• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rudy, U/D ...the end...

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
A couple of months ago he was investigated for weight loss and was found to have 'something' in his lungs. He had three x-rays at monthly intervals and the 'something' didn't change so it was decided that as 'it' wasn't bothering him, we wouldn't bother 'it'. His blood tests didn't show anything of concern.

His weight dipped again, he actually feels thin but at the same time had a weepy eye (poss not relevant, poss just rundown?) but more of concern he was doing a retch/cough thing intermittently. It was difficult to tell in this morning's consultation whether the rattliness (only apparent to me after the car journey) was in his head or lungs, poor boy was making such a noise, he always gets in a panic on car journeys and his breathing was really fast and loud:cry::cry: So, he's stayed and tomorrow he'll be having more x-rays, under sedation this time to get more angles and if his chest looks okay a GA to check out his throat (endoscope I presume but I blanked the details, the GA was the bit that I heard!).

Rudy is at least 9.5 so I worry at what will be found. I gave him a long cuddle (which I probably got more out of than him:oops:) before he was taken away. *stressed*

Last edited:
Many vibes for Rudy. I hope Crab Lane work their magic. Will he have his xrays this afternoon (bit late now I guess?) or tomorrow?

Sorry to hear that Rudy is giving more cause for concern. I hope that all will go well for him tomorrow, sending lots of vibes xx

Many vibes for Rudy. I hope Crab Lane work their magic. Will he have his xrays this afternoon (bit late now I guess?) or tomorrow?

Tomorrow. He was seen this morning but I've been to another (this time parent!) appointment in the meantime, so only just sat down. When I set off I was expecting him to have an x-ray this morning while I hung around but of cause the rattly breathing started since. I think there will be a lot of overnight stays when consulting Ruth as she spends all Monday consulting and all Tuesday operating/investigating. The retching only started on Friday and Ruth described it as "an unusual presentation in rabbits" so didn't want to start suggesting what it might be other than that there is no reason to connect it to the 'thing' in his lungs ... that said, the investigations are happening quickly given the other stuff going on.

Sorry to hear that Rudy is giving more cause for concern. I hope that all will go well for him tomorrow, sending lots of vibes xx

Thank you.

Lots of vibes for you and Rudy for tomorrow BB

I'll be thinking of you both. Happy though that he will be in excellent hands :D

Tomorrow. He was seen this morning but I've been to another (this time parent!) appointment in the meantime, so only just sat down. When I set off I was expecting him to have an x-ray this morning while I hung around but of cause the rattly breathing started since. I think there will be a lot of overnight stays when consulting Ruth as she spends all Monday consulting and all Tuesday operating/investigating. The retching only started on Friday and Ruth described it as "an unusual presentation in rabbits" so didn't want to start suggesting what it might be other than that there is no reason to connect it to the 'thing' in his lungs ... that said, the investigations are happening quickly given the other stuff going on.

FHB used to do similar didn't she. I guess it is better use of their time & expertise but for bunny owners its the worry of not being with them the night before :(

Sending loads of vibes for Rudy. I hope that your vet can establish what's going on with him.

Thanks all, much appreciated. Today's message says he's still breathing fast even though he's less stressed. I'm very worried for him:cry:

Thanks all, much appreciated. Today's message says he's still breathing fast even though he's less stressed. I'm very worried for him:cry:

I wont say 'try not to worry' as I know it's impossible not to do so. I just hope that whatever is causing the increased respiratory rate can be managed with treatment xx

Thanks all for the support.

It's the bad news I was expecting - 'it' has progressed and is killing him. He's dying and even if we knew what 'it' was he's too weak to undergo anything invasive. :cry: He's bright enough within himself at the moment but as we don't know what 'it' is then we don't know if he had days... weeks... months, I have a bad feeling about it progressing fast.

The thing has grown and his arteries are narrowed, 'it' probably is something spreading within both lungs, he doesn't have pneumonia and he's bright enough but his breathing will deteriorate, much like Artie's did at the end of his life, it's not bringing back happy memories.:cry::cry: There's no treatment to suggest as no fluid in his lungs etc, steroids at a later stage may be an option but they could make it worse. FHB will be reviewing his case and may possibly have some suggestions. She's seen the first x-ray as well, as, as a retired person (!) she was on the premises this morning ... ironically she's preparing for a vet CPD on 'diseases of the thorax and abdomen".

He's coming round from the sedation and depending on how well he comes round he's either coming home later or tomorrow. I'll spoil him for as long as he's got.

How heartbreaking :( I am so sorry that the news is not better. Poor Rudy :(

Sending loads and loads of squishy hugs. All he will know is that he is being very spoilt and enormously loved.

Back