• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Binky 2011 to 26.09.2015 (1st anniversary)

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
I never got round to writing this last year so was going to do it on the anniversary, but I'm useless in that regard as well as I missed it by a few days :( He's not been far from my mind in the last few weeks, so I want to just leave something in his memory.

PICT0004.jpg

Binky and his brother Shadow came into my life in early January 2011 after 3 threads appeared on RU on 2 January with people very concerned about their welfare. Two nasty little hutches were being sold on ebay with 'free rabbits' being offered - with the finishing line of 'if they are not gone by Friday they are going in the pot!' :cry::cry: The threads ran for a frantic time whilst it was decided how best to handle it. The listing on ebay was removed and the work in the background began. Emma, 'Mischief & Tinker's Mum' fostered them for a couple of days until I was able to collect them. I was just going to be a 'safehaven' - they 'weren't staying' :roll:

Of course they did 'stay' and lived out the rest of their lives in my care. Shadow was not in the best of health from the start, my first clue should have been that he didn't recover from the GA from the neuter as well as his brother. He lost weight quite rapidly over winter and had trouble maintaining it, blood tests indicated liver issues. Binky was the most wonderful companion that a rabbit could have and was always snuggling his brother and grooming him. At the time I lost Shadow his ears were being over-groomed, Binky was such as wonderful carer and guardian of his weaker sibling, always, always kind and gentle to a rabbit that would have been easy to bully.

Poor Shadow only had a further 18 months as it turned out his liver has a serious congenital defect and we lost him under GA having his incisors removed. Binky started having problems with spondylitis so moved indoors for warmth and so I could care for him more closely. He really suited being a house rabbit.. so would Shadow, had that been an opportunity for him at the time.

After 3 happy years as a house rabbit, I lost Binky last year to pancreatitis, extremely rare in rabbits and nothing we could have done for him. At the onset of this episode I assumed it was a flare up of spine pain so didn't for one second think I would lose him when I had him admitted to the vets - it was my last day working at a part-time job I'd held for 6 years so I was distracted that day. It was easier to have Binky admitted to be cared for as my day was not flexible. He needed emergency surgery the following day and I was told the prognosis was extremely poor. I lost him two days later, straight after FHB's owners' day, an association of course that is a strong reminder of the sadness of that day.

So, I missed the anniversary despite thinking about him so much and the 'anniversary' actually felt like it was the owners' day on 17 September. Despite not getting the right date, he's never far from my heart and mind. :love:

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk251/scratty_ru/th_PICT0023.mp4
[video]

Last edited:
Thinking of you as you remember Binky. He was clearly a lovely and very cherished rabbit :love:

I remember Binky. Thanks to you he did have the opportunity to experience happiness in his life, even if that life was not as long as we would hope for xx

Thinking of you as you remember Binky. I'm glad he got to experience happiness with you :love:

Back