• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Kale.

supersonic

Mama Doe
We (humans of the family) don't eat kale, so the pets have never had it. I thought I should try it with them so I bought a big bunch of curly kale from the local veg stall thinking "I hope they like it, otherwise this'll be a waste".

:shock:

It's not a waste... Never seen the rabbit gobble up anything so fast in my life! Not even a grape! As for the guineas... well, that was traumatic! I gave them one leaf between the two of them, ripped up into smaller pieces, then split them between the two. As I was feeding the rabbit his, I heard some squeaking and turned around to see Jake looking sad and Finn nowhere to be seen. I opened the bedroom door to see Finn munching on Jakes piece of kale! They won't be having much anyway, due to the calcium, but any future 'kale time' will have to be fully supervised to prevent any further 'kale wars' :lol:

Anyway, I returned the kale to Jake and Sonic now has lovely green lips, so all is well in the world!

We grow kale and so the rabbits have always had some. Yes, they do like it and always eat it, but as far as cabbagey type things go, they prefer dark green cabbage and spinach.

We (humans of the family) don't eat kale, so the pets have never had it. I thought I should try it with them so I bought a big bunch of curly kale from the local veg stall thinking "I hope they like it, otherwise this'll be a waste".

:shock:

It's not a waste... Never seen the rabbit gobble up anything so fast in my life! Not even a grape! As for the guineas... well, that was traumatic! I gave them one leaf between the two of them, ripped up into smaller pieces, then split them between the two. As I was feeding the rabbit his, I heard some squeaking and turned around to see Jake looking sad and Finn nowhere to be seen. I opened the bedroom door to see Finn munching on Jakes piece of kale! They won't be having much anyway, due to the calcium, but any future 'kale time' will have to be fully supervised to prevent any further 'kale wars' :lol:

Anyway, I returned the kale to Jake and Sonic now has lovely green lips, so all is well in the world!

Kale is great :thumb:

I tend not to feed it very day as it's high in calcium. I know FHB says you can't overdose on calcium from veggies, but I do notice significant changes in their wee so I limit it.

But yes, it's all very delicious. Especially the cavolo nero (black kale) that I grow :D

I bought my buns a pack of cavolo nero yesterday (well I actually bought it for us but you know how it goes) & we had wars too. They are going to have to go on the banned for bad behaviour food list

We always buy dark kale. Buns get it every day and they get grumpy with us when we don't have any.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Mine love kale. Charlie won't eat most veg but he loves his kale. He'll even eat it if it's damp, he won't eat anything else that has any moisture on it!

So, roughly, how much should I give him? I've done some Googlin' and I can't really get a straight answer, some people are saying to not give it to him at all! Do you think one or two leaves every other day is ok?

It's difficult, I'm trying to give him stuff that's better for his teeth, but everything seems to have another down side! If he had is own way he'd live off grapes and mouldy apples :lol:

My buns *love* kale :D We don't buy it all that often, but when we do they have a bit each day until the "head" is gone.

The bigger buns have a leaf/half a leaf each, and the littler buns have smaller sized pieces.

My buns all love curly kale too. It's great for holding water. Just give it a good swish under the tap. I roll it up and cut into slices, give the buns a handful each.

Last edited:
My buns *love* kale :D We don't buy it all that often, but when we do they have a bit each day until the "head" is gone.

The bigger buns have a leaf/half a leaf each, and the littler buns have smaller sized pieces.

Ah, I might give Sonic a leaf every other day until it's gone, and the guineas can share one... unless the kale war starts again, then they can't have any :lol:

We grow different varieties but Alice isn't that keen she'll have a nibble, so more for us crispy version is so yummy!

I'm jealous of those who can grow kale, I can't grow anything - everything dies or doesn't grow very well, don't know where I'm going wrong! My bunnies like kale although I don't buy it often, my human children hate it so when I do buy it it's for bunnies only.

My four have a handful of kale most days. They love it but then they love all veg and grass and hay!

Back