• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hello from a newbie and a question - just lost one of my bunnies :(

Daisyburr

New Kit
Hello

We sadly had to let one of our boys, Pippin, go to sleep at the vets - long story but he was under a GA for an x-ray and the result was not good so decision was made to let him sleep on :(

His brother Patch is left on his own. He actually seems okay, he has started eating again, he had a couple of days off food. But I am wondering what happens in such circumstances - is it best to try and put him with another rabbit as a companion? Is it best to get another rabbit and put them next to each other but in different runs? I am very concerned - I do not want him being lonely but at the same time I don't want to upset him either by bringing in a new hopefully companion for him. What shall I do? I asked my vet and she said speak to rabbit rescues as they will give you best advice. I have to say Pippin was the gentle guy, Patch who is left seemed the more dominant and even though they both had the op when younger Patch would still sometimes mount poor Pippin so I am thinking would he be to bossy to have another mate?

Look forward to your advice thank you.
xx

I'm sorry that you had to let one Pippin go, it is a horrible decision to have to make.
When we were in your situation, we contacted a local rabbit rescue to find a new partner for our remaining bun, they had several potential partners so we (and our rabbit) had a choice. They then had our bunny for a week and managed to get a good bond with our first choice.
I hope you manage to get something sorted for Patch, they are much happier with company

:( I'm sorry you lost your boy - sweet dreams Pippin.

I would start approaching rescues as soon as you feel up to it as applications, home checks & such all take time. I like to take my remaining bunny to rescue to meet potential suitors. I've had really easy bonds this way

Welcome to the forum. I'm so sorry to hear you lost Pippin - always an awful decision to make. I would definitely contact your local rescues to find a friend for Patch. Rabbits should always have company of their own kind and a rescue centre will be able to try matching him up with several potential friends.

Hope it goes well.

Thank you, I love the idea of him having a choice and even better that they bonded them. I will keep people posted. xx

So sorry that you lost your bunny :(

I agree that bunny dating at a rescue is the best choice :)

Hello

We sadly had to let one of our boys, Pippin, go to sleep at the vets - long story but he was under a GA for an x-ray and the result was not good so decision was made to let him sleep on :(

His brother Patch is left on his own. He actually seems okay, he has started eating again, he had a couple of days off food. But I am wondering what happens in such circumstances - is it best to try and put him with another rabbit as a companion? Is it best to get another rabbit and put them next to each other but in different runs? I am very concerned - I do not want him being lonely but at the same time I don't want to upset him either by bringing in a new hopefully companion for him. What shall I do? I asked my vet and she said speak to rabbit rescues as they will give you best advice. I have to say Pippin was the gentle guy, Patch who is left seemed the more dominant and even though they both had the op when younger Patch would still sometimes mount poor Pippin so I am thinking would he be to bossy to have another mate?

Look forward to your advice thank you.
xx

Hi Daisy, and welcome to the Forum :wave:

I'm so sorry you lost your lovely Pippin. It's awful when they have to go, isn't it :(

When you and Patch feel ready, I would look at Rescue Centres and find a *girl* bunny (who will be already spayed and vaccinated). A male/female pairing is very easy and reliable.

It's lovely to have you here. I hope you'll stay and post piccies when you can xx

Mistletoe - new partner for Patch!

Hi Daisy, and welcome to the Forum :wave:

I'm so sorry you lost your lovely Pippin. It's awful when they have to go, isn't it :(

When you and Patch feel ready, I would look at Rescue Centres and find a *girl* bunny (who will be already spayed and vaccinated). A male/female pairing is very easy and reliable.

It's lovely to have you here. I hope you'll stay and post piccies when you can xx

Good news! We went to see a girl bunny called Mistletoe at the weekend. She is a normal size bunny, Patch is a mini-lop, we think she is a Californian Satin?? She is sparkling white with brown ears, a brown nose and a brown tail, and lighter brown legs. She is absolutely gorgeous, and she too has lost her mate and has been at the centre for 4 months. She is younger than Patch (he is 5, she is almost 2 I think) but we will be bringer her home tonight and hoping and praying they get on. Because she has been on her own for awhile, they have suggested a longer introduction so we have divided our summerhouse up (that is where the bunnies live) so they will be next to each other through the run wire but not together to start with, and to see how it goes. She seems very laid back and friendly with us so hopefully it will go well. I will get some photos and keep people updated. Should I start a new thread somewhere else do you think as this one is under introductions? Thank you every one for your advice, I am sure will be needing more as time goes on :) x

Oh, how lovely! :) she sounds dreamy. Good luck with it. Up to you re:threads. I probably would as I'm easily confused lol x

Fab news. Sending bonding vibes. Would love to see photos of you new Sparkling girl - she sounds wonderful

Back