• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vegetables and Herbs

Toffs and Pebbs

Warren Scout
Hi all

I've nearly sorted out my hay and pellets problem but I've still got the question of giving them other than that.

All I would like is suggestions of what i can feed my bunnies in terms of veg and herbs and where I could get it from without buying bags and bags of stuff.

Suggestions are welcome and i will try out all that I can.[emoji38]

P.S I would include fruit but i dont give my rabbits much fruit and so its not hard to find little amounts.[emoji38]

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think most herbs are fine for rabbits, with the exception of chives and parsley should be fed in moderation because of the high calcium content. I give mine basil, mint, sage, rosemary, thyme, tarragon and coriander regularly. You can grow them in pots on your windowsill, or better still, have a herb patch in the garden near their hutch as the smell acts as a good fly deterrent.

For veg, dark leafy greens are best, things like spring greens, kale, spinach. Best to introduce new foods slowly and one at a time to make sure their digestive system is ok with it.

I think most herbs are fine for rabbits, with the exception of chives and parsley should be fed in moderation because of the high calcium content. I give mine basil, mint, sage, rosemary, thyme, tarragon and coriander regularly. You can grow them in pots on your windowsill, or better still, have a herb patch in the garden near their hutch as the smell acts as a good fly deterrent.

For veg, dark leafy greens are best, things like spring greens, kale, spinach. Best to introduce new foods slowly and one at a time to make sure their digestive system is ok with it.

Could I grow the greens or buy them as i know most thing dont last all year round in terms of growing them??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i grow pak choy or bok choy, which growns super easy and if you take off the outer leaves and feed them first the plant just carries on growing new leaves, i grow carrots but mainly for the carrot tops which they love, herb i grow in a herb patch along with rocket and ive started growing strawberries and a "WEED" section, ciccely, marjaram, willowherb, yarrow, plantain and sow or milk thistle. It saves you loads of money because you only pick whats needed. Its not for what veg mine have because they have mostly wild forage i pick for them, my wild weed patch isnt ready this year. Plus its loads of fun and feels great when you are feeding them for free

The girls get kale, broccoli and a small amount of celery on a daily basis. I just buy it from a shop but would like to grow my own kale as that's meant to be pretty easy.
We have a herb sink.... it's basically an old ceramic sink with parsley, coriander, basil, chives and mint growing in it.
We also do a lot of foraging, mainly hawthorn, willow and maple.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

We don't buy them anything and forage the local byways for free food :thumb: Brambles, willow, hawthorn, rose (some of these also available in our garden), also cowparsley, ladies' bedstraw, cranesbill, mallow, lavender, rosemary. They do get carrot peelings and celery and cucumber ends but only when I'm eating them!

Another forager here - but I also go to my local market occasionally and ask the greengrocer stall for any waste (usually it's things like carrot tops, cabbage leaves etc.) As long as you buy things, they're obliging. :)

Back