Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying to bond neutered male rabbits

Young Bun

Default Trying to bond neutered male rabbits

Hello I'm new to this forum and rabbits. My daughter bought two baby male rabbits at the beginning of the year from pets at home. Denzel, the bigger of the two has always been relaxed and loved having the run of the house. Oreo has always been very shy and wouldn't come out if people were round. Due to work commitments we moved them to our house in July. They live in our dining room in a large puppy pen that we bought for them. We made them a large outdoor run and they could come and go from the run back into their pen in the dining room. Three weeks into the move here there was a massive fight with Oreo trying to constantly mount Denzel. This ended with blood and fur everywhere. We split the pen into 2 and kept them side by side. We had them both neutered in august and they have lived in pens side by side since with separate times in the run. I've gradually moved the pens next go each other. Today after Oreo finally chilled out and relaxed while I stroked his head, I've finally seen Oreo grooming Denzel's head through the cage. I think he thought it was Denzel grooming his head when I was stroking him.
    The question I have is go you think I will ever be able to put these two together again after the ferocious fight they had in the past.
    This is Denzel and Oreo before there fight

Judy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wise Old Thumper

If rabbits have a fight there is always the danger that they won't ever be bonded. Also, they really can fight to the death. When were they castrated?
    Last edited by Babsie; 27-09-2016 at 06:55 PM.

Young Bun

They were castrated at the beginning of august

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

welcome to RU. Its possible your bunnies could be bonded. As Babsie said rabbits can fight to the death & rabbits do seem to remember past traumas. Now they have been neutered & left a while they stand a better chance as you'll be aware. If you were to try this yourself I'd arm yourself with as much info as possible about how to bond (this in itself can be confusing as there are many different bonding styles), see bonding threads on here, watch videos on you tube, ask questions here. Their nasty fight is a worry though, it would be imperative you were close enough & had the right 'tools' to intervene. Even better might be to see if anybody offers a bonding service in your area

Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar

Oh no, I'm sorry the boys have fallen out.

Just to give you a bit of hope, before I adopted my two boys from rescue they had apparently had a pretty nasty fight while with their previous owners. It resulted in one of them having permanently damaged ears. This had happened before one of them had been castrated. Thanks to the rescue they were re-bonded and lived happily as a pair until one sadly passed away earlier this year.

I hope you are able to re-bond them again. J & B has given some really good advice about going about it although if you're able to get hands on help from someone who has lots of experience in bonding then that should make it a lot easier for you.

Good luck
    [IMG][/IMG]

Bunnies: Snoopy and Chocolate Fudge Cake

At the Bridge: Scrappy My bunny mentor and the beautiful girl who introduced me to the wonderful world of rabbits

Peanut Butter My cheeky boy who came so far in learning to love and trust humans. If only you could have stayed a bit longer

Young Bun

Thank you for your replies, I had given up hope of them getting back together as Oreo would still jump at denzel as he went past his cage to the run. I've watched loads of videos and read quite a bit about bonding. I will have a look at the threads on here joey&boo. I swapped them round into each other's cage today, I think I'm gonna carry on with that for a while before I attempt to bond them again. Most of the bonding videos I've seen have been in small spaces but I've read that's it's better if they are in a larger space.
    You have given me hope scrappy little helper, it's a relief to hear that someone else has had success after a nasty fight. I know denzel castration had to be postponed due to the gash Oreo had given him on his testicles. Sorry your rabbit passed away, how is the other one getting on now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by andyjudy View Post
    Thank you for your replies, I had given up hope of them getting back together as Oreo would still jump at denzel as he went past his cage to the run. I've watched loads of videos and read quite a bit about bonding. I will have a look at the threads on here joey&boo. I swapped them round into each other's cage today, I think I'm gonna carry on with that for a while before I attempt to bond them again. Most of the bonding videos I've seen have been in small spaces but I've read that's it's better if they are in a larger space.
    You have given me hope scrappy little helper, it's a relief to hear that someone else has had success after a nasty fight. I know denzel castration had to be postponed due to the gash Oreo had given him on his testicles. Sorry your rabbit passed away, how is the other one getting on now?

yeah pretty much everyone recommends bonding in a neutral space, opinion is more divided on amount of space- I user a bigger space which was the only way I could manage to bond my current trio as it gave my submissive doe an opportunity to escape the feisty one! This probably only worked as the submissive one never made any attempt to fight back & could outrun the bossy one. I hope it works out, let us know how it goes

Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andyjudy View Post

Thank you. The other rabbit is doing well, he is now happily bonded with a female rabbit

To be honest when I bonded them I found getting the size of the space right quite tricky. You want it to be small enough that they have to interact and work out their hierarchy. But at first my male bun Snoopy was agitated at being stuck in a smaller area as he's used to being a free range house bun and going where he pleases. I found when I extended it a bit he relaxed a lot more and the bond went a lot more smoothly. I guess it's a case of trial and error and seeing what works best for the boys.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Bunnies: Snoopy and Chocolate Fudge Cake

At the Bridge: Scrappy My bunny mentor and the beautiful girl who introduced me to the wonderful world of rabbits

Peanut Butter My cheeky boy who came so far in learning to love and trust humans. If only you could have stayed a bit longer

Young Bun

Quote Originally Posted by Scrappy's Little Helper View Post
    Thank you. The other rabbit is doing well, he is now happily bonded with a female rabbit

To be honest when I bonded them I found getting the size of the space right quite tricky. You want it to be small enough that they have to interact and work out their hierarchy. But at first my male bun Snoopy was agitated at being stuck in a smaller area as he's used to being a free range house bun and going where he pleases. I found when I extended it a bit he relaxed a lot more and the bond went a lot more smoothly. I guess it's a case of trial and error and seeing what works best for the boys.
    That's good that he has a female now, I wondered what happened to bonded rabbits when there partners passed away as I thought they bonded for life but it's good to know they will bond with another rabbit.
    I think I need to do a lot more reading befor I attempt to bond them, I don't want to make things worse.

Young Bun

I've been reading this about bonding bunnies which seems to make a lot of sense.

http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk...nding-bunnies/

This is a video from my bunnycam of when denzel jumped in over the gate in the patio door and surprised me and Oreo, this was the first time I picked Denzel up

https://www.dropbox.com/s/29vsei9zzn...1080p.mov?dl=0