• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Excessive thirst sign of ec? Any other contagious illness cause thirst?

Carrie14

Mama Doe
As the title says.

Waiting on results from vet.

Is it easy to treat and recover from?

I have two out of three buns showing this symptom. After losing Feegal to vhd2 I'm absolutely not ready to loose any more.

So yeah. Any input will be gratefully recieved.

And yes, I'm concerned this could be an extremely unusual presentation of vhd2.

:cry:

Oh dear. what a worry for you :cry:

There are several reasons as to why a Rabbit may start drinking a lot and as you say, EC is one of them. Any bacterial infection can sometimes cause a Rabbit to drink more- eg a UTI. The fact that 2 Rabbits are showing symptoms makes it less likely that the increased drinking is due to things like Dental problems (Rabbits with a sore mouth may drink more). Both liver and kidney problems can cause increased drinking too, for example EC effects the kidneys.

I am sure that Trinity Vets will be very thorough and you can at least be assured that your Rabbits are in the care of very 'Rabbit Savvy' Vets.

Treatment for EC, if that is what is going on, is usually a course of Panacur (for a minimum of 28 days) and in some cases additional medication such as an antibiotic and a non steroidal anti-inflammatory. But I believe Mark now uses a very different treatment protocol for confirmed EC. He may even include an antifungal treatment now (EC has relatively recently been found to be more closely related to a fungus than to a protozoon parasite).

Sending lots of vibes for your Rabbits xx

Sending loads of vibes for your rabbits. I really hope there is a simple explanation for this. I'm sure you will have considered this and I also don't know how "excessive" the thirst is, but all of my rabbits have upped their water consumption recently, which I have put down to increased hay eating and less grass.

As always thank you.

I've never had to deal with ec before. Think I've dealt with most rabbit illnesses, but this one seems more complex than most.

Is treatment usually successful?

Omi, they are house rabbits and there hasn't been a change in diet, or anything really. The one we are waiting on tests for is really bad. 3 sheets of newspaper soaked and a puddle when I tip it to clean the litter tray.

Thank you.

As the title says.

Waiting on results from vet.

Is it easy to treat and recover from?

I have two out of three buns showing this symptom. After losing Feegal to vhd2 I'm absolutely not ready to loose any more.

So yeah. Any input will be gratefully recieved.

And yes, I'm concerned this could be an extremely unusual presentation of vhd2.

:cry:

Hi Carrie

When do you get your vet results? What were the tests for?

I have not heard of excessive thirst being a sign of VHD2 :)

There are many reasons for increased drinking - a sore mouth, EC (as you say) and kidney issues. However, it may be none of these, particularly if more than one of your rabbits is displaying these symptoms.

Try not to worry just yet - easier said than done, I know :)

As always thank you.

I've never had to deal with ec before. Think I've dealt with most rabbit illnesses, but this one seems more complex than most.

Is treatment usually successful?

In that symptoms can resolve, yes. Although Rabbits can have relapses at times of stress or during a concurrent illness. These links give some good info about EC, but try not think too far ahead until you receive the blood test results xx

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/Ecuniculi_Lft.pdf

http://www.gwexotics.com/wccms-resources/a/5/0/e/77554b90-a660-11e0-a685-0050568626ea.pdf

MightyMax just waiting for results now, but seeing as half of rabbits have ec anyway I'm not sure what to think.

Yep trying not to worry...

Not working :lol:

MightyMax just waiting for results now, but seeing as half of rabbits have ec anyway I'm not sure what to think.

Yep trying not to worry...

Not working :lol:

Oh good, not long to wait then :thumb:

Distract yourself .... I know trying not to worry is a bit of a lost cause for me as well xx

It was not ec.:shock: Marks asked me to measure buurs water intake. And kiamarie will be going on antibiotics for cystitis.

Thanks for all the help xx

It was not ec.:shock: Marks asked me to measure buurs water intake. And kiamarie will be going on antibiotics for cystitis.

Thanks for all the help xx

Good- great to know it's not EC :thumb:

I hope Mark will be able to get to the cause of the problem :D

Back