• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Barriers for higher shelves/walkways - advice please

spinecho

Warren Scout
Hi,

Been busy today putting up more shelves/walkways in shed for bunnies: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?459336-Hew-shed-for-bunnies!-WIP-Pic-Heavy-(will-update)&p=6837274&viewfull=1#post6837274

Some questions for those who have already done this...
Do you put a barrier around the shelf for the higher shelves so the rabbits cannot jump off?

Will they jump off at such a height without barriers?

If you have used barriers, then what do you use and what height do they need to be as I would still like to see the rabbits!!!;)

Thanks.

Last edited:
I only ever put barriers up when I have baby buns access shelves because they have no fear/sense of perspective...but for grown bunnies I've never had a barrier and they don't seem to need one. I have a small barrier up one end of my high shelf (about 4 ft off the ground) in Fern & Primrose's shed but it's not for them, it's because I have a litter tray there and they push it off onto the floor otherwise :lol:

Thanks. The shelves are about 4ft off ground but are just walkways... didn't think about litter tray up there!!!
So much to learn😂😂😂

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I was scared of accidents more than them jumping off. Plus mine is over 3 levels with the second ramp going up to a 5ft level. My buns all run around it really fast and without the barriers they would shove one another off. I am a bit of a worry wort though lol..

I was scared of accidents more than them jumping off. Plus mine is over 3 levels with the second ramp going up to a 5ft level. My buns all run around it really fast and without the barriers they would shove one another off. I am a bit of a worry wort though lol..
[emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji1] [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I just have 1 higher up shelf, at the window. I decided to put willow edging around it to stop bunnies falling off however my current fosters love to sit up there and nibble the edging so it's not going to last long - planning to replace it probably with timber if I can find some the right size.

Back