flush (local anaesthetic).

Trust my vet, but always good to hear other opinions … agree we are on the right track?

Glad to hear he flushed the tear duct and didn't need GA :thumb:

Hopefully if the vet thinks teeth are not involved, and he has flushed (almost) successfully then perhaps things will begin to get better

So Teddys eye is generally much better :)

However I have noticed an occasional 'cloudiness' in his eye. I am wondering is this the Third Eye, rather than a milkly discharge which I thought it was. I did try, gently, to remove it but was rather squeamish (possibly just as well).

Yesterday, his fur was perfectly dry, although this morning a little damp again but wondering if this is because I interfered with his his eye :(

I have an appointment tomorrow, but don't want to unnecessarily stress him or pay more vets bills if I can help it.

Can anyone advise me on this Third Eye and if it is possibly that which I am (intermittently) seeing in Teddys eye please?

However I have noticed an occasional 'cloudiness' in his eye. I am wondering is this the Third Eye, rather than a milkly discharge which I thought it was. I did try, gently, to remove it but was rather squeamish (possibly just as well).

Yesterday, his fur was perfectly dry, although this morning a little damp again but wondering if this is because I interfered with his his eye :(

I have an appointment tomorrow, but don't want to unnecessarily stress him or pay more vets bills if I can help it.

Can anyone advise me on this Third Eye and if it is possibly that which I am (intermittently) seeing in Teddys eye please?

Does it look anything like the photos here?

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Differential/Nictitating.htm

Alternatively, are you able to post a photo? x

The arrow indicates the third eyelid

It can be more prominent when the Rabbit has an eye infection x

Yes, I think if you're not sure then tread carefully, though bathing with cooled boiled water (and a pinch of salt) will not do any harm, so long as you're gentle :)

Yes, sort of :?

It's not always visible though. Am thinking I will have to keep the appointment tomorrow.

Thanks for your replies :wave:

Nipped nipped out to give him a treat and Third Eye was very visible, so will keep appointment.

Back