• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bertie.

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
I can't believe i'm actually writing this, it doesn't seem real. I adopted Bertie on August 15th, and within days we were like best friends. Over the next few weeks we spent every day together, with me being at home because of my ME, and him being in my lounge because he wasn't neutered yet, I was around him all the time. He was energetic, naughty, funny, and the sweetest little bun.

I fell in love with the little guy, totally and absolutely. He made me laugh, made me smile, and watching him play with his little jumps, go to the toybox and get himself out the toys he wanted, watching him run up and down the stairs was just wonderful.

Yesterday, he went for his neuter. I wasn't worried. I didn't even get up to say goodbye, my Mum took him for 8am while I was asleep, I find mornings very hard because of my health. And at 11:30, I had a phone call to say that he had died under GA. They had barely just turned him over, and his heart stopped.

I feel totally, and utterly broken. It's such a different kind of grief to anything I have experienced because I feel so robbed, so completely robbed of his life with me. We were supposed to have years and years. That's why I went for a younger rabbit. He was barely nine months old.

I am so sorry Bertie. I miss you so much already and I can't even get my head around that I'll never see you again.

Oh my word, I'm so sorry. :( Losing a rabbit under anaesthetic (for spay/neuter especially) is close to being one of my worst nightmares for rabbits. :( I'm so sorry that you were robbed of your friend, so sorry he was robbed of a life in such a wonderful loving home. They are so fragile.

Look after yourself, and don't blame yourself either. The op was meant to ensure he had a long and healthy life ahead of him. I'm sorry it didn't go that way.

I am so sorry you lost Bertie :cry: It is always very sad to lose a rabbit but especially so under these circumstances.

OMG Sarah Jane, I am utterly speechless. I am so very sorry :cry: What an absolute tragedy :cry: I am actually crying myself now and so I can only begin to imagine how distraught you must feel :cry:

Binky free Bertie, forever to be a young spirit xx

Oh how terrible. I am so sorry you have lost Bertie - life is so cruel. Run free at The Bridge, little one, you will be terribly missed. xxx

I am really, really sorry. I just don't know what to say, nothing will make it easier for you at this time. I had a similar phone call many years ago and I still get upset when I think of the life he missed. My bunny was called Bertie and he was a black rabbit. Since then I have had lots of rabbits neutered with no problem. It is very heartbreaking.

Thank you everyone. I am so, so sad right now. It's such a different kind of grief, but so painful after losing Domino two months ago.

I'm so sorry you lost your utterly gorgeous boy & under such sad & unexpected circumstances x

Back