• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Could rabbit get fleas from forage?

deegirlll

New Kit
I have an indoor rabbit. He is 1 year and 2 months. We sometimes bring in fresh grass from outside and leaves from trees for him to eat, which he liked. Because he is an indoor pet, he is not on flea medication and he doesn't have fleas. Could he get fleas from us bringing leaves from trees and grass into our house?

Thank you!

I have an indoor rabbit. He is 1 year and 2 months. We sometimes bring in fresh grass from outside and leaves from trees for him to eat, which he liked. Because he is an indoor pet, he is not on flea medication and he doesn't have fleas. Could he get fleas from us bringing leaves from trees and grass into our house?

Thank you!

The usual vector of fleas is other animals, so for example if you had a Cat or a Dog aswell as Rabbits the Cat/Dog could bring fleas indoors. Personally I do not use any regular flea preventative treatment on my indoor Rabbits, but I do on my Puppy (who could bring fleas into the house).

Fleas are a vector of disease such as Myxomatosis. So it may be that in some circumstances it is appropriate to use a flea preventative treatment on Rabbits. It is a case of assessing the specifics of each individual situation and speaking with a Rabbit savvy Vet about whether using a flea preventative treatment is appropriate for your Rabbits :)

Thank you!

No it's highly unlikely he will get fleas from you bringing leaves and grass into your home.

Loads of us have done this for very many years with no problems :wave:

its quite likely you will get bitten to death whilst collecting it though :lol: my current bug bear

Back