• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

18 days later and Thumper's unwell. Again.

Glad to hear Thumper is doing better! :D Although I'm really intrigued as to what is causing these episodes... Oh rabbits, you can't help but love them! :lol:

Hope Thumper continues to improve and stay out of trouble for a little while yet! :love:

I'm glad that she's better now. As the vet can't find anything obvious, I think I might give changing her diet a try. I'm sure she already has a healthy diet, but it might just be that something she is having is causing the problem.

I'm glad that she's better now. As the vet can't find anything obvious, I think I might give changing her diet a try. I'm sure she already has a healthy diet, but it might just be that something she is having is causing the problem.

I have known Rabbits who cannot tolerate any brand of pellets.

They only really have hay, Fibafirst sticks, dried herbs, a tiny (and I mean tiny) pinch of muesli for breakfast, and weighed pellets for tea (10g each but I think Coco has more than her fair share!). Hay obviously is accessible 24/7, Fibafirst they have 6 between them a day. And that's it. They have access to grass twice a day, every day of the year without fail (unless it's absolutely horrendous weather). Oh, and the odd flower. Fresh mint. Bramble when in season (re-introduced slowly). No veg, no fruit. Nothing else. They've been on the same brand of pellets since the day we brought them home at 6 weeks old so I can't see she's suddenly developed an intolerance to those.

The vet knows what food they have (I've even taken in a sample of each) and is very happy with it, even the muesli because as I said to the vet, I love roast beef & Yorkshire pud but I wouldn't want it every day (as in just hay & grass) so a little bit of something else helps break up the monotony. She's quite happy with the amounts we give too of the extra stuff, like the muesli. And again, they've had the muesli for years too, probably as long as 4 years and it's the same brand, same supplier.

So there's nothing to alter. We took the veg & fruit out because she was bad after that. I gave them strawberry hulls one night - the following morning I found her ill so that was that for them! But they'd had them in the past though, admittedly not regularly, but they didn't have many i.e. slow re-introduction, but they still made her ill.

A good idea, Omi, but there's nothing to change.

Last edited:
I agree It does seem unlikely that it's her diet, however if it were me faced with the same problem I would consider that I wouldn't have much to lose by giving it a try.

I would cut out the pellets and Fibafirst and see if it made a difference, maybe also the Muesli. If she still has the episodes, then you can easily reintroduce them. It would probably mean that you would need to hand feed Coco hers.

I agree It does seem unlikely that it's her diet, however if it were me faced with the same problem I would consider that I wouldn't have much to lose by giving it a try.

I would cut out the pellets and Fibafirst and see if it made a difference, maybe also the Muesli. If she still has the episodes, then you can easily reintroduce them. It would probably mean that you would need to hand feed Coco hers.

I guess it's worth a shot. I'll ask the vet and see what she says :)

They only really have hay, Fibafirst sticks, dried herbs, a tiny (and I mean tiny) pinch of muesli for breakfast, and weighed pellets for tea (10g each but I think Coco has more than her fair share!). Hay obviously is accessible 24/7, Fibafirst they have 6 between them a day. And that's it. They have access to grass twice a day, every day of the year without fail (unless it's absolutely horrendous weather). Oh, and the odd flower. Fresh mint. Bramble when in season (re-introduced slowly). No veg, no fruit. Nothing else. They've been on the same brand of pellets since the day we brought them home at 6 weeks old so I can't see she's suddenly developed an intolerance to those.

The vet knows what food they have (I've even taken in a sample of each) and is very happy with it, even the muesli because as I said to the vet, I love roast beef & Yorkshire pud but I wouldn't want it every day (as in just hay & grass) so a little bit of something else helps break up the monotony. She's quite happy with the amounts we give too of the extra stuff, like the muesli. And again, they've had the muesli for years too, probably as long as 4 years and it's the same brand, same supplier.

So there's nothing to alter. We took the veg & fruit out because she was bad after that. I gave them strawberry hulls one night - the following morning I found her ill so that was that for them! But they'd had them in the past though, admittedly not regularly, but they didn't have many i.e. slow re-introduction, but they still made her ill.

A good idea, Omi, but there's nothing to change.

Sounds a pretty perfect diet - hard to know what on earth to change??

Sounds the same as Rupert... what hay do you use? I found stopping ings helped massively and no longer give him anything that grows from a tree or underground. He only gets 'leafy' greens, grass, meadow hay and burgess light pellets.

He does still get slight issues whenever we get a new bag of pellets tho... like its something to do with what they seal it with or something? Its almost like an IBS type problem.

Sometimes I know it will happen as there will be a 'differen't looking bit of hay, he'll eat it and we all just KNOW its going to kick him off.

Sounds a pretty perfect diet - hard to know what on earth to change??

Thank you :). Vet says to leave it as it is because removing the Fibafirst and pellets is also removing the extra fibre which she thinks could be part of the problem i.e. Thumper needs the fibre. In fact, we've been giving Thumper extra pellets in a morning (only about 8-10) to help increase her fibre to keep her system moving (Coco has about 4 just so she doesn't feel left out!) so to remove them is taking a step backwards. Whether or not it's helping though is doubtful but who knows?!

Sounds the same as Rupert... what hay do you use? I found stopping ings helped massively and no longer give him anything that grows from a tree or underground. He only gets 'leafy' greens, grass, meadow hay and burgess light pellets.

He does still get slight issues whenever we get a new bag of pellets tho... like its something to do with what they seal it with or something? Its almost like an IBS type problem.

Sometimes I know it will happen as there will be a 'differen't looking bit of hay, he'll eat it and we all just KNOW its going to kick him off.

They have meadow hay and love it. Same supplier. Sometimes it's a bit bittier than others in which case once we've got towards the bottom of a bag (like now, actually) we'll open a fresh one and then use the remnants of the other on the floor as best we can, but throw the obvious dusty like bits in the bin.

She's never had problems when we open a new bag of hay, or new bag of pellets, nothing that we can pinpoint. Other than I gave her strawberry tops one night and she was bad by the next morning. Coco was fine but she's just a hoover :lol:.

Back