• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not bothered about hay

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all,

One of our rabbits doesn't eat much hay. He is otherwise well though and it's not a new thing.

I'm currently buying Ings hay and its seems like lovely quality and my other rabbits like it, but Sydney always has lots left.

Are some rabbits just not that bothered about hay? Has anyone found a type that even the fussiest of rabbits will eat?

Is there anything I should be doing extra to keep him healthy if I can't get him eating more?

Thank you x

Have you tried readigrass? Many reluctant hay eaters like / manage it. What is his diet & has a vet assessed his teeth ? x

Hi all,

One of our rabbits doesn't eat much hay. He is otherwise well though and it's not a new thing.

I'm currently buying Ings hay and its seems like lovely quality and my other rabbits like it, but Sydney always has lots left.

Are some rabbits just not that bothered about hay? Has anyone found a type that even the fussiest of rabbits will eat?

Is there anything I should be doing extra to keep him healthy if I can't get him eating more?

Thank you x

I free feed readigrass.

If a rabbit's in a group, and the others eat hay, then I would think about inspecting the teeth. It's unusual for one not to follow suit unless there's a good reason not to.

How is he with fresh grass?

Readigrass and oatigrass here :)
Both my girls go mad for it.

I'd definitely be checking the back teeth just to ensure there isn't anything going on there.

Some rabbits are fussy with their hay. My girls are those types of rabbits, we can only feed dean's meadow hay, readigrass/oatigrass or western Timothy hay

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Green Oat Readigrass here too!!! They all love it!! Along with normal readigrass too:thumb:

I've found the baled hay direct from a farm is always enjoyed! I've tried loads of others and nothing goes down as well as bog standard baled hay. They all refuse any that are bagged etc.

Thanks for all the replies :)

I'll definitely be getting some readigrass in then, see what he thinks. He's only had a visual teeth check when he had his vaccination recently, but perhaps he does need them checked more thoroughly then.

At the moment he's a single bun, but he's one of those we are bonding in a trio MM. He currently has Harringtons pellets because he arrived here eating those and loves them. I don't know how good they are though. Buffy has Science Selective, so I wondered if I might need to change the boys over, unless they are going to eat separately. He loves his veggies too, gets really excited.

I haven't really been giving him fresh grass, as our lawn is full of weeds and I'm not sure if any are unsuitable.

x

Thanks for all the replies :)

I'll definitely be getting some readigrass in then, see what he thinks. He's only had a visual teeth check when he had his vaccination recently, but perhaps he does need them checked more thoroughly then.

At the moment he's a single bun, but he's one of those we are bonding in a trio MM. He currently has Harringtons pellets because he arrived here eating those and loves them. I don't know how good they are though. Buffy has Science Selective, so I wondered if I might need to change the boys over, unless they are going to eat separately. He loves his veggies too, gets really excited.

I haven't really been giving him fresh grass, as our lawn is full of weeds and I'm not sure if any are unsuitable.

x

I really must try and keep up ThreeB's :lol:

If you can find a good blade or two of grass, and he struggles to eat it, I would mull over the teeth thingy :D

Back