• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Confusing behaviour

without_halo

Alpha Buck
Hi we have a male and female rabbit and we have had the male castrated but not the female yet.

We have noticed that sometimes the female chases the male rabbit around and starts mating with him as if their roles are reversed.

Will this disappear if we get the female spayed? We are planning to get her done, but as we have just moved house, money is tight until next month.

Any advise will be appreciated.

Jode

Mating can be a sign of dominant behaviour, or just for fun. When shes spayed it might lesson with her hormones but if she wears the pants in the relationship its just a natural courtship thing. Individual personalities I expect.
Dont worry,

Mating can be a sign of dominant behaviour. When she is spayed it will probably lessen with her hormones but if she wears the pants in the relationship its just a natural courtship thing. Individual personalities I expect.
Dont worry, as long as he doesnt mind

Hi as Emilou has already said this is something that bunnies do, it can be a play thing, or a re-establishment of hierarchy. Bunnies sometimes do it immediately after they have been moved. I have a bonded male and female pairs, and bonded males, both neutered, and they both still mount each other, from different angles :oops: , doesn't really matter to them... as long as there is no sign of distress I wouldn't worry. Neutereing will reduce this but it won't stop it completely.

Thanks alot.

Ron (if he had facial expression) would look resigned to the fact it happens, at all angles :oops: .... Hopefully he wont bite back.

Miffy my female rabbit does it to claude its usually when she is having a phantam pregnancy she pulls her fur out and makes a nest then next comes the humping! claude doesnt like it and he tells her off!

when i think about it she did nest build last week, I even had to pull a big clump of fur out of her mouth. I think as soon as we can afford it we will get her spayed

Honey used to do this with Alfie but, so far, has not with her new partner. She gets hormonal (very stroppy) and then nest builds about a week later - this is when she will dig burrows in the garden too. She is booked in for her spay a week today so that will all be ending soon!!

Billy is neutered and Rosie is spayed.

Billy was always mounting Rosie soon after they were bonded and I started feeling really sorry for her, then one day she turned round and flattened him on the floor and did it to him, the wrong way round (she always does this!!) and all I could see was his four little grey legs poking out :lol:

It was like "See how YOU like it!"

Bunnysam

PS Now I think Billy likes it in a funny way - WEIRD!!!

Back