• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed please

Macwannab

New Kit
:wave:
Hi all I'm new here and would like any advice if possible we bought two girl bunnies, 8 week old mini lops a week past Monday and sadly on the Wednesday one died, I contacted the breeder who was sorry and offered us another one who was a boy,in the meantime I took the one girl left with us,too the vets too be checked over with the other passing away she seemed OK but under weight I was told too keep an eye on her see how she went.
She seemed OK eating drinking,in the pen etc and on Friday will collected the boy,who was the same age but bigger than her and twice the weight,we noticed on Monday morning that the girl seemed very different,they cuddled into each other a lot.
We decided too take them for there first vaccinations but when we saw a vet she wouldn't give it too the girl as she was still under weight,she did a few checks and said she needed an antibiotic and food recovery,we gave her the first dose but then as we went too give her the second she died in my husbands arms,so sad this was.we had lost two within a week,anyway the next day we changed the hutches hay water etc just incase,and he seemed very different,he hadn't pooed all night and not touched his food,so another trip too the vets for them too say he is bloated and was put on a drip,medication also,we've had three rabbits two we lost and one who's poorly,in the space of just over a week.i contacted the breeder who wasn't interested really no refund offered etc which is fine I just wanted happy bunnies and wanting too make sure no one else is going through this heartache,we have spent a lot if money also.
Can you advise me if I just leave this alone or shall I seek more help on the matter,they apparently came from different mums too,this has been an awful week for us,let's hope the boy makes a recovery.

:wave:
Hi all I'm new here and would like any advice if possible we bought two girl bunnies, 8 week old mini lops a week past Monday and sadly on the Wednesday one died, I contacted the breeder who was sorry and offered us another one who was a boy,in the meantime I took the one girl left with us,too the vets too be checked over with the other passing away she seemed OK but under weight I was told too keep an eye on her see how she went.
She seemed OK eating drinking,in the pen etc and on Friday will collected the boy,who was the same age but bigger than her and twice the weight,we noticed on Monday morning that the girl seemed very different,they cuddled into each other a lot.
We decided too take them for there first vaccinations but when we saw a vet she wouldn't give it too the girl as she was still under weight,she did a few checks and said she needed an antibiotic and food recovery,we gave her the first dose but then as we went too give her the second she died in my husbands arms,so sad this was.we had lost two within a week,anyway the next day we changed the hutches hay water etc just incase,and he seemed very different,he hadn't pooed all night and not touched his food,so another trip too the vets for them too say he is bloated and was put on a drip,medication also,we've had three rabbits two we lost and one who's poorly,in the space of just over a week.i contacted the breeder who wasn't interested really no refund offered etc which is fine I just wanted happy bunnies and wanting too make sure no one else is going through this heartache,we have spent a lot if money also.
Can you advise me if I just leave this alone or shall I seek more help on the matter,they apparently came from different mums too,this has been an awful week for us,let's hope the boy makes a recovery.

Welcome to the Forum and I'm really sorry to hear about your losses :(

I hope your little boy makes it. It sounds like he's in good hands with your vet. Have you had rabbits before?

I personally don't use breeders, though I know a fair number do. You may find a more reliably healthy rabbit from a rescue centre - they do have young ones and babies. They are thoroughly vet checked and vaccinated. Also neutered if old enough.

Did the breeder give you some food to take with you, as they had been eating before? Introducing new foods can be a minefield for a little bunny's tummy. You have to go carefully and follow guidance.

There are good guidelines on feeding rabbits here:

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/

Down the right had side are links that are very useful :thumb:

Good luck xx

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry it's under such very distressing circumstances.

I also don't use breeders and if it were me I would be shocked that the breeder in this case was not interested in what had happened to three of the rabbits that you had received from him. I would not be looking for a refund either, but I would have expected him to have been wanting to establish what the issue was, especially in case it could affect other rabbits in his care.

I hope that your little buck rabbit recovers well. I personally would not go back to this breeder again. I would be looking to see if any rescues close to you had any rabbits who you could adopt as a partner for your buck when he's better. That way you would be sure that the rabbit was healthy.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope that everything turns out well, especially in respect of your little buck.

How very sad for you, not to mention the bunnies. Did you give them vegetables as this can make them very ill, IF thery haven't been fed them at the breeders. I know of a breeder who sold his rabbits without warning people about this and a lot died within a week or two! I would wait until you are sure your boy bunny is fully healthy before you look to getting him a friend. I wouldn't go back to the same breeder, and come back for more advice before you go ahead. Welcome to the Forum :wave:

I too would be more interested in the care aspect they had with you such as what foods you have given them, did you provide constant good quality hay, what substrate you kept them on - did you keep the bunnies out door or indoor?

And then more about the breeders - were they kept outdoor or indoor? How the mother and babies appeared - how the enclosures appeared (hygiene etc). Did the breeder give you any food for changeover to your own food? How long did you leave the rabbits to settle in before bothering them (handling etc).

It's impossible to even take a wild guess as to what's gone on without some more in depth information. Whatever has happened, sounds to me as if the move has triggered it. I imagine if the rest of the breeders litter is fine whilst your 3 have passed that's why she didn't want to give a refund having already provided a replacement (without at least an autopsy on one of them). As with the first two when one passed away with you hers were still fine (enough to give you a replacement bun, anyway). Of course that's not to say something was not going on unseen before the buns got to you.

Sorry this has happened to you. It must be devastating :( More in depth info will help us advise better. xx

Thank you all smudge was in the vets for a good four days,he was prescribed medication.weve brought him home and giving him these,which is not easy considering we have had no time too bond with our rabbits,not handled very much but we are getting there he is eating a lot more now,and having poo s lol,although the vet is sure that he is a she???
As too answer some of the questions out too us,we never hand,ed the new ones we let them settle in for a good two days,we only ever fed the rabbits on Harringtons pellets that were given with them from the breeder,he or she basically had gas and he also had a bacteria in his poo,maybe the other two did also but unfortunately they were taken from us too soon before we could notice that they actually were not right,but here's hoping we now have a happy bunny who we get many years of pleasure with.
I really appreciate you all taking e time too reply and thank you,I look forward too u all answering ours questions in the future as as a newbie we do have lots. Thanks again.xx

Thank you all smudge was in the vets for a good four days,he was prescribed medication.weve brought him home and giving him these,which is not easy considering we have had no time too bond with our rabbits,not handled very much but we are getting there he is eating a lot more now,and having poo s lol,although the vet is sure that he is a she???
As too answer some of the questions out too us,we never hand,ed the new ones we let them settle in for a good two days,we only ever fed the rabbits on Harringtons pellets that were given with them from the breeder,he or she basically had gas and he also had a bacteria in his poo,maybe the other two did also but unfortunately they were taken from us too soon before we could notice that they actually were not right,but here's hoping we now have a happy bunny who we get many years of pleasure with.
I really appreciate you all taking e time too reply and thank you,I look forward too u all answering ours questions in the future as as a newbie we do have lots. Thanks again.xx

Good to see you posting here again :wave:

Please keep in touch and let us know how things go. Always happy to help :D

Back