• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Need advice on facial abscess, please!

Hi, Apologise in advance on the timing!! But, I hoped I could get some advice, please! By the way, best wishes and hope you are having a great holiday.
Fluffles is really old now, estimated to be around 13 now! So, now not sure so let's say she is between 11-13! (more sensible). No sign of those horrid abscesses, thankfully.
Because of her terrible teeth, she had a dental in March 2018, I was shocked when the price went up 100%! Queried the hike-up with the vet. He said my last dental was 3 yrs earlier... But, later realised that still equates to a 33.3% yearly hike-up. Is that normal? I've never heard of one that high (yearly). Anyway, she started having difficulty chewing only 8 mths after dental. I thought i'ts way too soon for another dental, so made adaptions to feed, cut everything very finely. She eats her food with gusto and although she hardly moves around much and sleeps a lot, when it's her feed time it's like she's been jolted awake.
Her poops were getting quite small and strange shopes. Read this happens to old bunnies. So changed her hay and gave her meadow cookies and high fibre, also long fibre food of 32%. Phoned my vet. Filled in a bit, asked for Zantac to stimulate her gut again.
I was sent 'Ratidine Oral soft' -- know that's a generic of Zantac.
Zero change. Been 3 weeks, poops still the same but at least consistent and poops normal amount just poops very small, and odd shapes - giving her extra water as well, because they have sharp edges and wrinkly.
Did I ask for the right drug? I see (read) that another drug stimulates the gut?
Left a message for vet. to phone me back, ready to go to war with him, or he could have done nothing wrong and I look like a fool. Nonetheless, he knew Fluffles was ancient and would likely not survive another dental. Now, she might need another this. month (Jan. 2019), I really don't know if she'll make it.
She is very thin but like I said, eating everything. I only realised how thin she was when I picked her up to put on my bed (she can't jump up anymore). Very loveable, and eats her hay (meadow cookie) on bed.
So, how effective is rantidine? :)

Hi there :wave:

You know I was thinking about you the other day, and I actually looked up to see whether you'd posted an update.
And here you are :)

Yes there are other drugs that stimulate the gut, emeprid being one (metaclopromide). Metoclopromide acts on the upper GI tract, increasing the rate at which the stomach empties into the small intestines. Zantac protects the stomach and also has a milder prokinetic effect on the lower GI tract. It also reduces the stomach acidity, which can help lower the risks of a gastric ulcer. Another drug to work on the lower GI tract is cisapride.

Regards the dental - it's really difficult to say what should be the interval between dentals. I have known rabbits getting to the stage of needing a dental every two weeks!

Hi!

That's funny! Yep, I'm back! Thanks for the info, I would just like to know if this is possible... When queried why she would need a dental so soon? The vet. said sometimes they will need it more often after their dental? How does that work, as you have first-hand experience on that subject? The frequency is understandable on general bunnies, but what I fail to understand is this dental i.e. why so soon (8mths and the one before that was 3 years??). Thanks! :)

Hi!

That's funny! Yep, I'm back! Thanks for the info, I would just like to know if this is possible... When queried why she would need a dental so soon? The vet. said sometimes they will need it more often after their dental? How does that work, as you have first-hand experience on that subject? The frequency is understandable on general bunnies, but what I fail to understand is this dental i.e. why so soon (8mths and the one before that was 3 years??). Thanks! :)

:wave:

First off, each bunny is an individual and it's not really possible to predict when dentals will need doing. I was told one of my rabbits would need them pretty regular, but she went years without and thus proving the vet wrong!

That said, as rabbits get older, their dentition often does get worse. What was slightly wonky becomes more so.

It can also depend on the skill of the vet doing the dental. That's quite an unmeasurable, but in my experience it can make a LOT of difference in the time intervals :)

:wave:

First off, each bunny is an individual and it's not really possible to predict when dentals will need doing. I was told one of my rabbits would need them pretty regular, but she went years without and thus proving the vet wrong!

That said, as rabbits get older, their dentition often does get worse. What was slightly wonky becomes more so.

It can also depend on the skill of the vet doing the dental. That's quite an unmeasurable, but in my experience it can make a LOT of difference in the time intervals :)

Hi, So sorry for late reply. Thanks for the reply! That makes sense, although he has been great before I tend to think it has become wonkier.... I have my doubts only because of the drastic price hike. I got the feeling that time is of the essence so scurried through and wasn't thorough this time. But, like you say it could well be because she's older.
Another question please, as you have rabbits could you tell me if any of your really old bunnies poop went funny, like smaller but still as frequent and sharp edges? Thanks, as usual your advice is appreciated!!!! :)

*Update: Her poops have grown larger and smoother, however, this is only at night when she is on the bed and I ensure she is eating her meadow hay cookies. I changed her food to a 32% long and short fibre a while ago when I noticed she was struggling with the normal hay (stalks). So, realised she needed fine stuff - even when cut up she won't touch it. Maybe it hurts her (like she's cut the inside of her cheeks from tooth overgrowth etc. or something else. The vet. will tell me and I need to discuss this with him). No need to reply, but thanks anyway and like I said the advice is most welcome! Keep well!!! :)

Hi, just a quick news flash! She had a dental done 4 days ago, stayed overnight at the vet. this (because she was so old and late, as the vet. pushed her in when phoned in the morning as was worried because her poops really got smaller overnight). Great success, shew! I'm relieved she made it! They must have given her magic beans or something because she is jumping on the bed for cuddles at night! (she hardly moved before!)

Back