• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thinking of extending!

KatieMax

Warren Scout
Hello :) It's been a while since I posted on here. I got Ruby about a year ago now, and a couple of months later I got her a massive new hutch and a friend, Rusty. Their home is a two tier hutch 6ft by 3ft and each level is 2ft high. They have a permanently attached run 8ft by 4ft.

I would like to add on another run to go on the grass but I have a few questions:

1) Tunnel connections from Welfare Hutch or Runaround?
2) I want the run to be movable around the garden, will the bunnies be okay with a wire mesh under the run? Something like this: http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Heavy-Duty-Plant-Mesh-Green-500mm-x-5m/p/187779
3) Will the above mesh be strong enough?
4) What is a good size for moving around? I was tempted by a 10ft x 6ft run but I think it will be too difficult to move and I'm nervous about it on our lawn because it isn't very flat in places.
5) Would two smaller runs be better than one big one? I want to give them the most space for running around I can.

Thank you so much if you can offer advice on any of these questions! :D I'll try and figure out how to add photos for you

I can definitely recommend runaround, the connectors are durable and stand up to all weathers and it was impossible for my rabbits to chew :thumb:
I think the mesh you linked is plastic, rabbits or predators could easily chew through it to get in or out. You really need weldmesh, 16 or 19 gauge buried under the turf where the run will be to stop them digging out or anything getting in. If the lawn is not level it will mean the run might have gaps under the edges which would need to be addressed.
Moving a run around a garden would be difficult because of the above points, unless you had mesh under the places it would go.

I have the welfare connector from my hutch to run and I've been very happy with it. The surrounds are made of wood and even though my Edward is a nibbler he hasn't nibbled them at all. I don't know about the Runaround ones but the Welfare ones take a bit of work if you want to close off the tunnel. you have to undo 4 wing nuts and replace the tunnel with a blanking plate.

I wouldn't recommend plastic mesh. This is the mesh that I have under my run. It's a permanent fixture and extends about 10" out from the edge of the run so nothing can dig in and the rabbits can't dig out.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-25mm-Garden-Cage+Aviary-Wire-Mesh-Galvanised-900mm-x-6m/p/187735

I'll be interested to know what you come up with because I'd like to give Edward and Twix a bit more space. They currently have supervised exercise time on the lawn in two sets of puppy panels joined together but I'd like to set up another moveable run for the lawn.

Thank you for your replies, I think I'm going to go for runaround because they seem to be a step ahead in terms of development and ease of use.

For the run. I don't want to have the tub fixed to one place because our garden isn't very big so I'd like to be able to put the run away to the side when people are round. Also, I don't want to dig up my garden. Would this mesh be better? Is pvc coated so I was hoping softer on their feet? I've got some already and it is tough to cut through and my rabbits aren't diggers, so would that work?

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Garden-Wire-Fencing-PVC-Coated-600mm-x-10m/p/187736

Please let me know if not. I'm trying to do what's best for the bunnies but I don't want to destroy my whole garden in the process.

I would be willing to pay someone to come and level my lawn to solve the problem of the uneven lawn. In either case would one big or two small rooms be better?

I wouldn't use PVC coated mesh as the rabbits can nibble the coating off.

I think there is some confusion over mesh being bad for rabbit's feet. Please correct me if I'm wrong but mesh is bad when the whole cage floor is made of mesh AND raised off the ground so the rabbit is always standing on mesh and fresh air. It's not as bad when the mesh is laid directly on the ground, although I'm sure there are some rabbits with sensitive hocks who wouldn't be able to tolerate that either.

I'd say 2ft would be the minimum height for a run. 3ft is better but it's going to be heavier and more difficult to move around.

Back