• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can't decide on new house

Lozzibear

Warren Scout
I have decided to get the rabbits a new house in the New Year... I can't decide what to go for though! Currently they have a dog kennel and run, it is a total size of 10ft x 10ft (inside 4ft x 10ft and run 6ft x 10ft). It has a sloping roof, highest point about 5.5ft and lowest 5ft, so they have various levels. I will have a 10ft x 10ft space to work with for a new house, due to the layout of the garden this is my only suitable space so whatever I get needs to fit in that space, and I would rather make the most of the space. I can't afford to spend massive amounts of money, and I would also like something that isn't too hard to take if I move house.

Due to the financial side of it, one of my options would be to get a 10ft x 10ft aviary and put their hutch inside it (which is currently in the inside part of their house). I'm not sure on the exact sizes of the hutch, but I reckon it is about 5ft x 3.5ft x 2ft (it's a double story hutch so 3.5 is split). I know that is under the minimum welfare recommendations, but they would have constant access to the run, and they have various hideaways and their favourite thing is their Little Tykes activity cube, which is where they spend most of their time! Then a few months after purchasing the aviary, I can get a playhouse to put inside of it, instead of the hutch... that way they are getting the full 10ft x 10ft.

Other options would include a shed and run attached, but my worry with that would be losing space. Getting a run to fit around the shed, since I can't get a 10ft long but narrow shed, would be difficult, so I would maybe have to get say, a 6ft x 4ft shed to attach to a 10ft x 6ft run, so I would be losing a 4ft x 4ft space... I would have the same issue with a playhouse unless the run was tall enough to fit the playhouse in...

I'm starting to just ramble on now, but I have done so much reading and researching over the last week, and I am still at a loss as to decide what is the best home for them... does anyone have any inspiration on the best use of the space?

If your existing setup works then if I was you I'd go for the same again, or shed/aviary run setup built to fit your space. I think a shed/kennel is better than a hutch for inside space for the bunnies and for you for cleaning out/spending time with them :thumb:

A hutch doesn't give much shelter, although it would be a temporary measure. What is wrong with the existing kennel, is it getting old or you want some outdoor space.

the set up you have now sounds brilliant to me. Like tonibun said whats wrong with the one you have can it not be painted to freshen it up or is it falling apart. If you had a shed and aviary with catflap you wouldnt need a hutch if it was made cozy inside and you could still have various levels to add even more play splace so you wouldnt be losing space but gaining really.

Thanks for the replies.

I wouldn't go for the same again, mainly down to finances but also because it wouldn't be the easiest to take apart if we move. I have already decided that their current home would be left if we moved.

Their current house is okay... but the run part is covered, and has started to leak. As the roof is all joined up, I noticed after the heavy rain a few weeks ago, that it is starting to soak up and spread throughout the roof (albeit not actually dripping). I could possibly re-felt it, but the main issue would be that it is up against the garage and fence, so getting access to those two sides is near impossible... when we built it up, the garden layout was slightly different so we just build it slightly out of the space, and had four guys lift it into position. If I can figure out how to post photos I will post photos of what it is currently like. My other slight issue, is that the inside part doesn't have a window. So in summer, I leave the door open into the run so they have light. I wanted to cut a window into it, but OH was worried about wrecking it.

i use photobucket to upload my pics. It does sound good apart from the roof. At least with a shed and run it can be took apart if you make the run in panels then screw them together. Cant wait to see some photos of your set up and your buns too xx

Finally managed to sort photos - forgot my photobucket information, then it was full and wouldn't allow me to upload photos!

This is the rabbits house... this was it a few years ago before any buns moved in.

A photo from last year...

And one from the other week... the door is tied open to let light in, since there is no window, and there is a table behind it with a hay basket above.

It is a good house, but will need to change things if it is to stay.

I had quite a big window cut out in my 12 x 8 shed as it was so dark. The window is about 2.5 ft sq. I had it meshed, no glass. That seems to be a problem with sheds, they can be too dark whereas a playhouse with a few windows is much lighter.

just a thought about the roof. would it be cheaper putting the corrugated clear plastic over the felt roof. You can buy it in large sheets and screw it on. I dont know the price of felt so im not sure which would be better.

Thanks guys... corrugated plastic is a good idea. I am going to speak to OH this weekend (he is away for work just now) about fixing up the house, and what will work. I might just brave putting a window in...

i would. You could even buy a large picture from the charity show that has a glass front over it and gut the window hole to the size of the glass and putty it in, if you wanting glass.

That's a great setup! I was wondering if you could make the door there into a stable door, cutting above the middle hinge, adding a couple more for stability. Then you could make an inside meshed window panel, also on a hinge, so you'd have options to shut the lower half only. You could still make another window as well and have great summertime airflow

Thanks... I think I will definitely look into fixing it up. I am going to look at corrugated plastic for the roof, and I think a new floor would be good... what could I use for that? Plywood or something? It does already have a floor, but think an added bit would be good.

My 3 sheds have T & G floors as opposed to the playhouses which have something else (can't think of the name), but they never have plywood for some reason. Marine ply is the best but expensive I believe.

Back