• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Older Rabbits

bunnymum85

Warren Scout
Hello,

Me and the vet are struggling to find out why bunny has got sore hocks from, as she is never allowed to sit in wet bedding, cleared regularly and apart from sore hocks is in great condition for an 8 year old.

The only thing I can think, is that being older the fur on her feet has thinned, exposing the skin more.

She doesn't seem to move around a lot either, mostly sitting, or lying during the day. Clearly more active at night, as it looks like party time in there lol.
Also currently on Metacam + Baytril to aid healing of the hocks, but wouldn't say it's making her more mobile as such.
The hutch us 7ft x 3ft so she has space to move around if she wants to, at least I can put her back in the run. This was connected via a corrugated pipe, but this was suspected as causing damage to the hocks so I'm working out a new plan for that in the meantime. The pipe has only been in for a few months.

Thanks.

Hello,

Me and the vet are struggling to find out why bunny has got sore hocks from, as she is never allowed to sit in wet bedding, cleared regularly and apart from sore hocks is in great condition for an 8 year old.

The only thing I can think, is that being older the fur on her feet has thinned, exposing the skin more.

She doesn't seem to move around a lot either, mostly sitting, or lying during the day. Clearly more active at night, as it looks like party time in there lol.
Also currently on Metacam + Baytril to aid healing of the hocks, but wouldn't say it's making her more mobile as such.
The hutch us 7ft x 3ft so she has space to move around if she wants to, at least I can put her back in the run. This was connected via a corrugated pipe, but this was suspected as causing damage to the hocks so I'm working out a new plan for that in the meantime. The pipe has only been in for a few months.

Thanks.

It may be that the sore hocks are secondary to arthritis in your Rabbit's spine/hips. This is not an unusual finding in older Rabbits and it often means they become less active. They may also adopt a different stance when they do hop about, taking more weight than normal on the plantar area of their foot leading to fur loss and eventually sore hocks.

Has the Vet considered arthritis as being the primary problem ? Metacam is a good non steroidal anti-inflammatory analgesic, so that should address pain associated with any arthritic condition.

What substrate do you keep her on ?

Hello,

Thanks.

I must say I don't always find Metcam an immense help in aiding arthritis, and consequently sore hocks. Though I agree it's a very good thing to try.

Have you tried keeping her on something like rubber stable matting? Is her run on grass or concrete? Very often it's what the rabbit is kept on that will either exacerbate or help to heal sore hocks.

Good luck xx

Thank you both for replying.

Foxy is currently on paper wool, safebed in her bathroom (was hay, until she came back from the vets and needed cushioning) and her main area is all vet bed. She is hutch bound at the moment, until I get the OK from the vets to let her back out again. Problem is, she had a tube connection but that's corrugated and won't help with the sore hocks.

I've never heard of stable mat, rubber? Isn't that too hard, and where would I get it from please?

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foxy is currently on paper wool, safebed in her bathroom (was hay, until she came back from the vets and needed cushioning) and her main area is all vet bed. She is hutch bound at the moment, until I get the OK from the vets to let her back out again. Problem is, she had a tube connection but that's corrugated and won't help with the sore hocks.

I've never heard of stable mat, rubber? Isn't that too hard, and where would I get it from please?

Thank you

Some stable matting is cushioned. This one for example

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bubbletop...948813?hash=item3d183235cd:g:EFgAAOSwpDdVAA8P

Thank you

Stable matting, or rubber matting, is very good for older feet. Sore feet or sore hocks do very well on it :D

People have bought it from various places, including eBay:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...ubber-stable-matting&highlight=rubber+matting

Or something like these ...

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1587247.htm

Memory foam mats can also be useful:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pooch-Prod...5-0277406?ie=UTF8&refRID=0SSANAEBNHW63ZG9HBAB

Hope that helps :D

Thank you so much. Advisable to move away from the vet bed, in main area or mix/match the above with it?

Good idea, thank you. The link from Argos, is that basically stable matting? As I think I'll try that also.

It may be that the sore hocks are secondary to arthritis in your Rabbit's spine/hips. This is not an unusual finding in older Rabbits and it often means they become less active. They may also adopt a different stance when they do hop about, taking more weight than normal on the plantar area of their foot leading to fur loss and eventually sore hocks.

Has the Vet considered arthritis as being the primary problem ? Metacam is a good non steroidal anti-inflammatory analgesic, so that should address pain associated with any arthritic condition.

What substrate do you keep her on ?

Also, went to see the vet this morning who was useless and actually asked me if I thought she had arthritis, my usual and best vet is now away for two weeks. Foxy is going for another check on Thursday, after that I assume will be it, I will take her again to see the good vet when she is back, to investigate further if there is an underlying cause for the hocks, and is putting too much weight in a certain area. Wish I was Dr Dolittle sometimes lol

Also, went to see the vet this morning who was useless and actually asked me if I thought she had arthritis, my usual and best vet is now away for two weeks. Foxy is going for another check on Thursday, after that I assume will be it, I will take her again to see the good vet when she is back, to investigate further if there is an underlying cause for the hocks, and is putting too much weight in a certain area. Wish I was Dr Dolittle sometimes lol

Oh dear, hopefully your usual Vet will be more helpful. Is Foxy still on Metacam ?

Thank you so much. Advisable to move away from the vet bed, in main area or mix/match the above with it?

You're very welcome :thumb:

Vet bed is amazing stuff. I use it where a bun is incontinent, so they don't end up wet from their own urine.

Any soft rubber matting is good :D

My bun has sore hocks due to arthritis and I can honestly say I've tried everything. Even the foam play mats covered in a duvet cover. It has made no difference to him at all because it's to do with the way he sits/stands/hops. Obviously softer flooring will prevent it getting worse (hopefully) and something like stable matting will give your bun more grip when hopping, which is a good idea if they do have arthritis.

Fiver (arthritic bun) is on metacam every day and also some joint supplements (oxbow joint support tablets) every day. He goes for acupuncture every 4-6 weeks and tbh that is what has helped him more than anything. Bear in mind that your bun may be in significant pain. The first time I realised something wasn't right with Fiver it was his hocks I noticed. It wasn't until I really sat and watched him that I realised he was in quite a lot of pain. He was sitting very oddly, tucking his front paws right back to his feet and pushing down on his hocks, he also never flopped out anymore. He masked it very well and had no mobility issues whatsoever so I was very shocked to find he had quite bad arthritis in his spine.
Fortunately a high dose of metacam and acupuncture sorted him out and I've now even been able to lower his metacam dose significantly since starting the acupuncture. :)
I have him on carpet, covered in vet bed and in the Summer he goes outside during the day on grass to help him even more.
Make sure to keep her warm. Cold and wet really does affect arthritic joints and Fiver will sit next to the radiator in the winter so a snuggle safe or warm hotwater bottle might be useful in cold weather. :)

Good luck!

Would this be okay:
4b8b5564849424cd2161f5bea32417ea.png

I think there are a couple members that use these for their indoor rabbits?

The only thing I'd want to keep a close eye on is chewing.

Hi MightyMax,

Sorry I was referring to your post above, and the Argos link. They looked similar, and I wanted to check I was in the right place :)

Foxy is a very clean rabbit, toilets in one area chucks hay around, trying to find the good bits otherwise tidy so I can't see it being a problem.

I'll do or buy anything if it'll help. Back to the vets tomorrow, so will see if she can go back out in her run but I'm quite worried about her and the foot :(

Hi MightyMax,

Sorry I was referring to your post above, and the Argos link. They looked similar, and I wanted to check I was in the right place :)

Foxy is a very clean rabbit, toilets in one area chucks hay around, trying to find the good bits otherwise tidy so I can't see it being a problem.

I'll do or buy anything if it'll help. Back to the vets tomorrow, so will see if she can go back out in her run but I'm quite worried about her and the foot :(

Sorry Bunnymum, I know you meant the tiles (Argos) but it was them I was thinking how you would keep them clean - not the rabbits :D

I thought dirt and bits of hay etc might get in the cracks between those hearts etc, and also they may fall apart (are they not jigsaw style?) when you lift them up? :D

But apart from that, they would seem to be soft on the feet x

I've got similar matting down in my kennel and run. As well as being cushioned, it's a bit warmer underfoot too.

My newest bunny had a nibble of one when she first came but she didn't ingest it, thankfully, just spat it out all over lol!

Mine are just plain square tiles but I'm guessing the hearts in the tiles you linked to must be quite a snug fit so it shouldn't be a problem to keep them clean.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Back