• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rudy, U/D ...the end...

That's my worst fear. I fear so much getting it wrong. After I got upset about his breathing and feeling thin I was away from him for a few minutes and when I saw him again he was just sat having a little preen as if everything was right with the world. I know he's alright in himself at the moment but if he's slightly off ... I just have to take this as it comes I guess, no point in what ifs.

I hope you and Rudy will be able to enjoy each new day as it comes. He is as lucky to have you as you are to have him.

So sorry to read this, have just caught up with this post. I really hope that Rudy can stay as comfy and happy for as long as possible. Sending mega vibes for Rudy, a gentle nose rub, and big hug for you xxxxx

Thanks all for the good wishes.

Rudy is alright in himself, still very greedy and determined - watching the kitchen door for anything to his advantage as usual :D He is however breathing more noisily a lot of the time (it doesn't seem to be causing him any stress) and I've heard him retching a few times, possible getting more frequent. I heard him retch quite a bit last night when he was eating his Excel which was a bit worrying. I think he eats less hay now but I did see him eating some enthusiastically yesterday. He really enjoys a snuggle but it breaks my heart as he feels so bony so it's a constant reminder when I'm cuddling him. I haven't weighed him again as I feel picking him out of his pen and putting him a carrier would be more stressful than the benefits of it.

Bless you and bless Rudy too.

My Rosie was a bit rattly in the chest last week when I picked her up - I had to to clean her eyes. I then had a bad day thinking that a decision may have to be made soon. As my hearing is poor, and she won't let me near her, checking her breathing is difficult. I have to kneel in her shed and gradually mover nearer to her :roll: But since then I have not noticed the rattling - it was maybe caused by the stress of me picking her up. She too is losing weight, but she is such a suspicious moo helping her is impossible. I have offered her more pellets, mushed up neat and as an option with baby food as I do suspect pellets expanding in her stomach may be uncomfortable, and have also tried porridge. All these offerings were looked upon as poison. I just give her more pellets now throughout the day for her to pick at.

Like Rudy, she is still uniquely Rosie and is still full spirit. It is very hard to watch and know that their bodies are failing :cry:

Sending you some hugs xx

Bless you and bless Rudy too.

My Rosie was a bit rattly in the chest last week when I picked her up - I had to to clean her eyes. I then had a bad day thinking that a decision may have to be made soon. As my hearing is poor, and she won't let me near her, checking her breathing is difficult. I have to kneel in her shed and gradually mover nearer to her :roll: But since then I have not noticed the rattling - it was maybe caused by the stress of me picking her up. She too is losing weight, but she is such a suspicious moo helping her is impossible. I have offered her more pellets, mushed up neat and as an option with baby food as I do suspect pellets expanding in her stomach may be uncomfortable, and have also tried porridge. All these offerings were looked upon as poison. I just give her more pellets now throughout the day for her to pick at.

Like Rudy, she is still uniquely Rosie and is still full spirit. It is very hard to watch and know that their bodies are failing :cry:

Sending you some hugs xx

Thank you. Sending some back.

Thanks all for the good wishes.

Rudy is alright in himself, still very greedy and determined - watching the kitchen door for anything to his advantage as usual :D He is however breathing more noisily a lot of the time (it doesn't seem to be causing him any stress) and I've heard him retching a few times, possible getting more frequent. I heard him retch quite a bit last night when he was eating his Excel which was a bit worrying. I think he eats less hay now but I did see him eating some enthusiastically yesterday. He really enjoys a snuggle but it breaks my heart as he feels so bony so it's a constant reminder when I'm cuddling him. I haven't weighed him again as I feel picking him out of his pen and putting him a carrier would be more stressful than the benefits of it.

Thank you for the update BB. I had thought you were immersed and wouldn't be able to get back to us :)

I understand entirely your position, having been through similar recently - it's a weigh up between stress, vet care, quality of life .. And it would appear you're coping with it well though I know it's a great drain emotionally.

Thinking of you and sending hugs xx

I know too well what it is like to have bunnies who are still living life to their fullest even as their bodies fail. When my last group of bunnies were all over 12 years of age my vet called it my geriatric ward.
May Rudy (Rosie too) enjoy every day they are given.

Poor Rudy is really looking frail now :cry: He's still very alert and desperate for food. His breathing is okay when he's not stressed.

He's developed a habit of sleeping on his side now which he always used to 'loaf' when he was resting. He looks very relaxed but I've wondered if it is easier to breathe in that position as there's less pressure on his lungs. However, he's started falling over/dragging one of his back legs a bit. I tried to trim his claws last night but only managed 3 as he got very stressed and his breathing was scary. He really resented me holding the foot of the leg he's dragging. The claws are long enough to be a hindrance to him but the stress of cutting them is the reason they are long :cry: He was biting at the clippers very angrily when I tried (I spent ages cuddling him and very gently got round to lifting his foot but he was having none of it). I feel he's going to be catching the claws if I don't trim them so I will have to persist. Not sure what's going on with the leg though. I will speak to the vet tomorrow. Taking him on a vet trip is a last resort with the potential for what it will do to his breathing.

He's still got enough about him to jump up onto his shelf last night :shock: It's about 14" as a NIC grid home. I was scared he would hurt himself jumping back down but although he studied it for a while he did manage it safely. I've blocked off the shelf now as I don't want to risk him falling and hurting himself. I'm amazed that he even went up, he just 'glided' up with ease.

Poor Rudy is really looking frail now :cry: He's still very alert and desperate for food. His breathing is okay when he's not stressed.

He's developed a habit of sleeping on his side now which he always used to 'loaf' when he was resting. He looks very relaxed but I've wondered if it is easier to breathe in that position as there's less pressure on his lungs. However, he's started falling over/dragging one of his back legs a bit. I tried to trim his claws last night but only managed 3 as he got very stressed and his breathing was scary. He really resented me holding the foot of the leg he's dragging. The claws are long enough to be a hindrance to him but the stress of cutting them is the reason they are long :cry: He was biting at the clippers very angrily when I tried (I spent ages cuddling him and very gently got round to lifting his foot but he was having none of it). I feel he's going to be catching the claws if I don't trim them so I will have to persist. Not sure what's going on with the leg though. I will speak to the vet tomorrow. Taking him on a vet trip is a last resort with the potential for what it will do to his breathing.

He's still got enough about him to jump up onto his shelf last night :shock: It's about 14" as a NIC grid home. I was scared he would hurt himself jumping back down but although he studied it for a while he did manage it safely. I've blocked off the shelf now as I don't want to risk him falling and hurting himself. I'm amazed that he even went up, he just 'glided' up with ease.

I was wondering how he'd got one.

Sending vibes for him and you x

Bless him, I wonder if he has some arthritis going on that is causing the hind leg issues. A few of my older Buns have had arthritic toes and that made nail clipping painful for them. Sending lots of vibes for Rudy Rabbit :love:

Thanks everyone for the wisdom and vibes.

I had quite a long chat with Heather who suggested Metacam for a few days/week or so, which I'd already started. She also suggested trying to cut his claws about an hour or so after a dose of Metacam, which I'd already planned to try.

I talked about his lying down position and she asked which side - prompting me to think his new position is to do with his leg not his lungs. I think she's right too, I think it's his leg, which leaves me more dilemma about minimal intervention v vet trip. Given what I described she thinks it's more likely injury than any underlying illness, especially connected to whatever is going on with his lungs. I'll monitor him for a week then consider taking him to the vets. I also discussed popping him to the local vets 5 minutes away - they are happy to work with local vet on it if it benefits Rudy :love:

I had quite a long chat with Heather who suggested Metacam for a few days/week or so, which I'd already started. She also suggested trying to cut his claws about an hour or so after a dose of Metacam, which I'd already planned to try.

I talked about his lying down position and she asked which side - prompting me to think his new position is to do with his leg not his lungs. I think she's right too, I think it's his leg, which leaves me more dilemma about minimal intervention v vet trip. Given what I described she thinks it's more likely injury than any underlying illness, especially connected to whatever is going on with his lungs. I'll monitor him for a week then consider taking him to the vets. I also discussed popping him to the local vets 5 minutes away - they are happy to work with local vet on it if it benefits Rudy :love:

Hopefully the Metacam will help him. At least there is an option of going to the local Vet if needs be rather than having to take him on a longer car journey. Morse was absolutely dreadful about travelling. It was the only thing that stressed him out xx

Really good to hear :)

Does he have a partner to keep him company? Apologies - I should know but can't remember!

Back