• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to protect hutch roof?

FloLo

Alpha Buck
Wondering how everyone protects their hutches roof?
I used tarpaulin but the roof on mine has started to concave in so I'm having to buy a new hutch! Don't want the same thing to happen!

You could put an extra layer of felt on it. Or buy a hutch cover - this is what I have done so the whole hutch stays dry.

The cheaper plywood hutches have rubbish roofs which do bellow in after a short time, if you buy a quality hutch with a tongue and groove roof or a roof of suitable thickness this won't happen.

Like tonibun I just have a hutch cover and in the day I take the front bit away and in the night I put the front bit down and that saves my hutch from dieing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Could you replace just the roof? (I can hear you all saying "what a tight wad" [emoji1] )

This is what I would do if the rest of the hutch is sound. Get a piece of exterior ply or OSB - about 10mm thick and a bit bigger than the existing roof. I like to add a couple of inches overhang at the back and sides, and 6" or so at the front. Cover in roofing felt (folded under the edges). It's easier to do on a warm day when the felt is soft, and work with the wood on top of the felt (make sure it is the smooth side against the wood) so it is easier to do the edges. Staples will do to fasten it. Then fasten to the hutch with some screws (and big washers to stop it ripping the felt) straight through into the main frame at each corner.

I've bought a new hutch anyway, mine wasn't of great quality and the doors are super stiff and misaligned too. I had a voucher for welfare hutches anyway!
Just wondering where could I source a good quality cover?

These folk do very good covers. You must get the dimensions correct when you phone them, or email:

cabj.design@hotmail.co.uk - Tel. 0115 8416833 - Alan Bloomer, 5 Green Ave, Netherfield, Nottingham, NG42LZ

If you order now you should have it before any bad weather arrives.

He will give you a price based on the dimensions if you ask him.

I used the man on eBay who custom makes covers. I have a welfare hutch too. The cover is very good and has a clear rain cover,night cover, and a thermal layer as well. He was even able to create a flap for my welfare pipe to go through. I heard of him through this forum - seller is c.a.b.j on eBay. He will provide a quote if you send measurements etc. Mine was £90 which I know isn't cheap but I think it will last.

These folk do very good covers. You must get the dimensions correct when you phone them, or email:

cabj.design@hotmail.co.uk - Tel. 0115 8416833 - Alan Bloomer, 5 Green Ave, Netherfield, Nottingham, NG42LZ

If you order now you should have it before any bad weather arrives.

He will give you a price based on the dimensions if you ask him.

I used the man on eBay who custom makes covers. I have a welfare hutch too. The cover is very good and has a clear rain cover,night cover, and a thermal layer as well. He was even able to create a flap for my welfare pipe to go through. I heard of him through this forum - seller is c.a.b.j on eBay. He will provide a quote if you send measurements etc. Mine was £90 which I know isn't cheap but I think it will last.

Thank you both I will order one soon!

Back