• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Suitable rabbit housing

summerhaze

New Kit
Hi, I'm new here.
I used to have rabbits, I got one when I was little thinking that I had done all the research in the world but I never really kept my buns in suitable housing. I was ill-advised and got told that the small cage that I kept my first rabbit in was suitable. Luckily when I got another rabbit as a companion, I got a bigger cage but it still wasn't big enough. Just before my rabbits died, I was starting to make them the C and C cages but one bunny died and the other was poorly and couldn't and didn't like moving around, so I'd let her out every so often before she would hop around for 5 minutes and go straight back into her cage on her own accord.

Both of them have died and I am starting to look into getting another rabbit, now I have more experience and I am more mature and want to do right by my pets, so I am looking for suitable indoor housing solutions that are easy to clean and do not take up much space. I look after and will be getting a dog soon as well so as much as I wish I could, having a free range bunny wouldn't be a great idea. I'm thinking a cage and a run for the bunny but I am also looking into doing one of those Ikea hack rabbit cages and attaching a run to that.

Any suggestions as to which cages would be suitable would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome! Its lovely you're doing so much research.

I have this indoor cage for my girls.
http://m.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hutches_cages/rabbit_cage/100_cm_cages/284438

It's never shut and they have access to a 100sqft room at all times, and access to the whole house during the day.

Cage size requirements have come a long way as I'm sure you know and the size now required is much bigger. It should be a 6ft x 2ft hutch with constant access to a 6ft x 8ft run. Or something that provides 60sqft of space at all times.

A lot of people use dog crates as a base for their indoor rabbits then make a run that attaches to that if they can't have full roam of house or their own bedroom.

There's also the choice of bespoke made indoor housing such as manor pet housing and Boyles pet housing.

http://www.manorpethousing.co.uk/indoor-enclosures-rabbit-housing
https://boylespethousing.co.uk/bespoke-pet-housing/bespoke-gallery/

There is lots to chose from and its important to find something that works for you.

If you're due to be getting a dog, I'd look more into a bespoke made cage as that should be more secure from a dog trying to access.

I'd also look a lot into daily cost, veterinary fees, insurance etc. Health care has come along way for dogs and rabbits in recent years and yearly cost of preventative treatments adds up quickly, let alone any emergency procedures/treatments that you can't budget for.
Ensure you can fully afford them on a day to day basis, including suitable insurance. (Lifetime policy is recommended for reoccurring illnesses that can arise).
Its also recommended that rabbits live in pairs, would you be able to afford two rabbits & a dog?

I'm sorry if I seem to be pushing the cost side of things. Just I see it all too often of people not being able to afford treatment for their pet because they simply didn't look into insurance + potential costs that could arise from gut stasis & dental issues in rabbits, and genetic problems with some breeds of dogs (patella luxation etc)

Last edited:
Oh I understand that! I got a rescue bunny and ended up having to rehabilitate her. Her teeth were really long and she hadn't been given access to the things to gnaw down on, she couldn't be stroked for the first year, she was constantly sneezing, her sight wasn't the best, she was overweight, it was visible that she had been attacked by other rabbits and possibly abused by the other people that owned her, we were the poor girl's 5th home! She was two (apparently) when we got her, but we now think she was much older than that. We got her as a companion for our other rescue bunny and he had a heart attack during a thunder storm about a month later and we lost him unfortunately. Upon losing him, we had our whole attention focused on her and we realised some things didn't quite add up in a sense and we took her to the vets where she had a large abscess caused by a tooth spur and she was still quite overweight. She was given baytril to see if it reduced the size of her abscess but it didn't. A vet consultation would cost us £50 a time and we couldn't insure her. We discussed the options of operations and things but they said that she wasn't really in pain and that it was highly unlikely that she would survive an operation anyways because of what they think her age was (5/6/7ish). She was also given to us with pneumonia but the baytril sorted that out! In the end, she got cancer and died peacefully a few months ago. I always said if I decided to get more rabbits, I'd get 2, if I rescued again (which is highly likely I will), I'd find a bonded pair unless I find those really special two bunnies that I think would be perfect for each other that are spayed and neutered.

I initially had a dog crate with a metal pen attached, which worked quite well. I draped a blanket over the dog crate so they had somewhere to hide out if they wanted. After a few months (and a few escapes - they worked out how to lift the panels of the pen with a bit of teamwork, I would def recommend getting a taller & heavier pen!) I made a pen for the out of wood and mesh. It pretty much looks like an outdoor run. I have great intentions to add shelves etc but still haven't got round to it.

Back