• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New member with couple of questions on diet and toys

Swiss Fox

New Kit
Hi all

Our indoor Swiss Fox is 5 months old.

To begin with we weren't sure what to feed her and our first vet we asked told us "all she needs is hay". I have since changed vet.

I then asked Reddit and received several replies saying that, for the first 6 months she should have unlimited hay (including alfalfa) and unlimited pellets, then moved on to unlimited timothy hay and unlimited greens.

She's currently got a mix of hay everywhere - two litters trays, her bed, a feeder and inside a few cardboard toys - which we change daily.... although, now she's litter trained, we only change her bed area 3 or 4 times a week as it remains clean.

We've increased her greens (usually spring greens 4 times a week, kale twice, spinach once) to two bowls a day, around dusk & dawn, as much as she can eat, and we discard the rest.

We also give her a large handful of pellets (Asda own brand - I considered changing to something possibly better but the ingredients seem okay and I figured it best to not change brand if she's getting on with them okay) and very recently a small handful of rabbit muesli at the end of the night to encourage her into her hutch.

3 or 4, maybe up to 5 times a week we give her an inch square piece of fruit as a treat but not daily.

I'm a little worried she isn't eating as much hay as she should... while she often munches on it, usually when she's going to the toilet and contemplating life, it doesn't seem to go down much and most of it gets thrown away each day.

Her poop has stayed fine and her wee isn't chalky white.

She is out of her hutch around 18 hours a day and has free run of an open studio type area - living & dining area and "the floor is lava" kitchen which she has recently realised she can walk on after all - so she has plenty of time and space to run and jump around.

Are we okay in what we're doing or are we getting into any bad habits?

Among all her other things, she's now on her second " box house" toy, with hay stuck to the sides and dried carrot pieces on top, which I bought from a pet shop.

A while back I got a cardboard produce box from the supermarket and make a glue out of flour, cornflour & water which I used to stick alfalfa dust on to. She quite liked it, not as much as the store bought house, but she's had a good go at it.

I was thinking of taking it a step further and building a larger enclosure out of cardboard and coating some of the roofs with hay, dried dandelion salad, rabbit muesli mix, dried carrot, stuff like that.

Would this be okay? Is flour & water okay as a glue? Is there anything stronger and/or safer?

I found a bag of "Organic Dried Carrots 500g" for £5 online. They seem to be little pieces around the same size as the ones on her store bought house.

I did have a look through previous posts here and saw that there's a difference between dehydrated and dried.. given that the product is described as dried, can I assume they'll be okay for bunny?

I'll try a few samples first to see how fast she can pull the bits off to ensure she doesn't eat too much of the sugary carrot in one go.... maybe mix it with hay and other stuff.

Thanks in advance and apologies if these questions have been already asked (I'm sure they have!)

Last edited:
Hi all

Our indoor Swiss Fox is 5 months old.

To begin with we weren't sure what to feed her and our first vet we asked told us "all she needs is hay". I have since changed vet.

I then asked Reddit and received several replies saying that, for the first 6 months she should have unlimited hay (including alfalfa) and unlimited pellets, then moved on to unlimited timothy hay and unlimited greens.

She's currently got a mix of hay everywhere - two litters trays, her bed, a feeder and inside a few cardboard toys - which we change daily.... although, now she's litter trained, we only change her bed area 3 or 4 times a week as it remains clean.

We've increased her greens (usually spring greens 4 times a week, kale twice, spinach once) to two bowls a day, around dusk & dawn, as much as she can eat, and we discard the rest.

We also give her a large handful of pellets (Asda own brand - I considered changing to something possibly better but the ingredients seem okay and I figured it best to not change brand if she's getting on with them okay) and very recently a small handful of rabbit muesli at the end of the night to encourage her into her hutch.

3 or 4, maybe up to 5 times a week we give her an inch square piece of fruit as a treat but not daily.

I'm a little worried she isn't eating as much hay as she should... while she often munches on it, usually when she's going to the toilet and contemplating life, it doesn't seem to go down much and most of it gets thrown away each day.

Her poop has stayed fine and her wee isn't chalky white.

She is out of her hutch around 18 hours a day and has free run of an open studio type area - living & dining area and "the floor is lava" kitchen which she has recently realised she can walk on after all - so she has plenty of time and space to run and jump around.

Are we okay in what we're doing or are we getting into any bad habits?

Among all her other things, she's now on her second " box house" toy, with hay stuck to the sides and dried carrot pieces on top, which I bought from a pet shop.

A while back I got a cardboard produce box from the supermarket and make a glue out of flour, cornflour & water which I used to stick alfalfa dust on to. She quite liked it, not as much as the store bought house, but she's had a good go at it.

I was thinking of taking it a step further and building a larger enclosure out of cardboard and coating some of the roofs with hay, dried dandelion salad, rabbit muesli mix, dried carrot, stuff like that.

Would this be okay? Is flour & water okay as a glue? Is there anything stronger and/or safer?

I found a bag of "Organic Dried Carrots 500g" for £5 online. They seem to be little pieces around the same size as the ones on her store bought house.

I did have a look through previous posts here and saw that there's a difference between dehydrated and dried.. given that the product is described as dried, can I assume they'll be okay for bunny?

I'll try a few samples first to see how fast she can pull the bits off to ensure she doesn't eat too much of the sugary carrot in one go.... maybe mix it with hay and other stuff.

Thanks in advance and apologies if these questions have been already asked (I'm sure they have!)

Hello

It sounds as though your Bunny is being fed rather too much !! Hay/grass should make up 80%-90% of a Rabbit's diet, the rest being made up of fresh/dried forage, a variety of fresh Veg (minimal carrot due to high sugar content). Personally I dont feed my Rabbits any fruit (due to the high sugar content). Most Rabbits love fresh herbs such as coriander. Pellets are not an essential for a healthy adult Rabbit, but if you do feed them then the recommended amount is 1 eggcupful a day per Rabbit. I prefer Fibafirst sticks to any pelleted feed for my Rabbits.

http://www.supremepetfoods.com/fiba-first-2/

If Bunny actually eats all the cardboard/'glue' etc then I would probably not give her that sort of 'toy'. I prefer to give my Rabbits fruit tree twigs, willow balls, grass mats- 'natural' toys really. Ones that will do no harm if ingested.

These links may provide you with some useful information :

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/Feeding130807.pdf

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/going_green_oct_06.pdf

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/

Hello there and welcome. If your bunny is 5 months old then she has a little bit of growing still to do but I think the time is about right to start lessening the anount of things she eats, but not hay of course. When you start to reduce other foods you should find she will start to get into her hay more, do it bit by bit, there is no rush. Finally you will end up with a rabbit who eats plenty of hay, about an eggcup full (or less) of pellets, and small amounts of veg or forage or herbs. She will also like Readigrass. Her hay consumption shoulld possibly take up a lot of her time and will help her not to get bored. Hope this helps you.

Thanks for your prompt and helpful reply.

How do I control 20% of her diet being veggies? Just give her less greens? She eats what she wants, then we take it away...

Is dried veggies, like the herb and dandelion "salads" you get in pet stores, acceptable? I've only ever used them as a treat which I hide inside empty toilet rolls... all her daily greens are fresh. I assumed the dried salads were somehow bad for her so have always made it difficult for her to get them.

She's only had fresh carrot once or twice and then only an inch square piece. The toy house she has makes it hard for her to eat much as the glue is strong... which is why I asked if there is a stronger, rabbit safe glue than just flour and water... I'm curious what the pet store sold toys use to stick the stuff to the cardboard.

Cardboard is fine for rabbits. I know that much. Certain inks are questionable but plain cardboard is okay.

This little lady lives around us 18 hours a day and is into everything so I need things to keep her occupied. I don't want her to eat excessive amounts of dried carrot, but I'd rather she had something interesting to gnaw at than the sofa.

I have no problem with her chewing the sofa - she's already made 3 holes - but I'd rather distract her by providing her with suitable and safe toys to climb and gnaw at.

She's only 5 months and, although Swiss Foxes continue to grow up to a year, we do intend to start changing her diet over the next month to eliminate pellets completely, except as individual "come here" treats.

She has herbs whenever they're reduced in the supermarket.

Even the links you provided say it's okay to give a 2 tablespoons of fruit a day and we don't give her that much but I admit that's one of the things I expected people to say I was doing wrong so I will reduce her fruit intake to 3 times a week and reduce it further when she's fully grown (although I know sugar can cause tummy problems and won't influence her growth, my intention is to use fruit primarily to gain her trust in her first months)

Thanks again for your reply and I hope you can provide more insight into my concerns.

I've never heard of Readigrass before! This is suitable for adult rabbits too, not like Alfalfa that's only good for baby bunnies?

If it's a good all rounder I'll order some immediately! Can anyone suggest a good eBay or Amazon supplier?

Thanks!!

Hello there and welcome. If your bunny is 5 months old then she has a little bit of growing still to do but I think the time is about right to start lessening the anount of things she eats, but not hay of course. When you start to reduce other foods you should find she will start to get into her hay more, do it bit by bit, there is no rush. Finally you will end up with a rabbit who eats plenty of hay, about an eggcup full (or less) of pellets, and small amounts of veg or forage or herbs. She will also like Readigrass. Her hay consumption shoulld possibly take up a lot of her time and will help her not to get bored. Hope this helps you.

Tonibun has given excellent advice :thumb:

Readigrass is a great food for rabbits, and they usually love it :D

Back