• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rudy, U/D ...the end...

So, I just typed a long explanation then googled the spelling of caecotroph and lost my text:(:( I haven't got the energy to type it all again but I'm worried about him.

He fell awkwardly yesterday after having a week of not being good anyway. His mobility is really poor today but his appetite is excellent! He's clean underneath and is taking himself to the litter tray, although his balance and co-ordination is terrible, I'm amazed that that's still important to him.

I'm torn on which vet to take him to - possibly both? I'm really struggling for the best outcome for him.

I could take him to the "rabbit vets", which involves 1.5 hour round trip, the vet seeing him would be an orthopaedic surgeon, they could x-ray there and then if needed. I'm pretty sure Tramadol is what will be offered, I don't get the impression there is anywhere else to go.

If I take him to the local vets there will be less expertise but a 5 minute journey and they have acupuncture/laser therapy/physiotherapy ... I'm not actually sure if any of those are available for rabbits (website just talks about cats and dogs) but may be more use than pharmacotherapy (in addition to, being an option).

Really, really don't know what to do but I can't leave him as he is long term. I'm sitting it out today as he fell badly so may improve a fair bit in the next 24 hours.... My chosen vet locally isn't available tomorrow. He had been doing so well, as well :cry::cry: He's about a week short of his official tenth birthday.

Oh bless, poor man. He may well have severely jarred himself and as you say this could improve over the next 24 hours. How would he be with having a heat pad held to his back for a while. Endeavour gets great relief from some heat therapy for his arthritis. Is your local 'chosen Vet' going to be available on Thursday ? I guess not having to travel far would be a bonus for Rudy xx

Jack's Oh bless said:
Yes, she's available Thursday. Thanks for the idea re the heat pad, I will try it. I think I need to treat this like arthritis even if we don't know the origins. It's inflammation of some sort so this could relieve it

Endeavour goes and sits under a radiator when his back is really sore. It seems to help relax the muscles and thus alleviate some of the discomfort.

Yes, she's available Thursday. Thanks for the idea re the heat pad, I will try it. I think I need to treat this like arthritis even if we don't know the origins. It's inflammation of some sort so this could relieve it

I hope Rudy is feeling better soon, sending lots of vibes for him xx

Thanks all.

I'm pretty sure at the moment that I will take him the long trip to the rabbit vets today. If my local vet was available today I'd still be in a dilemma! Even though it's a long trip I suspect they will x-ray to compare to last time's, see if this is a strain or deterioration of the disease process. The sooner we try Tramadol the better (was told on phone this was the next option).

Rudy is extremely bright in himself. He's not able to mobilise on his hind legs (he tries to stand with the good leg but I think the displacement of weight means it's not possible) but has managed to adapt to spinning round. he's eaten a tonne of forage and greens in the last 36 hours or so, I doubt he can drink from his bowl but he *should* be well hydrated. I'll see what the vet says about syringing him water, I don't want to cause him any stress given his potential breathing issues. I've ordered a 'garden potting tray' as at the moment getting in and out of the low sided litter try is very precarious but he was doing it yesterday. I know we are not thinking 'long term' but in case we are thinking 'short term' I might as well adapt for him. It will be so hard to make any decision if he remains bright but I keep hearing what my dad says about his similar circumstances, he expresses his wishes clearly :(

Sending loads of vibes for Rudy. I hope the rabbit vets can make him feel more comfortable.

Also sending you some hugs.

I'm glad he is bright in himself, I hope that the rabbit vet can get him comfortable so that he can enjoy some more time xx

I'm glad he is bright in himself, I hope that the rabbit vet can get him comfortable so that he can enjoy some more time xx

Yes, it is always a positive when a Rabbit remains in good spirits despite having health problems. Lots more vibes being sent xx

Thank you all so much for the kind wishes and support over the last few months, nearly a year in fact.

Astonishingly, Rudy had broken his femur, his demeanour certainly didn't give this away at all - I gave him a shreddie with Metacam on it this morning and he still had the "run to a secret place to eat it" mentality and got very excited, it was actually confusing and a bit heartbreaking to watch as well as good to see his enthusiasm.

Given all else that was going on with Rudy but most especially that his other leg was also diseased - he would not be able to weightbear on the other leg without a lot of pain and risk, that's if he stood even the remotest chance of getting through amputation. (Repair was not an option as the bone was brittle and diseased, the reason it broke so easily).

So, after his long and very brave battle, my beautifully, gentle Rudy is now at rest. He went so peacefully, just as he deserved.

I've not brought him home, he's been left with Frances Harcourt-Brown so she can find out what ailed him.

Last edited:
Thank you all so much for the kind wishes and support over the last few months, nearly a year in fact.

Astonishingly, Rudy had broken his femur, his demeanour certainly didn't give this away at all - I gave him a shreddie with Metacam on it this morning and he still had the "run to a secret place to eat it" mentality and got very excited, it was actually confusing and a bit heartbreaking to watch as well as good to see his enthusiasm.

Given all else that was going on with Rudy but most especially that his other leg was also diseased - he would not be able to weightbear on the other leg without a lot of pain and risk, that's if he stood even the remotest chance of getting through amputation. (Repair was not an option as the bone was brittle and diseased, the reason it broke so easily).

So, after his long and very brave battle, my beautifully, gentle Rudy is now at rest. He went so peacefully, just as he deserved.

I've not brought him home, he's been left with Frances Harcourt-Brown so she can find out what ailed him.

What a very brave lad he was. A peaceful and dignified passing is what every Rabbit deserves when their time comes and you ensured that Rudy had that.

If only our little fury friends could live forever....................

RIP Rudy xx

R.I.P. Rudy

I am so very sorry. I've been following Rudy's story all along. Such a beautiful brave boy. So glad he went to the bridge peacefully. Bless him. xxxxxxxx

Oh BB...I'm so very sorry. :cry:
There are no words. I'm thinking of and grieving with you. Rudy could have had no better life than he had with you. You will be in my prayers at this sad time. :cry:

Sleep well little soldier, Rudy. xxxxx

Thanks for the support everybody, his loss today has come as a bit of a shock as he just kept bouncing back.

This is what was found on PM:
Rudy had an invasive tumour in his leg. He also had an abscess, not a tumour in his chest. One liver lobe was missing, which fits with my provisional diagnosis of a liver lobe torsion in 2013. I think the lobe must have atrophied.

I'd got it completely fixed in my head that the chest and leg issues were connected, but not the case.

I'm so very sorry, but glad that your beloved friend had a peaceful ending, knowing that he was loved. Binky free little Rudy xxxx

Back