• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Need advice on facial abscess, please!

Porridge oats? never tried that, like regular rolled oats for human breakfast? My vet. agrees, and def. carry on after all signs have disappeared.

Yes, just the normal porridge oats. I feed them dry, some people add water to make a porridge. A pinch a couple of times a day will help put weight on and usually are delicious :D

Hi :wave:
Update: Fluffles still going strong. She's eating really well. Think she's put weight on, but not a lot. The Depo. shots will cease Wed 9 Nov. let's hold thumbs. So far, everything looks great. She is no longer running around, but eating better and still playing with her toys.

Update: Fluffles still going strong. She's eating really well. Think she's put weight on, but not a lot. The Depo. shots will cease Wed 9 Nov. let's hold thumbs. So far, everything looks great. She is no longer running around, but eating better and still playing with her toys.

Helloooo :wave:

All sounds good, and as you say, everything crossed for Wednesday onwards :D

Thank you for updating! xx

Just leaving a quick update, again. Fluffles is doing remarkably well. Hopefully, this continues for some time to come. I will update once, in a while, again but not so often, unless the dreaded thing occurs sooner! Doesn't look like it. Check everyday, no hint of a lump - anywhere on her body. But I do no it can occur internally. I was concerned a few days ago, as she began, once again to scratch her ears. I only saw the one side, so thought, 'Oh my G. It's the side where the others were - ear canal! But, she then scratched the other ear. Still not totally convinced, but more at ease, administered some of the recent drops the vet. gave for Tazzy. She wasn't scratching as madly as Tazzy was, but was scratching. Stopped almost immediately. Been having them for 5 days now, all good. Lets hope the good stuff continues in her!! Must say, I am so grateful you were around, and see from other posts, you help many. Few good people around. Carry on helping, you good person! :love:
See you!
Helloooo :wave:

All sounds good, and as you say, everything crossed for Wednesday onwards :D

Thank you for updating! xx

Last edited:
Just leaving a quick update, again. Fluffles is doing remarkably well. Hopefully, this continues for some time to come. I will update once, in a while, again but not so often, unless the dreaded thing occurs sooner! Doesn't look like it. Check everyday, no hint of a lump - anywhere on her body. I was concerned a few days ago, as she began, once again to scratch her ears. I only saw the one side, so thought, 'Oh my G. It's the side where the others were - ear canal! But, she then scratched the other ear. Still not totally convinced, but more at ease, administered some of the recent drops the vet. gave for Tazzy. She wasn't scratching as madly as Tazzy was, but was scratching. Stopped almost immediately. Been having them for 5 days now, all good. Lets hope the good stuff continues in her!! Must say, I am so grateful you were around, and see from other posts, you help many. Few good people around. Carry on helping, you good person! :love:
See you!

What a relief about Fluffles! Great to know and you're really good for updating :D

Thank you also for your lovely comments. That's very kind of you. I'm just so glad I was able to help in some way keep things going well. I will always be here if you need me :wave:

Thanks! :p Good to know!
What a relief about Fluffles! Great to know and you're really good for updating :D

Thank you also for your lovely comments. That's very kind of you. I'm just so glad I was able to help in some way keep things going well. I will always be here if you need me :wave:

Hi,

:wave: Hi, just to let you know (not sure if you will see this), but anyway, 8/9 months on, no sign of anything, still holding thumbs, sweeter than before! All going well!

Last one, hopefully I do not have a 'bunny crisis' for a long while! Anyway, just to let you know, she's now 11 years-old! And went for booster and check up (and her buddy), the vet felt on her jaw line (cheek area) thoroughly, and no sign at all, of those horrid things return! So, just over 1 yr and all clear, she is so sweet now! (As vet. says from that time, thorough cleaning etc). Constant contact and I thought she'd hate me because it was so sore! Nope, total opposite! All good, keep well and thanks for your support!

Last one, hopefully I do not have a 'bunny crisis' for a long while! Anyway, just to let you know, she's now 11 years-old! And went for booster and check up (and her buddy), the vet felt on her jaw line (cheek area) thoroughly, and no sign at all, of those horrid things return! So, just over 1 yr and all clear, she is so sweet now! (As vet. says from that time, thorough cleaning etc). Constant contact and I thought she'd hate me because it was so sore! Nope, total opposite! All good, keep well and thanks for your support!

Wonderful news, thank you for updating us xx

Hey it's lovely to see you again :D

11 years old eh? Doing really well :)

You have a loving and forgiving bunny there - lucky you and her :love:

Pop by from time to time won't you? xx

Hi, Apologise in advance on the timing!! But, I hoped I could get some advice, please! By the way, best wishes and hope you are having a great holiday.
Fluffles is really old now, estimated to be around 13 now! So, now not sure so let's say she is between 11-13! (more sensible). No sign of those horrid abscesses, thankfully.
Because of her terrible teeth, she had a dental in March 2018, I was shocked when the price went up 100%! Queried the hike-up with the vet. He said my last dental was 3 yrs earlier... But, later realised that still equates to a 33.3% yearly hike-up. Is that normal? I've never heard of one that high (yearly). Anyway, she started having difficulty chewing only 8 mths after dental. I thought i'ts way too soon for another dental, so made adaptions to feed, cut everything very finely. She eats her food with gusto and although she hardly moves around much and sleeps a lot, when it's her feed time it's like she's been jolted awake.
Her poops were getting quite small and strange shopes. Read this happens to old bunnies. So changed her hay and gave her meadow cookies and high fibre, also long fibre food of 32%. Phoned my vet. Filled in a bit, asked for Zantac to stimulate her gut again.
I was sent 'Ratidine Oral soft' -- know that's a generic of Zantac.
Zero change. Been 3 weeks, poops still the same but at least consistent and poops normal amount just poops very small, and odd shapes - giving her extra water as well, because they have sharp edges and wrinkly.
Did I ask for the right drug? I see (read) that another drug stimulates the gut?
Left a message for vet. to phone me back, ready to go to war with him, or he could have done nothing wrong and I look like a fool. Nonetheless, he knew Fluffles was ancient and would likely not survive another dental. Now, she might need another this. month (Jan. 2019), I really don't know if she'll make it.
She is very thin but like I said, eating everything. I only realised how thin she was when I picked her up to put on my bed (she can't jump up anymore). Very loveable, and eats her hay (meadow cookie) on bed.
So, how effective is rantidine? :)

Hi, Apologise in advance on the timing!! But, I hoped I could get some advice, please! By the way, best wishes and hope you are having a great holiday.
Fluffles is really old now, estimated to be around 13 now! So, now not sure so let's say she is between 11-13! (more sensible). No sign of those horrid abscesses, thankfully.
Because of her terrible teeth, she had a dental in March 2018, I was shocked when the price went up 100%! Queried the hike-up with the vet. He said my last dental was 3 yrs earlier... But, later realised that still equates to a 33.3% yearly hike-up. Is that normal? I've never heard of one that high (yearly). Anyway, she started having difficulty chewing only 8 mths after dental. I thought i'ts way too soon for another dental, so made adaptions to feed, cut everything very finely. She eats her food with gusto and although she hardly moves around much and sleeps a lot, when it's her feed time it's like she's been jolted awake.
Her poops were getting quite small and strange shopes. Read this happens to old bunnies. So changed her hay and gave her meadow cookies and high fibre, also long fibre food of 32%. Phoned my vet. Filled in a bit, asked for Zantac to stimulate her gut again.
I was sent 'Ratidine Oral soft' -- know that's a generic of Zantac.
Zero change. Been 3 weeks, poops still the same but at least consistent and poops normal amount just poops very small, and odd shapes - giving her extra water as well, because they have sharp edges and wrinkly.
Did I ask for the right drug? I see (read) that another drug stimulates the gut?
Left a message for vet. to phone me back, ready to go to war with him, or he could have done nothing wrong and I look like a fool. Nonetheless, he knew Fluffles was ancient and would likely not survive another dental. Now, she might need another this. month (Jan. 2019), I really don't know if she'll make it.
She is very thin but like I said, eating everything. I only realised how thin she was when I picked her up to put on my bed (she can't jump up anymore). Very loveable, and eats her hay (meadow cookie) on bed.
So, how effective is rantidine? :)

* Decided not to speak to the vet. just yet, need to do a bit more research!

* Decided not to speak to the vet. just yet, need to do a bit more research!

Ranitidine has good prokinetic effects on the lower GI tract. It is often prescribed alongside Metoclopramide, which works on the upper GI tract

See pages 3/4 on here under 'Prokinetics'- http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

Re the Dental situation- some Dental Rabbits need treatment much more frequently than 8 months. Some may need treatment every 8 weeks, depending on the precise nature of the Dental problems.

Personally I would request the Vet runs a full blood profile on Fluffles. Given that she is eating well but still losing weight makes me wonder if the issue is not Dental related. I would specifically be asking the Vet to check Fluffles Kidney and Liver function.

Her lack of mobility may be due to age related osteoarthritis. Another issue to discuss with the Vet as Fluffles may be in some discomfort and if so she would need medication to address this. Usually this would be a non steroidal anti-inflammatory analgesic such as Metacam (Meloxicam) Arthritic Rabbits lose muscle mass/tone which leads to weight loss (muscle weighs more than fat).

A bit of reading for your research :)

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Ranitidine.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Metoclopramide.htm

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/caring-senior-rabbits/

https://lafeber.com/vet/wp-content/uploads/Senior-Rabbit-Client-Handout.pdf

http://www.disabledrabbits.com/seniors.html

Last edited:
Back