• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Boo & her princess lair- update

when do you move x

hoping to get the keys the week after next but there is loads of work to do in the house so we'll not actually move in for a couple of months after that . I'm gonna be proper busy for a change. I'll only get to spend a couple of hours a day with the bunnies :( but they have each other

Was he always brave or did that happen when he got the name Max? I sometimes worry I gave Mouse a name she feels she needs to live down to :( (although it was chosen more for her pretty face & big round ears)

He wasn't always brave, no :)

He came with his name (he was a foster that never left :lol:). He was one of 26+ rabbits that were unwanted. My garden was full to brimming with fosters at the time, so he slept on my bed and became my companion over Christmas.

His bravery grew as his cheekiness grew :lol:

I have to say though, I believe a name to be very important :D

I have a related question. Should I put some of Mouse's poo in the litter trays in new house to give her a head start or is that too much interference?

Yep, definitely restrict them to one room to start with. Then once they've established that as a safe base they'll be more confident exploring elsewhere.

To help the settle take as much of their scent and things will you as possible, so don't treat it as an opportunity for a spring clean. Take a dirty litter tray, old chewed up toys, last weeks bedding, the box that is one chew away from collapsing etc. it will all smell like them and help them settle more quickly :)

Yep, definitely restrict them to one room to start with. Then once they've established that as a safe base they'll be more confident exploring elsewhere.

To help the settle take as much of their scent and things will you as possible, so don't treat it as an opportunity for a spring clean. Take a dirty litter tray, old chewed up toys, last weeks bedding, the box that is one chew away from collapsing etc. it will all smell like them and help them settle more quickly :)

That is good advice Tamsin as my instinct is new house, new stuff (thinking about them & not me) ! I shall bring their manky stuff with me & have the pleasure of getting rid once they are settled. Thank You

[/B]

That is good advice Tamsin as my instinct is new house, new stuff (thinking about them & not me) ! I shall bring their manky stuff with me & have the pleasure of getting rid once they are settled. Thank You

Personally I would start all new :D

I always think old things have memories for them, and I would want memories/ bonds to start afresh in a new place. Being altogether in a new home is quite exciting for rabbits (usually), especially if you give them a load of new boxes and toys. I wouldn't want old behaviours to be triggered by what they remember ..... Does that make any sense?

Sorry to disagree :wave:

Personally I would start all new :D

I always think old things have memories for them, and I would want memories/ bonds to start afresh in a new place. Being altogether in a new home is quite exciting for rabbits (usually), especially if you give them a load of new boxes and toys. I wouldn't want old behaviours to be triggered by what they remember ..... Does that make any sense?

Sorry to disagree :wave:

well trust you to throw a spanner in the works :lol:

They will be manically chinning everything, "mine" - that always makes me laugh

Well as opinion is divided I'll have to continue thinking on this one.

well trust you to throw a spanner in the works :lol:

They will be manically chinning everything, "mine" - that always makes me laugh

Well as opinion is divided I'll have to continue thinking on this one.

You can always rely on me J&B :lol:

I just wouldn't like any memories of - 'that's my box, I had it first' .. or any overriding scent to throw the balance off. But there again I travel a lot to new places with my buns, and they seem to love the newness and chinning. Keeps them occupied!

I'll probably wake up tomorrow to find a dozen posts with the opposite point of view :lol:

You can always rely on me J&B :lol:

I just wouldn't like any memories of - 'that's my box, I had it first' .. or any overriding scent to throw the balance off. But there again I travel a lot to new places with my buns, and they seem to love the newness and chinning. Keeps them occupied!

I'll probably wake up tomorrow to find a dozen posts with the opposite point of view :lol:

I think Boo will love the move, Joey has coped fine with 2 moves despite being a sensitive boy, Mouse will prob be ok as long as Boo is nice (she usually is). I do think the lounge is the way to start. Its a small room & where they'll have their base - litter tray zone etc . Mouse is really happy to comforted by food & Joey over anything. I want to agree with you over Tamsin mainly cos I want nice stuff on my reclaimed birch wood floor:lol: Ahhh, to sweep & mop rather than hoover will be brilliant

I think Boo will love the move, Joey has coped fine with 2 moves despite being a sensitive boy, Mouse will prob be ok as long as Boo is nice (she usually is). I do think the lounge is the way to start. Its a small room & where they'll have their base - litter tray zone etc . Mouse is really happy to comforted by food & Joey over anything. I want to agree with you over Tamsin mainly cos I want nice stuff on my reclaimed birch wood floor:lol: Ahhh, to sweep & mop rather than hoover will be brilliant

I agree with Tamsin, if it was me, I would take their old stuff, and if you want to get new stuff, get it when they've settled in. And I can definitely recommend a long handled dustpan and brush, for sweeping up the territorial poops :thumb:

I agree with Tamsin, if it was me, I would take their old stuff, and if you want to get new stuff, get it when they've settled in. And I can definitely recommend a long handled dustpan and brush, for sweeping up the territorial poops :thumb:

Thanks Zoobec :) However, there will not be any territorial poops :lol:I've had a discussion with all bunnies & they have promised that not one piece of hay or poo will escape the trays. Mind you I have to sign to Boo so maybe she didn't quite understand :lol:

Anybody else - WWYD?? the more opinions the better

Another vote for Tamsin's view here.

When we adopted our Rex family from Alice at Windwhistle Warren in Gloucestershire she recommended we took their litter trays together with recent contents. She also considered these particular rabbits to be confident and self-assured. (Not so sure I agree if you see them during and after a vet visit, but that's another matter.) I would certainly use a similar method if I moved them again.

I think it will very much depend on the rabbits' temperament, which you know best.

I would also look at it this way. The only downside in taking their old stuff would be that you can't put all new things there for them immediately. It also of course may not make any difference. If you didn't take their old stuff and then found they were unhappy you would always wish that you had.

thanks Omi, that is useful to hear it from a rescue perspective too. All three are very different in temperament but Mouse has had the hardest life so needs looking after the most - she is my baby girl ;)

Thanks Zoobec :) However, there will not be any territorial poops :lol:I've had a discussion with all bunnies & they have promised that not one piece of hay or poo will escape the trays. Mind you I have to sign to Boo so maybe she didn't quite understand :lol:

Anybody else - WWYD?? the more opinions the better

No territorial poops :shock: :lol: sorry but I think they are fibbing :lol: hopefully it won't last for long. When Boots first came inside there were poops all over the lounge floor :shock: but they receded quite quickly almost like a tide line until there are hardly ever any stray poops now :thumb: I'm afraid it was the same when I had the quad and they went into their shed for the first time. It looked like they'd had a poo party :shock: :lol:

Oh absolutely :D

I have one in every room :lol:

Back