• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rudy, U/D ...the end...

Thanks for the support everybody, his loss today has come as a bit of a shock as he just kept bouncing back.

This is what was found on PM:
Rudy had an invasive tumour in his leg. He also had an abscess, not a tumour in his chest. One liver lobe was missing, which fits with my provisional diagnosis of a liver lobe torsion in 2013. I think the lobe must have atrophied.

I'd got it completely fixed in my head that the chest and leg issues were connected, but not the case.

(((((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))))) xx

I am sorry that you have had to say goodbye to Rudy. What an amazing little guy he was. He had a wonderful life with you, I hope in time that this eases the pain xx

Dear Bunny Bunny,

I am so sorry you had to lose your beloved Rudy so soon. You did right by him by giving him peace even though it had to be a difficult decision for you.

Thanks all for the support and good wishes. It's only 'rabbit people' that truly understand.

I can't believe it's only a week since I lost him. It seems much longer. This time last week I was hanging around waiting for him to have his x-ray. Rudy was somewhere in the back and I was in the waiting room. I didn't know it was going to take so long or I would have asked for him to be with me. I did eventually but was a long time thinking to do it. I was pretty sure then what the outcome would be. I've questions my decision so much since getting the PM results. I know realistically we'd reached a dead end but it's the first time I've made the decision for a rabbit so bright and not giving up. :cry:

Last night was the first time in nearly 9 years that I made a cooked meal and didn't have to worry about Rudy hiding when he smelt it. I cried a little when I though about it. I always used to be really scared of setting off the smoke detector given how much it scared him years ago when it happened. To be honest, I think it's only just hit me that he's gone. :cry:

Thanks all for the support and good wishes. It's only 'rabbit people' that truly understand.

I can't believe it's only a week since I lost him. It seems much longer. This time last week I was hanging around waiting for him to have his x-ray. Rudy was somewhere in the back and I was in the waiting room. I didn't know it was going to take so long or I would have asked for him to be with me. I did eventually but was a long time thinking to do it. I was pretty sure then what the outcome would be. I've questions my decision so much since getting the PM results. I know realistically we'd reached a dead end but it's the first time I've made the decision for a rabbit so bright and not giving up. :cry:

Last night was the first time in nearly 9 years that I made a cooked meal and didn't have to worry about Rudy hiding when he smelt it. I cried a little when I though about it. I always used to be really scared of setting off the smoke detector given how much it scared him years ago when it happened. To be honest, I think it's only just hit me that he's gone. :cry:

I'm sorry:cry: sometimes it takes a while to get used to :cry: you and he were lucky to have each other and you are bound to miss him :cry: it is strange the things that can upset us. For me one of the things was peeling a banana and not being mugged by Boots for it :cry:

Hugs xx

So sorry :cry:

I can understand that :cry: For what it's worth I think you made the right decision. Rudy sustained a pathological fracture. The only other option would have been amputation and chemotherapy. Even that would only have bought him a few more months of life. I would never subject a 10 year old Rabbit to that. I would not do it for a dog either. IMO it falls into the 'just because it's possible to carry out surgery/aggressive treatment does not mean it is right to do it' category.

[/B]

I can understand that :cry: For what it's worth I think you made the right decision. Rudy sustained a pathological fracture. The only other option would have been amputation and chemotherapy. Even that would only have bought him a few more months of life. I would never subject a 10 year old Rabbit to that. I would not do it for a dog either. IMO it falls into the 'just because it's possible to carry out surgery/aggressive treatment does not mean it is right to do it' category.

Thanks. Realistically I know that, I think I'm just doing the 'what ifs'. Way back when he first started limping and Sam said she was pretty sure it was cancer and offered to do an x-ray just to confirm the extent of bone involvement she said that there were no options, given his issues in his chest regardless of what we found bone-wise. So, in my heart I've known for 7 weeks that palliative was the only option. Heather advised me last week she thought letting him go was the only real option but said if I was absolutely determined to consider going down the amputation route then she we could get Frances and Nigel's input. I declined after a fairly short discussion about even if he could survive the surgery his other leg was diseased therefore the bad could only ever outweigh any good that might be possible. After getting the PM results I questioned if the other leg was in fact diseased... if his chest issues would have prevented successful GA.. I do know however that they would all have done more for him, had it been ethical, they knew I would fight with him if there was anything left. I think because it all just stopped so abruptly after a very intensive few weeks of making 'everything count' for him it's just taking some getting used to.

Thanks all for the support.

Last edited:
Back