• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Discharge and Swollen Eyes/Nose UD page 4 Its myxi

We have an appointment for Friday afternoon, DH is taking a half day from work to take her over. Thankfully she is still fine in herself, enjoyed some pear this afternoon and her eye looks ever so slightly better. The shape and look of her nose still doesn't look right to me, but its so hard to know. I am pretty sure they will do x-rays on Friday on a high-spec machine so that may tell us more.

Thanks everyone.

Good luck for Friday - I hope she stays well in the meantime :D

Thanks for all the thoughts and vibes.

She is at Manor Vets right now and I just got a message from DH to say that they are taking some blood tests but that she is booked in for a GA on Tuesday as the lump is either an abscess or a tumour :( If it is an abscess they will remove it and clean it out there and then, if it is a tumour they will take a biopsy.

She will be on her way home in a minute and I think some treats are in order. Poor little thing.

Sending lots of vibes for Buttercup for her GA next Tuesday. Hopefully the lump will prove to be something that can be easily dealt with.

Thanks for all the thoughts and vibes.

She is at Manor Vets right now and I just got a message from DH to say that they are taking some blood tests but that she is booked in for a GA on Tuesday as the lump is either an abscess or a tumour :( If it is an abscess they will remove it and clean it out there and then, if it is a tumour they will take a biopsy.

She will be on her way home in a minute and I think some treats are in order. Poor little thing.

Ah poor wee one :)

I hope the lump can be easily dealt with, and that Buttercup stays well over the weekend.

Good luck for the GA next week xx

Thank you. I haven't really had a chance to talk properly with DH about it as the children have been around, and don't want to worry them, but it seems that in the vets experience what Buttercup has is more likely to be a tumour (speculation only at this point). She has some blood in her nasal cavity too. This kind of fits with my feeling that what's there is kind of a weird grey/black colour. If it is an abscess then he thinks it is probably very deep, possibly under the bone. Her pain meds and antibiotics have been put up to the maximum dose.

It looks like we should be prepared to hear that Buttercup is a very poorly rabbit :(

It will be Molly Varga herself who will be doing the procedure on Tuesday so that is some comfort at least.

Last edited:
Thank you. I haven't really had a chance to talk properly with DH about it as the children have been around, and don't want to worry them, but it seems that in the vets experience what Buttercup has is more likely to be a tumour. She has some blood in her nasal cavity too. This kind of fits with my feeling that what's there is kind of a weird grey/black colour. If it is an abscess then he thinks it is probably very deep, possibly under the bone. Her pain meds and antibiotics have been put up to the maximum dose.

It looks like we should be prepared to hear that Buttercup is a very poorly rabbit :(

It will be Molly Varga herself who will be doing the procedure on Tuesday so that is some comfort at least

Well Buttercup will certainly be in the care of an expert. I do hope that things turn out not to be as bleak as you fear and that Buttercup can pull through xx

Thank you. I haven't really had a chance to talk properly with DH about it as the children have been around, and don't want to worry them, but it seems that in the vets experience what Buttercup has is more likely to be a tumour (speculation only at this point). She has some blood in her nasal cavity too. This kind of fits with my feeling that what's there is kind of a weird grey/black colour. If it is an abscess then he thinks it is probably very deep, possibly under the bone. Her pain meds and antibiotics have been put up to the maximum dose.

It will be Molly Varga herself who will be doing the procedure on Tuesday so that is some comfort at least.

Oh dear, that does sound worrying :( You have Molly on your side - one of the best :)

How old are your children? You have to be brave for them and for Buttercup don't you xx

Oh dear, that does sound worrying :( You have Molly on your side - one of the best :)

How old are your children? You have to be brave for them and for Buttercup don't you xx

Yes, my eldest is 3, nearly 4, and loves Buttercup. She went out to give her a treat when she got home. We will explain that Buttercup is poorly once we have a firmer idea of what is wrong with her, as she will likely ask lots of questions. Thanks. x

Yes, my eldest is 3, nearly 4, and loves Buttercup. She went out to give her a treat when she got home. We will explain that Buttercup is poorly once we have a firmer idea of what is wrong with her, as she will likely ask lots of questions. Thanks. x

Vibes for you all :love:

Update:

Buttercup has had her GA today and while under, Molly was able to have a good look at everything and Buttercup has no abscess nor tumour, instead she has myxi but the fact that she has remained relatively lively, still had her appetite and pooing etc, means the vaccination has worked and she is probably through the worst of it. She has some scabbing still around her eyes (and I guess what I noticed on her nose is a large nodule, or cluster of nodules?) and depending on how that heals she may have some problems closing her eyelid and blinking so its possible she may need a little bit of surgery on her eye or long-term eye drops so will stay under Molly's care for several weeks as she recovers and Molly will review her and see what may or may not be needed.

DH can collect her this evening to bring her home.

Vaccination has saved her life!

Questions: we don't know where she will have contracted myxi from. I haven't noticed many biting insects in our garden lately, and we don't have any standing water to attract them. It is highly unlikely that a wild rabbit could get into our garden as our garden is very well rabbit proofed and we're not particularly near many green spaces where rabbits would be. However, we have been out to a few places lately where we could have brought it back on our feet. In particular a farm animal sanctuary a couple of weeks ago. DD and I wore wellies that we rinsed there as we were leaving, but do we need to disinfect them now? (They are in the car in plastic bags) If so what is the best method? DH wore canvas trainer type things.

Zebedee remains symptom free thankfully - how does that work? Is it not highly contagious?

What is the incubation period of myxi, from exposure to symptoms showing?

Anyway thanks for all your vibes and thoughts everyone :love:

Last edited:
Update:

Buttercup has had her GA today and while under, Molly was able to have a good look at everything and Buttercup has no abscess nor tumour, instead she has myxi but the fact that she has remained relatively lively, still had her appetite and pooing etc, means the vaccination has worked and she is probably through the worst of it. She has some scabbing still around her eyes (and I guess what I noticed on her nose is a large nodule, or cluster of nodules?) and depending on how that heals she may have some problems closing her eyelid and blinking so its possible she may need a little bit of surgery on her eye or long-term eye drops so will stay under Molly's care for several weeks as she recovers and Molly will review her and see what may or may not be needed.

DH can collect her this evening to bring her home.

Vaccination has saved her life!

Questions: we don't know where she will have contracted myxi from. I haven't noticed many biting insects in our garden lately, and we don't have any standing water to attract them. It is highly unlikely that a wild rabbit could get into our garden as our garden is very well rabbit proofed. However, we have been out to a few places lately where we could have brought it back on our feet. In particular a farm animal sanctuary a week or two ago. DD and I wore wellies that we rinsed there as we were leaving, but do we need to disinfect them now? (They are in the car in plastic bags) If so what is the best method? DH wore canvas trainer type things.

Zebedee remains symptom free thankfully - how does that work? Is it not highly contagious?

Anyway thanks for all your vibes and thoughts everyone :love:

Oh my goodness, another case of myxi in a vaccinated rabbit :shock: I am so pleased for Buttercup that she's doing so very well. That's great to hear :D

Myxi is spread by biting insects so I can understand you can't think how it came to be that Buttercup got bitten. VHD can be brought in on feet, car tyres etc ... are your rabbits vaccinated against RHD2? Not that it has any connection with the myxi you are experiencing, but if you visit animal sanctuaries it's as well to be protected.

Virkon is excellent at disinfecting. Though as I say, Myxi is spread by biting insects. Have a read here:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/understanding_myxo_feb06.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Viral_diseases/Myxo/Myxo.htm

i am so glad it wasnt what you feared and buttercup can get better. Ive just had one of my buns refered to molly so its nice to hear shes doing brilliant work. Loads of get well vibes for buttercup. xx

Thank you both :D

Its pretty frightening to think she's had myxi and that we've had it here without knowing. I will disinfect their kennel and run area too. Thanks for the recommendation of Virkon.

We don't often go to sanctuaries, but yes they are both vaccinated against RHD2 thankfully (am I right in thinking that also contains myxi vacc? Just because my calendar says they are both due their vaccinations this week but that was based on their last annual RHD/myxi booster, and not the new one which was given in the summer sometime)

How scary. Glad Buttercup is through the worst. I know little about myxi. I am taking my two permanent foster girls in for their first vacs tomorrow. Had to allow them time after their spays. At least the vacs seems to help those getting myxi through the worst symptoms. Xxx

I'm sorry she has myxomatosis :(

The RHD2 vaccine doesn't offer protection against myxomatosis (it offers protection from RHD and RHD2).

I can't imagine the vets will give the combination vaccine while she's fighting myxomatosis.
I've seen quite a few reports lately of vaccinated rabbits contracting myxomatosis.

Lots of healing vibes xx

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back