• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Marmalade's new friend!

Toast&Marmalade

Young Bun
Hi all

As some of you will know we lost our beautiful boy Toastie very suddenly last Sunday and we are heartbroken. To say it was a shock is an understatement as he was only 15 months old :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:.

I would never normally be able to contemplate getting another animal so soon as I grieve for a long time and the pain is heartfelt. However, this is not about me and I have to consider how Marmalade feels to have lost her constant companion. She appears to have been coping well, eating etc but she still needs a new friend. I had put a big, soft cuddly toy rabbit in with her and she been sitting with it and grooming it :love::love::love::love::love:....she also moved a big piece of kale onto it and left it there which was heartbreaking as I know she was feeding it. She NEVER moves food, she just eats it there and then. She went back to it when I was sitting in with her and began nudging the toy rabbit. Then, as if to say, "Right, I'm gonna eat it if you're not" lol....she took it away and ate it herself. It was tragically sweet and upset me for ages.

Anyway, I am heavily involved in animal rescue and we received a call about a standard, blue, male Rex who had just lost his lady friend of 2.5 years and is very depressed. He has been extremely well looked after (and has lived in a similar set up to mine), but as his owner is elderly she did not want to get another bunny in case they outlived her. (Bertie is 4, neutered and vaccinated of course).

So, Bertie will be coming to live with us tomorrow/today!! I have divided the shed up and have a new run set up for him (until he can be loose in the shed, run and garden with Marmalade).

I feel sick and nervous, but can't wait to see Marmalade's face when she sees him...and him her....I think they will both swoon :love::love::love::love::love:.

Please wish us luck with the bonding.
Jo
xx

P.S. Pics to follow!

Last edited:
Wonderful news :) Congratulation!
I can't wait to see him and I hope that Marmalade is impressed with her new friend :love:
Lots of luck send your way xxxxx

Sounds wonderful! I hope everything goes smoothly. Having something else to focus on will hopefully help you as well as Marmalade.

Hi all

As some of you will know we lost our beautiful boy Toastie very suddenly last Sunday and we are heartbroken. To say it was a shock is an understatement as he was only 15 months old :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:.

I would never normally be able to contemplate getting another animal so soon as I grieve for a long time and the pain is heartfelt. However, this is not about me and I have to consider how Marmalade feels to have lost her constant companion. She appears to have been coping well, eating etc but she still needs a new friend. I had put a big, soft cuddly toy rabbit in with her and she been sitting with it and grooming it :love::love::love::love::love:....she also moved a big piece of kale onto it and left it there which was heartbreaking as I know she was feeding it. She NEVER moves food, she just eats it there and then. She went back to it when I was sitting in with her and began nudging the toy rabbit. Then, as if to say, "Right, I'm gonna eat it if you're not" lol....she took it away and ate it herself. It was tragically sweet and upset me for ages.

Anyway, I am heavily involved in animal rescue and we received a call about a standard, blue, male Rex who had just lost his lady friend of 2.5 years and is very depressed. He has been extremely well looked after (and has lived in a similar set up to mine), but as his owner is elderly she did not want to get another bunny in case they outlived her. (Bertie is 4, neutered and vaccinated of course).

So, Bertie will be coming to live with us tomorrow/today!! I have divided the shed up and have a new run set up for him (until he can be loose in the shed, run and garden with Marmalade).

I feel sick and nervous, but can't wait to see Marmalade's face when she sees him...and him her....I think they will both swoon :love::love::love::love::love:.

Please wish us luck with the bonding.
Jo
xx

P.S. Pics to follow!

Oh beautiful Bertie :love:

Good luck with the bonding Jo xx

How wonderful Marmalade has a new bunny friend on the way - I'll be keeping everything crossed that they fall in love easily

Back