• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

They took matters into their own paws...

dbu13mr

Young Bun
Hi everyone,

Recently had a thread about whether I'd be able to bond a neutered boy back with the rest of the troop. The situation was that I'd got two rabbits, told they were mother and daughter but, on inspection at the vets, told they were mother and son. Separated them immediately, he had his operation and then I thought it would be a simple car journey to rebond the two of them.

One litter of kits later, and dad was kept apart as the vet wa worried he'd hurt the kits. Mother and babies were in a large run, complete with burrow, whilst dad was in a separate hutch and run. I was worried that rebonding was going to be a nightmare, as how can you disinfect a burrow?

Dad kept escaping his run into the neighbour's garden to get to the back where he could be close to the others (countryside living, only fence between the gardens for the top ten meters, then open woodland behind) so I started opening the run so he had free reign in our garden, and could get as close to the others as possible. Was waiting til I had my new shed built then was planning on putting them all (including the youngster with questionable genitalia) in there and sleeping there myself whilst they sorted themselves out.

However...

Got home from work yesterday to find all the rabbits running around our garden. Mother had burrowed out of the run (DP had semi-destroyed the burrow she'd dug earlier, meaning it was work of seconds to come up to the surface and out they'd all come. So they are now back as one group. No blood spilt, though there was a wee bit of chasing that I saw (simply the youngsters invading dad's personal space) but, overall, they're a happy family group!

Chasing 6 rabbits into their runs last night was more exercise than I'd planned on having, but never mind!

All's well that ends well!

How amazing. I can think of worse ways to exercise!!! Hope all continues to go well for your bonded group.

Back