• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Off to the vets with Sonic tomorrow, spare vibes?

BYB, that's the thing, he's only ever had one dental in 7 years and that was only three months ago!

So sorry, just catching up with your thread now. I am in pretty much the same dilemma as you with Treacle.
She's booked in for her dental tomorrow, and I'm in two minds whether to postpone ! She's out in the sunshine binkying and running round like mad, and eating grass.
The reason I booked her in again, is because she is slow to eat her nuggets, and is not eating any hay at all. Her poops are smaller and darker, and at times she looks really miserable. She tends to get a couple of spurs on the one side, regardless of all the hay she normally eats. At the moment I'm out foraging for long stalky grass twice a day, which she eats with gusto, but as she's not eating hay, I can only assume the spurs have grown back :roll:
I'm so worried about her going in, I lost her brother just two months ago, although it wasn't as a result of a GA.
I'll take her along tomorrow anyway, and speak to the vet before making the final decision, but I'm pretty sure she will need "doing".
Good luck with Sonic, let us know how it goes.

Oh man, so complicated! I might just have to play it by ear and see what he's like in the morning. Vets open at 8:30 and he's booked in for 9"30, so it gives me an hour to decide. He was fairly ok with the GA, just super wobbly after, he recovered quickly. I suspect you're the same, you don't want to wait until it's 'too late', but don't know if it's 'too soon' now!

I'm sorry you lost her brother :( At least it wasn't a result of GA so you're not mega anxious about that. I think a fit and healthy bunny should always be ok with GA!

Hi,

I am sure they will check him over to see if its his teeth before knocking him out.

If its any consolation Blossom has dentals every 2 weeks - he gets over them very quickly but it is always a worry. I would love to be going every 3 months.

Really hope all is well and he comes back happy and ready for his grape! :)

A nice Disney film - if you are into that kind of thing - may take your mind off it - as much as it is possible! Take care xx

Good luck with Treacle too pets mum - Its almost better to have them done when they need it but not really ill with it - they recover much more easily. xx

Hi,

I am sure they will check him over to see if its his teeth before knocking him out.

If its any consolation Blossom has dentals every 2 weeks - he gets over them very quickly but it is always a worry. I would love to be going every 3 months.

Really hope all is well and he comes back happy and ready for his grape! :)

A nice Disney film - if you are into that kind of thing - may take your mind off it - as much as it is possible! Take care xx

Yeah, I know, but he doesn't travel well either! Well, he associates the box with the vets and the lead with going on holiday to grandma and grandads, so I think I'm just going to take him on his lead (I don't 'walk' him, I carry him and just loop the lead round my wrist in case he wriggles out of my arms!)

Every two weeks is crazy, I've never heard of that before. Do you wait until she shows signs of discomfort or are you just constantly booked in?! She must be a favourite at the vets :)

Hmm, I'm more into Tarantino than Disney but I could do Toy Story or Hercules I guess!

Yeah, I know, but he doesn't travel well either! Well, he associates the box with the vets and the lead with going on holiday to grandma and grandads, so I think I'm just going to take him on his lead (I don't 'walk' him, I carry him and just loop the lead round my wrist in case he wriggles out of my arms!)

Every two weeks is crazy, I've never heard of that before. Do you wait until she shows signs of discomfort or are you just constantly booked in?! She must be a favourite at the vets :)

Hmm, I'm more into Tarantino than Disney but I could do Toy Story or Hercules I guess!

Yes, a friend of mine's rabbit used to have dentals every two weeks. It became an issue recovering from the anaesthetic in the end, but she managed it for a good long while :D

It used to be I would know by the way he went off his herbs. He is a house rabbit so its very easy to spot changes in him. Now because of how bad his roots are its just a standard 2 weekly affair..... :(

Travelling can be stressful but its better to be safe than sorry.

Hercules is a mighty fine choice - sing a long loud to the fab soundtrack! :)

It used to be I would know by the way he went off his herbs. He is a house rabbit so its very easy to spot changes in him. Now because of how bad his roots are its just a standard 2 weekly affair..... :(

Travelling can be stressful but its better to be safe than sorry.

Hercules is a mighty fine choice - sing a long loud to the fab soundtrack! :)

Ah ok, poor guy!

I was just saying to dad, if anyone else came round he'd just seem like a 'normal' rabbit, but because he's such a sassy beast it's so obvious to us that he's not right. We've decided that I'll take him in. It kinda seems silly not to now, but I've been umming and ahhing all day. He's fit and strong so hopefully recovery will be even quicker than before!

What time is her appointment? Maybe we can keep each other sane tomorrow!

I have to take her in for 9.00 but won't know what time she gets done, depends if they get an emergency. I usually get told to ring them at 1 ish. I will keep myself very busy !

I have to take her in for 9.00 but won't know what time she gets done, depends if they get an emergency. I usually get told to ring them at 1 ish. I will keep myself very busy !

Ah, Sonic's appointment is at 9:30. I think last time they rang me by 2pm, but we're dropping him off earlier this time. Keep us updated :wave:

Made him up a little packed lunch! Definitely made the right call, very few poops in the hutch this morning. Attempted to eat a grape but only had a nibble and he's still moving his jaw in an odd way

Hope all goes well with Sonic this morning, I'm just back from vets and dropping off Treacle, so keeping busy.

Back