• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor Base

Dylan123

Warren Scout
Hi everyone,so Dexter free ranges my bedroom which works really well but I would like to be able to shut him in for a few minutes while I hoover,brush,etc. So can anyone recommend a base? I'm thinking abojt a 36" dog crate. It needs to fit a 32l underbed storage box(litter tray),hay feeder,waterbowl,and possibly a hide but I the hide isn't essential I can put that outside of the base. Oh and maybe a shelf? Any suggestions appreciated.

Hi everyone,so Dexter free ranges my bedroom which works really well but I would like to be able to shut him in for a few minutes while I hoover,brush,etc. So can anyone recommend a base? I'm thinking abojt a 36" dog crate. It needs to fit a 32l underbed storage box(litter tray),hay feeder,waterbowl,and possibly a hide but I the hide isn't essential I can put that outside of the base. Oh and maybe a shelf? Any suggestions appreciated.

Well what springs to my mind is that to hoover and brush effectively I would need Dexter out of the room. So if he were my bunny I would put him in the bathroom for 15 minutes...

Well what springs to my mind is that to hoover and brush effectively I would need Dexter out of the room. So if he were my bunny I would put him in the bathroom for 15 minutes...
That is a good idea thank you 😀 I've never thought of that. Just getting him there would be tricky-He hates being picked up and won't leave my room as he doesn't like the Hall flooring.
Eta: If I do go for a crate my cockatiels cage will be put on top of it.

Last edited:
A dog crate could work, but with a cocktail cage on top of anything without a solid top, their seeds etc could fall through into his base. I'd ideally not want him eating their food. Along with all the dander, faeces that could fall down into his water bowl etc.

You'd also have to think about moving it to clean behind the base.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

A dog crate could work, but with a cocktail cage on top of anything without a solid top, their seeds etc could fall through into his base. I'd ideally not want him eating their food. Along with all the dander, faeces that could fall down into his water bowl etc.

You'd also have to think about moving it to clean behind the base.

thanks for replying 😀 Sorry I don't quite understand? The cockatiels cage is 3ft x 2ft so it would fit exactly on top. (same as most indoor rabbit cages,exact same base but the cage is taller.) what if I added a "cage tidy" or the no-mess Seed feeder? Do you think that would work? This is what the cage looks like(more perches and toys now,it's an old picture)

Last edited:
thanks for replying 😀 Sorry I don't quite understand? The cockatiels cage is 3ft x 2ft so it would fit exactly on top. (same as most indoor rabbit cages,exact same base but the cage is taller.) what if I added a "cage tidy" or the no-mess Seed feeder? Do you think that would work? This is what the cage looks like(more perches and toys now,it's an old picture)
I just worry as even when they fit exactly on top, the seeds, dander, feathers etc still manage to find their way into it.
A cage tidy might work, to help reduce the amount that gets thrown out of the cage.

(I'm just remembering how messy the cocktails are, at least not as bad as love birds)

I just worry as even when they fit exactly on top, the seeds, dander, feathers etc still manage to find their way into it.
A cage tidy might work, to help reduce the amount that gets thrown out of the cage.

(I'm just remembering how messy the cocktails are, at least not as bad as love birds)

You're probably right,I could stack the Guinea Pigs cage on top but the crate would need to be bigger as their cage is 4ft x 2ft? Would a 48" crate be massive for just a base that he would never be locked in?
Thanks for all the replies everyone they have been very helpful.

Could you put something like a blanket over the crate? So all but one side is covered? (e.g. leave the door area open) This might be enough to stop dander, feathers etc from getting into the crate. It'll also allow him to feel like its his own personal burrow area if he'll be able to have 24/7 access to it.

Could you put something like a blanket over the crate? So all but one side is covered? (e.g. leave the door area open) This might be enough to stop dander, feathers etc from getting into the crate. It'll also allow him to feel like its his own personal burrow area if he'll be able to have 24/7 access to it.
Yes I could do. Do you Know if a 36" crate would fit a 32l storage box comfortably(think it's 23" long) and his hay feeder(over the tray) and maybe a hide?

I think you'll just about fit the tray in, but I wouldn't add a hide - you mentioned adding a shelf? This will add more space to the base, it'll just be a case of playing around to see what fits etc.

If you can, go to a pet shop that has them and measure it all out so you can sort of visualise it. (You can always buy it online cheaper)

Yes I could add a shelf but the hay feeder is 16" high which would leave about 10" of headspace on the shelf would that be too small?

I think you'll just about fit the tray in, but I wouldn't add a hide - you mentioned adding a shelf? This will add more space to the base, it'll just be a case of playing around to see what fits etc.

If you can, go to a pet shop that has them and measure it all out so you can sort of visualise it. (You can always buy it online cheaper)
I went into a Petshop today to measure the crates-42" is huge! So I decided to go for the 36" crate as he will only really be locked up for 10-15 minutes at a time. When I told the woman working there the crate was for a rabbit she suggested the smallest one there 😟 It was only a 24" crate.

Sorry I never replied! I'm sure you'll find the solution for shelf if need be :)
I can't believe she suggested the smallest. Sadly many people still don't understand

Sorry I never replied! I'm sure you'll find the solution for shelf if need be :)
I can't believe she suggested the smallest. Sadly many people still don't understand
Insane prices too. The 42" crate was €100 (€40 on amazon incl delivery) and I think the 36" was around €70/80.

If you only need it for when you are cleaning for a few minutes, why not distract him with pellets whilst you do it? That's what I do,it means I don't need a crate or anything.

Back