Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where are all the wild rabbits?

I've been seeing more birds. Mainly woodpeckers.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
    Even the strongest need to have a day of weakness

Up in the lake district we used to see loads at our usual campsite but didn't see a single one this year x

Sadly I do think it's largely down to myxo and/or RHD/2, they are both in the area so it's inevitable that they're spreading around the local wild population I also think the odd weather is driving them to come out after dark rather than during the day - I see far fewer in our garden but the tell-tale signs of their presence are still around, so they're obviously just coming out when no-one is there to see them!
    Looking for RHD2 vaccine or want more info? Join our Facebook group:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1744958082388756/
    To view reported cases of RHD2 or vets reported to have RHD2 vaccine: http://rhd2map.ajltech.co.uk
    Here's my RHD2 and myxomatosis blog:https://rhd2diary.wordpress.com

Here, Myxo reduces wild rabbits every 4-6 years, whenever the population gets dense enough to spread the disease.

Last time it was when I started with rabbits, and all but one died.

There is a small positive effect - the wild rabbit population is developing resistency, went from close to zero around 1960 to about 20% today. That will happen with every disease, if some survive.

It will not happen to domestic rabbits, no breeder lets them suffer through this and breeds the survivors.

And to make things worse, since it doesn't work to control rabbit population with diseases long term new strains and viruses are released in Australia, which will spread around the world with time.

Seen the usual amount here in Nottingham, around the Science Park and Uni...? Though the one who was inhabiting QMC has gone, I expect run over or just left that patch (and it is just a patch) of grass.
    The geeky one...

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

Quote Originally Posted by Preitler View Post
    Here, Myxo reduces wild rabbits every 4-6 years, whenever the population gets dense enough to spread the disease.

Last time it was when I started with rabbits, and all but one died.

There is a small positive effect - the wild rabbit population is developing resistency, went from close to zero around 1960 to about 20% today. That will happen with every disease, if some survive.

It will not happen to domestic rabbits, no breeder lets them suffer through this and breeds the survivors.

And to make things worse, since it doesn't work to control rabbit population with diseases long term new strains and viruses are released in Australia, which will spread around the world with time.

I don't like being human sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffs mum View Post
    I don't like being human sometimes
    Me neither.

I wonder if we could sue the Australia government for the costs of vaccinations due to the diseases they spread without thought or consideration for the consequences - evil ********!!!

Where I am in Nottinghamshire seems the same.
    Not seen any with bad eyes either.

I've never had any on my garden it's been made 100% secure for my sisters rabbits when i looked after them last year and now I don't even get hedgehogs anymore

Binky free my sweet Aubrey

We used to have loads around here. Was lovely early morning walks with the dog seeing the bunnies. Not seen any for about 18 months.

Quote Originally Posted by spinecho View Post
    Hi.

I work in Chelmsford, Essex & on my drive to and from work everyday I used to see lots of wild rabbits along the grass verges.
    However this year I've not seen many (if any wild rabbits).

Have they moved to warmer climes?

Have the left before Brexit kicks in?!?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
    I live in Chelmsford.

There are 2 places we often go at weekends -Galleywood Common and Writtle. I've seen no wild rabbits on the Common for weeks but there are still plenty playing and eating in the Writtle/ Roxwell fields.

I believe there has been confirmed Myxomatosis outbreak in Stock which is the next village after Galleywood .

Thank You Jack's-Jane for my lovely new signature.