• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dangerous Turf

LuCharlie

New Kit
Hello! As part of building our rabbit run and making it fox proof, we laid turf over wire mesh. Charlie likes to dig, which we thought was fine as we knew that the wire mesh would stop him digging out. Unfortunately we have discovered via his digging activities that there is green plastic netting embedded in all of the new turf (we did not notice this at all when we laid it and it seems ridiculous that the turf is riddled with plastic). We are now worried that the bunnies will chew and possibly ingest this plastic netting, so are faced with the prospect of digging it all up. I have e-mailed the well known DIY store to see what they say, but just wanted to know if anyone else had experienced similar or had any suggestions. I did consider if we should put in a digging box to deter Charlie from digging the turf, but not convinced that would be a solution. Below is a pic of a bit of the plastic that we pulled off, and a pic of our run to put it in context. Thanks for any replies!
WP_20160906_18_17_29_Pro_zpsji5v8162.jpg
WP_20160818_07_34_00_Pro_zpsyznzpr6a.jpg

Hello! As part of building our rabbit run and making it fox proof, we laid turf over wire mesh. Charlie likes to dig, which we thought was fine as we knew that the wire mesh would stop him digging out. Unfortunately we have discovered via his digging activities that there is green plastic netting embedded in all of the new turf (we did not notice this at all when we laid it and it seems ridiculous that the turf is riddled with plastic). We are now worried that the bunnies will chew and possibly ingest this plastic netting, so are faced with the prospect of digging it all up. I have e-mailed the well known DIY store to see what they say, but just wanted to know if anyone else had experienced similar or had any suggestions. I did consider if we should put in a digging box to deter Charlie from digging the turf, but not convinced that would be a solution. Below is a pic of a bit of the plastic that we pulled off, and a pic of our run to put it in context. Thanks for any replies!
WP_20160906_18_17_29_Pro_zpsji5v8162.jpg
WP_20160818_07_34_00_Pro_zpsyznzpr6a.jpg

Your rabbit housing looks spectacular :D

I'm so sorry you've had this with the green mesh. I've never laid turfs so I've no idea if it's a common thing.

I don't like the idea, BUT my own rabbits don't dig up the grass as they prefer to completely annihilate my borders :roll: But in your case it's actually part of their outdoor area so they may spend a happy few hours trying to dig it up.

I think if it were me, I would replace it all. But that's because I'm super cautious - you may get away with providing loads of other digging opportunities that are more exciting.

what a pain! I'd be inclined to replace it too I'm afraid. We laid a little turf (only a few rolls) which Joey tunnelled in to - this was going back a couple of years though. No issue with ours

Love your set up :love: I would replace it all I'm afraid. Hope you can get your money back on the turf that isn't any good. Dread to think what it would do if it got caught in a mower too, in a more conventional use.

You'll find that most turf suppliers do this. I only found the stuff when I was taking old turf up. Thankfully none of mine are diggers. The only thing I can suggest, if you don't go down the dig box route, is to lift it and re-lay new turf from a meshless supplier or mix it up with paving/bark chips and grass trays.
Great set up though :thumb:

Thanks for the replies, and for the comments on our set up (making me feel slightly better!). Yes our instinct is that we will have to replace it all somehow, though we wont be able to do this immediately. I am glad in a way that you all seem to agree and that we are not being paranoid about it. I think that the plastic would potentially be a hazard for wildlife in general so very surprised to discover this netting. I will let you know if I have any joy with the shop! Cheers.

Thanks bunslave. Interesting that you have encountered it too. It is only Charlie that digs - Lulu not interested at all but she does like to lay in the hole!!!

Back