• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

1st dental at 11 months old!!

My poor 11 month old lovely lad, Leo (mini lop) is having his first dental today :( We've only had him and his sister for a month and we're their 3rd home as previous owners said they were untidy! Poor darlings been around a bit. This really is a surprise as they are both massive hay eaters along with readigrass etc too. Since being with us they have got through masses and masses of hay as I always feed hay ad-lib. My big question is do you think their past homes might not have fed them properly which may have caused the teeth issues or do you think I might have a couple of dental bunnies? Having dental bunnies isn't a problem as they will have the very best of care but I just need to start saving early to cover expenses. The vet checked Lulu's teeth too this morning and although hers aren't causing any problems the vet did say hers are growing in exactly the same way (they are both staying at the vet). Up until today both were eating fine, pooping and weeing too.

If you can send some good vibes for little Leo I'd be very grateful.

Its possible they weren't fed properly in their previous homes, but mini lops are prone to dental issues due to the shape of their skull. I'm guessing they are brother & sister? Which could also lead to think its more their breed than anything else.
Sadly, I think you may have dental bunnies but keep them eating their hay, grass etc and fingers crossed you can manage it with little surgical input.

I'm really hoping they will be able to wear their teeth down now they both have access to Hay and grass 24/7:thumb:

I'll keep a very close eye on them and get teeth checked now every six months just to make sure all is well. If they are dental bunnies it's such a shame as they are only young but having dental bunnies before hubby and I are experienced in the special care they may need.

Just heard from the vet, Leo is fine and woke up really quickly from the GA :D Just have to get him to eat now. Vet found a very sharp spur that was rubbing against his tongue and making it sore, poor love.

Many thanks for all your vibes :thumb:

He'll get extra treats tonight when he's home :love:

Sending loads of recovery vibes for Leo. I too would imagine the dental problem is due to the shape of their heads. Let's hope things improve with a constant supply of hay for them both.

Thanks so much guys. Leo is the 'nutter' of my bunnies and a real character! Really hope he'll be back to his bonkers self soon as he really wasn't himself at all this morning.

Good news, the vet just called again to say Leo has just tucked into some fresh grass that they have picked for him this afternoon!

I'm just so very pleased as grass is his favorite!!! :D

Hubby is on his way to collect him now so my lovely boy will be home soon!!

Glad to hear he is doing well! And what lovely vets you have to go and pick some grass for him!!

Hope Leo continues to improve :wave:

Good news, the vet just called again to say Leo has just tucked into some fresh grass that they have picked for him this afternoon!

I'm just so very pleased as grass is his favorite!!! :D

Hubby is on his way to collect him now so my lovely boy will be home soon!!

I hope Leo continues to recover and improve :wave:

Leo seems to have taken it all in his stride! Caught him eating a few pellets last night before bed time and nibbling some hay before he nodded off and this morning I picked him some more grass which he tucked into. So pleased as it's half the battle trying to get dental buns to eat after surgery but this little guy is a real star :love:

Update; Leo has been admitted : (

Leo was doing so well after his dental but has now been admitted for tests as he wasn't eating this morning at all. I've noticed he's drinking more than normal and looks uncomfortable when going to the toilet. On the good side he's pooing (not as much as usual) and weeing and seems not too bad in himself just a bit 'off'. I always keep an eye out and haven't seen any chalky wee so I'm really hoping it's just a mild infection and nothing nasty.

If you can spare a few more vibes for my beautiful boy I know it would help :wave:

He has his sister for company while he's in the vet so at least he can snuggle up to her for a cuddle when he needs it.

Leo was doing so well after his dental but has now been admitted for tests as he wasn't eating this morning at all. I've noticed he's drinking more than normal and looks uncomfortable when going to the toilet. On the good side he's pooing (not as much as usual) and weeing and seems not too bad in himself just a bit 'off'. I always keep an eye out and haven't seen any chalky wee so I'm really hoping it's just a mild infection and nothing nasty.

If you can spare a few more vibes for my beautiful boy I know it would help :wave:

He has his sister for company while he's in the vet so at least he can snuggle up to her for a cuddle when he needs it.

Oh I am sorry I missed this update until now. I do hope that Leo got on OK at the Vets. Is he back home now ?

Back