• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Best way of cleaning a mucky bottom?

Lottie999

Warren Scout
:wave: Hello all :)

Due to Poppy's arthritis she's unable to clean herself as well as she used to - whats the best way to clean her? She most certainly is not a fan of being held for long periods of time! Are there any like baby-type wipes I could use? Thanks in advance :)

Due to Poppy's arthritis she's unable to clean herself as well as she used to - whats the best way to clean her? She most certainly is not a fan of being held for long periods of time! Are there any like baby-type wipes I could use? Thanks in advance :)

Could you get the Vet/VN to clip the fur from around her rear end. That would make cleaning her a lot easier. Personally I just use warm water to clean up a mucky bunny bum. I know some people do use pet wipes/baby wipes.

My bridge bun Toffee, had dental issues all his life, and often got a mucky bum. I used to get down on the floor, hold him on my knee, and wipe with damp cotton wool, using a bowl of warm water. Make sure you dry the area after with dry cotton wool. As Jane said, getting the area clipped by a professional makes the job a lot easier.

Hi Lottie :wave:

I don't find baby wipes very effective at keeping a rabbit's botty clean. What I do with my elderlies is clip the fur around the back end. Both under and *above* the tail (as flies can easily lay their eggs there and you don't want flystrike). This could be a two person job to make it quicker, or if you've a vet visit scheduled then you can ask the vet nurse to do it/help.

Otherwise I simply give a quick butt bath in about an inch of warm water and dry well. It's really quick and easy once the fur has been clipped.

Do you think the lovely Poppy would acquiesce to such indignities, just the once? :D

Hi Lottie :wave:

I don't find baby wipes very effective at keeping a rabbit's botty clean. What I do with my elderlies is clip the fur around the back end. Both under and *above* the tail (as flies can easily lay their eggs there and you don't want flystrike). This could be a two person job to make it quicker, or if you've a vet visit scheduled then you can ask the vet nurse to do it/help.

Otherwise I simply give a quick butt bath in about an inch of warm water and dry well. It's really quick and easy once the fur has been clipped.

Do you think the lovely Poppy would acquiesce to such indignities, just the once? :D

Poppy has already had flystrike once bless her and my mum and I managed to save her - dont want to go through that again!

I'll try her with a butt bath - hopefully she'll allow me to dry her! Thanks all for the advice :wave:

Poppy has already had flystrike once bless her and my mum and I managed to save her - dont want to go through that again!

I'll try her with a butt bath - hopefully she'll allow me to dry her! Thanks all for the advice :wave:

You're really welcome :wave:

Good luck with the bath! xx

Am I right in thinking I'll be ok drying her off with a hairdryer set to cool?

Yes, that should be OK.

I've been having this discussion with someone else, and both of us actually don't use a hair dryer - quite noisy and you do have to make sure you don't burn (which you wouldn't on cool).

We tend to swaddle in warm towels and do it at a time when they won't be at risk of getting more cold :D

Back