• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

'once opened consume within 24hrs'

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
have a feeling i've asked this before but does anyone pay attention to this? we get the piggies a mixed lettuce leaf salad bag from tesco which says this. but if it's still ok longer than this then is it safe to use? :wave:

I eat bags of salad that have been open longer than that. When I open them I use a clip to keep it closed and fresh. I go on how it looks. If it's limp and or brown on the edge or going slimy I chuck it, if not, I eat it :)

I'm same. If it looks and smells okay it gets used well past the 24 hr rule.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I'm not fussy with used by dates at all unless it's meat.
I survived my nanas pantry Haha everything in there was old .
You can tell when fresh stuff is off it goes limp and wilted :D

I don't even look at the dates on fruit and veg unless it's to work out just how long the damn butternut squash has been sitting in there taunting me to get round to making it into a risotto!

Is bagged salad really only given 24hrs? That is mad!

I don't even look at the dates on fruit and veg unless it's to work out just how long the damn butternut squash has been sitting in there taunting me to get round to making it into a risotto!

Is bagged salad really only given 24hrs? That is mad!

yeah I don't get it, how could the lettuce go bad that quickly?! surely vegetables and fruits and such have only gone bad when they actually look/smell spoiled. i never even realized they had used by dates!

have a feeling i've asked this before but does anyone pay attention to this? we get the piggies a mixed lettuce leaf salad bag from tesco which says this. but if it's still ok longer than this then is it safe to use? :wave:

They overdo the caution a lot with fruit and veg.

Eye and smell can determine freshness ... xx

Back