• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bedding that allows drainage?

DemiS

Warren Veteran
So I've tried hemp bedding and woodshavings in my rabbits litter tray but they wee a LOT, and whenever I give them a fresh tray it's soggy within a few hours. Is there anything I can put on top that will allow the urine to drain through to keep their feet and bum dry? I know hay isn't very absorbent but I don't like the idea of them eating it if it's been wee'd on

I have a manor pet housing litter tray with built in rack.
I use fitch bedding in the tray (I highly recommend it, it's highly absorbent and brilliant odor control.)

149d5e44c14b3569d105ceaee7323ce5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

That looks really nice, they actually have a similar set up at the moment, their litter tray is on the floor and there are two hay racks right next to it but I'm still worried they'd get lazy and eat the dirty stuff.

Would cat litter be worth a try? I know they can't have the clumping stuff, can they have anything with silicates in?

Natural wood based cat litter is worth a try but it's hard on paws is no hay over the top, and I find them not to be that good at absorbing.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Aubiose is also good. You can buy a large bag for about £10. It's understood that rabbits won't eat soiled hay. Have you tried newspaper?

Robin won't eat hay that's anywhere near his litter tray .
He had a hay rack in his pen part and then a pile of hay that's on his ledge sleeping area .

I find wood pellet cat litter is extremely absorbent, it's the best litter I've tried. I use it in a large underbed storage box with a layer of hay on top and hay in a rack at the end

Yep, wood based non clumping cat litter is very good. Much more absorbent than wood shavings.

So I've tried hemp bedding and woodshavings in my rabbits litter tray but they wee a LOT, and whenever I give them a fresh tray it's soggy within a few hours. Is there anything I can put on top that will allow the urine to drain through to keep their feet and bum dry? I know hay isn't very absorbent but I don't like the idea of them eating it if it's been wee'd on

I find hay is great for drainage, and no they won't eat it when it's been wee'd on. However, I also put the hay rack above the litter tray, so that all stray bits of hay fall into the tray (which is very big).

This system works for indoor and outdoor bunnies, and they don't get wet feet or soggy bottoms ;)

Back