• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Rescue That Offers Bonding - Norfolk / Suffolk Area

Cat129

Warren Scout
Hi,

Following on from an earlier thread of mine in Housing, I am looking for a rescue centre that offers bonding.

I currently have a 2 year old male Rex, Dexter, hes not a mini but he is small for a rex. He has been neutered and would be nice to get him a partner. Dexter is a very curious rabbit, but is also very nervous (he was mistreated before we got him) he doesn't really like fuss cuddles but occasionally you get a lick or two. (Feel like i'm doing a lonely hearts add)

His girlfriend (or boyfriend) would need to be a full breed rex due to my partners allergies, and ideally the same age ish so I dont have that horrible one dies and you get another rabbit cycle.

We are currently doing our house up so they will live outside at first, then a room in the house in winter and then back out again in the summer. Once the house is completed and rabbit proofed they will then both come in and have full roam downstairs.

I live in Hemsby (NR29) but dont mind driving an hour or two to get to you.

Bump - it may be worth doing a Google search of rescues and asking them if they offer bonding service if you rehome from them.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I had a quick ring around and there was only one nearish to me. They refused to help because I would only take on a Rex and said Rex's very rarely come in. Bit pants but I can understand.

Im happy to drive most places because I only have to do it twice and it will make Dexter happy.

Someone must know somewhere, please?

Did you try Rabbit Residence in Royston - I know they're about an hour and half but they're normally very helpful.
If I didn't have the girls I'd offer to do it for you, but the girls are very sensitive to scent of other bunny's and I don't want to risk their bond.

Maybe if I head up to Hemsby soon, I can pop over and help you with bonding techniques etc for a couple days?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hi, Sorry I didnt get back to you. Our internet is shocking out here and its been down for a while and only came back on yesterday.

I haven't tried them yet to be honest, but I will give them a call if I dont get anywhere with the local ones.

If I cant find a rescue that will help then I would really appreciate yours thank you as I have had such a bad experience in the past when bonding

Cat, I don't think it's rescues being unwilling to help more that they can't help if your requirements are so specific and they don't have what you are looking for. I would suggest keeping your eye on rescue websites/ rabbit rehome and making enquiries as and when your ideal rabbit comes up.

Honeybunnies have just taken in a rex girl, Julep. Saw her posted and thought of you.

They're in Leicestershire but adopt nationwide. I'm also from Norfolk but adopted Morpheus from there. They also offer a bonding service. However, I do bonding myself mostly. I'd also be happy to bond at mine if you wanted it to happen closer to home.

Tbh, I found rescues in Norfolk patchy at best. I know of PACT, FAITH, and West Norfolk RSPCA that have rabbits. One day, I'll have my own rabbit-specific rescue. One day...

Last edited:
Honeybunnies have just taken in a rex girl, Julep. Saw her posted and thought of you.

They're in Leicestershire but adopt nationwide. I'm also from Norfolk but adopted Morpheus from there. They also offer a bonding service. However, I do bonding myself mostly. I'd also be happy to bond at mine if you wanted it to happen closer to home.

Tbh, I found rescues in Norfolk patchy at best. I know of PACT, FAITH, and West Norfolk RSPCA that have rabbits. One day, I'll have my own rabbit-specific rescue. One day...

I completely agree about the rescures, There was a Rex Girl on here for adoption that I was interested but none of the rescues would even entertain the idea of doing a home check for another rescue especially as im about an hours drive from the ones 'close' to me.

If you could help at all would be really appreciated.

Thank You

Bonding desperately needed

Hi,

I wondered if you still are prepared to offer rabbit bonding? I have a lonely 4yr old neuteredmale who is gentle with humans but lost his brother last year. With the help of the RSPCA we tried to bond him with a neutered female but it failed badly when my boy basically went full gonzo on her. He has spent three days grooming her so we were hopeful but the fighting was too fierce and they absolutely hated the sight of each other.....

I'm really nervous about trying again, especially as we weren't comfortable with the advice to house them together from the start. Although my boy spends all day free range in an enclosed garden (walls eight feet high from the outside), there's no room to bring in another large hutch, similar to the one he has for nighttime and rainy weather. So our options are limited re housing them separately from the offset. I'm not fussed about what the new (doe) rabbit looks like, as long as she is healthy. We have a fluffy minilop and he came to us after my son and his girlfriend split up.

Would you be able to help?

Last edited:
Hi,

I wondered if you still are prepared to offer rabbit bonding? I have a lonely 4yr old neuteredmale who is gentle with humans but lost his brother last year. With the help of the RSPCA we tried to bond him with a neutered female but it failed badly when my boy basically went full gonzo on her. He has spent three days grooming her so we were hopeful but the fighting was too fierce and they absolutely hated the sight of each other.....

I'm really nervous about trying again, especially as we weren't comfortable with the advice to house them together from the start. Although my boy spends all day free range in an enclosed garden (walls eight feet high from the outside), there's no room to bring in another large hutch, similar to the one he has for nighttime and rainy weather. So our options are limited re housing them separately from the offset. I'm not fussed about what the new (doe) rabbit looks like, as long as she is healthy. We have a fluffy minilop and he came to us after my son and his girlfriend split up.

Would you be able to help?

Hi,

I'm happy to help, whether in writing or in the flesh. I can understand being very nervous if your experience with bonding has only been negative. To be honest, that's why it took me a long while to re-bond my original does, Elphie and Galinda. But I'll be honest - writing and virtual hand-holding is easier for me as I have a lot of rabbits and really only a couple of rabbit-free rooms in the house.

There's also another sticking point for my doing it. On 24/03, my Iris passed away leaving Arce bereaved. I have a little lad reserved for her but he hasn't recovered well from his neuter and it'll be at least a week until I can pick him up. And then I'll be bonding them, and I only have 1 suitable set-up for bonding. That, however, can open up an opportunity for a "bunny run" from Honeybunnies in Leicester, as we'll already be going there to pick up our lad. If you have the confidence to try bonding again yourself. I can show you (in the flesh) how I start bonding with my girl Arce and her new boy before you take your new girl home with you. Of course, this is all just a suggestion working around my preferred rescue and the fact I have a rabbit reserved there. If you DO want to go ahead that way, contact honeybunny (Jill) on here and I'm sure she'll lead you through the adoption process. But again, it's just a suggestion.

If you want me to bond your rabbit, however, you'll have to find your preferred partner for your lad, adopt her, and then bring them both to me to start the bonding. But realistically, I can't do that for you in the next 2 months or so. :/

Back