• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Winter-proofing hutch advice please

walsh366

Young Bun
Hiya

I've bought a new 6 foot hutch for my two mini lops and really want some winter proofing advice please.

My old 4' hutch with my previous hardy outdoor rabbit in had Cloud 9 carpet underlay on the top, duvet panels over the whole roof and down the back and sides and covered with a waterproof hutch cover. Sleeping area jam packed with straw on top of a thick layer of newspaper and Pete was toasty.

This new hutch as a lift up lid, consequently it's cover doesn't have a top, it's just a round-the-sides one. I know i'll have to not use the lid in the winter, but what do you think re top covering, insulation, etc.

Many thanks. Should say the rabs were new to me in April as rescues - now aged 1 and last winter the owner kept them in her lounge as soon as the weather turned. They have always been outside since I've had them and will be outdoors over winter unless minus temperature/snowing when will move the hutch into the conservatory temporarily.
20160911_090818_zpsiwssc2li.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
I would cover the top with either tarpaulin or another layer of felt. It's a bit near the ground - can you raise it up as the ground gets very damp in the winter and spring? What I do is I have big litter trays filled with hay on top of paper and they can sit in that, whereas if you put the straw/hay anywhere else the bunnies are likely to toilet on that too. Rabbits can usually cope with cold weather and your hutch has a cover which will help to keep a lot of the wind and rain out. Is it much warmer in the Conservatory? as that might not be a good idea if it is as the change in temperature might not be good for them.

Thanks for your advice. No the conservatory is unheated, wood and single glazed so actually often only a degree or so warmer than outside but you don't get the biting wind or snow fall.

Back