• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rudy, U/D ...the end...

Thanks all for the support.

It's the bad news I was expecting - 'it' has progressed and is killing him. He's dying and even if we knew what 'it' was he's too weak to undergo anything invasive. :cry: He's bright enough within himself at the moment but as we don't know what 'it' is then we don't know if he had days... weeks... months, I have a bad feeling about it progressing fast.

The thing has grown and his arteries are narrowed, 'it' probably is something spreading within both lungs, he doesn't have pneumonia and he's bright enough but his breathing will deteriorate, much like Artie's did at the end of his life, it's not bringing back happy memories.:cry::cry: There's no treatment to suggest as no fluid in his lungs etc, steroids at a later stage may be an option but they could make it worse. FHB will be reviewing his case and may possibly have some suggestions. She's seen the first x-ray as well, as, as a retired person (!) she was on the premises this morning ... ironically she's preparing for a vet CPD on 'diseases of the thorax and abdomen".

He's coming round from the sedation and depending on how well he comes round he's either coming home later or tomorrow. I'll spoil him for as long as he's got.

My heart goes out to you BB. I am so sorry.

I hope Rudy has a comfortable time with you for as long as he's got. I know you will totally spoil him rotten :)

Thanks all for the support.

It's the bad news I was expecting - 'it' has progressed and is killing him. He's dying and even if we knew what 'it' was he's too weak to undergo anything invasive. :cry: He's bright enough within himself at the moment but as we don't know what 'it' is then we don't know if he had days... weeks... months, I have a bad feeling about it progressing fast.

The thing has grown and his arteries are narrowed, 'it' probably is something spreading within both lungs, he doesn't have pneumonia and he's bright enough but his breathing will deteriorate, much like Artie's did at the end of his life, it's not bringing back happy memories.:cry::cry: There's no treatment to suggest as no fluid in his lungs etc, steroids at a later stage may be an option but they could make it worse. FHB will be reviewing his case and may possibly have some suggestions. She's seen the first x-ray as well, as, as a retired person (!) she was on the premises this morning ... ironically she's preparing for a vet CPD on 'diseases of the thorax and abdomen".

He's coming round from the sedation and depending on how well he comes round he's either coming home later or tomorrow. I'll spoil him for as long as he's got.

I am so sorry that it is not good news :cry: The only 'good' thing is that as long as Rudy feels well within himself he will have no idea about how poorly he is. Sadly it is you who has to do the 'knowing' :cry:

I hope that he will be well enough to come home today and that he can then enjoy whatever time he has remaining. Sending many hugs to you xx

I'm so sorry :cry: I hope he can remain well for as long as possible. Sending hugs and vibes xx

I'm so very sorry Rudy's prognosis was not better. I am heartbroken for you. (((((Huge hugs))))) :cry:
Thinking of you and sending vibes and prayers for Rudy to remain as comfy as possible for as long as possible. xxxxx

I'm really sorry its not much better news. I hope you have some really special times ahead with your lovely boy

:( I just think he looks so sad right now, but I might be trying too hard to not miss anything. Earlier when I was making a brew he was racing back on forth on his top shelf in anticipation of what I would bring out of the kitchen. :love: He took about 5 hours to get interested in a spring green leaf but it's gone now, completely gone within 1/2 hour or so when he decided to eat it.

I was very worried for him when I got him home it took such a long time for him to calm down. He's such a gentle soul, I cant let anything bad happen to him. :(

I can't imagine how you are feeling right now. Prayers for you both xx

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

It is so hard isn't it trying to watch over poorly bunnies and worrying whether we are over-thinking. My Rosie has an enlarged heart and a month ago when she had a bad day in the heat I had phoned the vets and was ready to take her there for the last time. I had said though that I would wait until the temperature dropped as I didn't want her in the car in the heat. Within that extra hour or so she then rallied and is still with me now and still seems bright.

But every time I go out to her and see her just sitting, especially on her own in the run, after I suddenly lost BJ I wonder if she is 'happy'. But then I remember she is nine and a half now and is not going to be on the go all the time anyway. She is not completely on her own as I have a Wood bunny (Max) as a guest who is living alongside her in the shed to keep her company. She has perked up since he came along and I am almost considering having a second attempt at bonding them. The first time round Rosie was very nippy, so given she is poorly and Max is not my bunny I abandoned it. But maybe four weeks later she may have warmed to him.

I hope Rudy has a better day today now that he has settled back into his home. Thinking of you xx

It is so hard isn't it trying to watch over poorly bunnies and worrying whether we are over-thinking. My Rosie has an enlarged heart and a month ago when she had a bad day in the heat I had phoned the vets and was ready to take her there for the last time. I had said though that I would wait until the temperature dropped as I didn't want her in the car in the heat. Within that extra hour or so she then rallied and is still with me now and still seems bright.

But every time I go out to her and see her just sitting, especially on her own in the run, after I suddenly lost BJ I wonder if she is 'happy'. But then I remember she is nine and a half now and is not going to be on the go all the time anyway. She is not completely on her own as I have a Wood bunny (Max) as a guest who is living alongside her in the shed to keep her company. She has perked up since he came along and I am almost considering having a second attempt at bonding them. The first time round Rosie was very nippy, so given she is poorly and Max is not my bunny I abandoned it. But maybe four weeks later she may have warmed to him.

I hope Rudy has a better day today now that he has settled back into his home. Thinking of you xx

Thanks so much everyone, especially for this Vanessa, you have it spot on with the over-thinking. I got him some cavolo nero yesterday, although it's too expensive for feeding so many bunnies they all really love it so I'll give Rudy a leaf a day as it's worth it seeing him so excited. He's as greedy as ever again. He hoovered up his breakfast pellets in the time I was feeding the outdoor bunnies, I then made my breakfast and sat down by which time he was begging again :D I have a habit of giving the bunnies a handful of biscuit treats each when I eat a meal, which has been a bit of a bad move because as soon as I come out of the kitchen with a plate of my food the bunnies in the living room are going mad expecting to be fed - even if they only had pellets 10 minutes earlier! Rudy was leading this today and very insistent :love::love: Now he's over his vet trip he is on good form again. I've not heard any retching since he has come home.

I am glad to hear that Rudy is being Rudy again :D As Jane has said, it is us that has the worry, Rudy will be enjoying the now. Bless him, sending a nose rub from me and the wish that he continues to wolf down the cavolo nero for some time yet xx

Rudy felt really thin just now and as I was fussing him his breathing was rattly :cry::cry:

I have a copy of his recent medical history in a print out (in case he needs to be seen by a different vet practice) and a dose of vetergesic in case I want to sedate him for a car journey. yesterday I was feeling quite optimistic about how well he seemed in himself ... today I think it will overwhelm him quite quickly... it says on his notes that it's most likely neoplasia but could be an abscess.

Sending lots of hugs. It could be that he will have up and down days.

That's my worst fear. I fear so much getting it wrong. After I got upset about his breathing and feeling thin I was away from him for a few minutes and when I saw him again he was just sat having a little preen as if everything was right with the world. I know he's alright in himself at the moment but if he's slightly off ... I just have to take this as it comes I guess, no point in what ifs.

That's my worst fear. I fear so much getting it wrong. After I got upset about his breathing and feeling thin I was away from him for a few minutes and when I saw him again he was just sat having a little preen as if everything was right with the world. I know he's alright in himself at the moment but if he's slightly off ... I just have to take this as it comes I guess, no point in what ifs.

Been thinking of you and Rudy today .. How are you both? x

Back