• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny proofing my bunnies home

Modifying your existing run, or building a new one, is something you might like to have a go at doing yourself (with your Dad's help [emoji6] )

Is a runaround
I have not used a runaround system, although there are examples on the forum of runaround tunnels linking runs or sheds together.
The RWAF suggest the run should be at least 8'x4' (this is in feet, I'm old and don't do meters) as you are on a limited budget, I would suggest securing your existing run and if your finance will run to it, enlarging your existing run
Mesh can be purchased from ebay/Amazon, wood from any DIY store

I have not used a runaround system, although there are examples on the forum of runaround tunnels linking runs or sheds together.
The RWAF suggest the run should be at least 8'x4' (this is in feet, I'm old and don't do meters) as you are on a limited budget, I would suggest securing your existing run and if your finance will run to it, enlarging your existing run
I think horace the bold means 8ft x 6ft run. (Approx 2.6m x 2m)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I'm sorry, I do apologise, I must learn to stop making assumptions
A run should be an easy construction, I would have thought you would find suggestions on YouTube
But as I suggested on your other thread, I think you ought to secure your existing run first

Its fine no need to apologize as anyone who didnt know me would think but i may be able to see about changing the run as I do know a man who is 'dan dan the handy man'[emoji23] and he can most likely help me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will probably secure the run and I will look into expanding it(if i do I will probably go above and beyond something like 9ft by9ft or 10ftby10ft because I love my bunnies) and then I will probably use a runaround tunnel to connect the two hutch and run and then I can always expand it and change it as I go along. I am going to try my best now that I have got advice I will do it!*determined girl in action* [emoji23]

I will probably secure the run and I will look into expanding it(if i do I will probably go above and beyond something like 9ft by9ft or 10ftby10ft because I love my bunnies) and then I will probably use a runaround tunnel to connect the two hutch and run and then I can always expand it and change it as I go along. I am going to try my best now that I have got advice I will do it!*determined girl in action* [emoji23]

Update just talked to Dan and he told Me that the wire I have got on the run is probably more secure than the wire I have got on the hutch and run home because the galvanized mesh on the hutch run is more light weight and if I wanted to secure the run even more then I would have to purchase a more heavyweight galvanized mesh so thats one thing sorted and another problem up should I secure the hutch and run home now or not?

We certainly don't want you wasting money by changing things needlessly, can you photograph the mesh on the hutch run?

Yer
06f7c1bd44271ae35d9c40fa44922ce6.jpg
sure

The mesh shown in the photograph looks OK to me
I thought It was ok but it is a lighterweight than the run so is easier to chew through but yet it is still standing now, although that might be because the fox hasn't came near the rabbits because there is human smell on it aswell. When we saw the fox it was at the very back of the garden and nowhere near the bunnies and it goes from one side to the other quickly.

Inspect the mesh twice a day.
If you can buy a roll of it cheap and staple some onto the other side of the wooden frame so it creates two levels of mesh this will add extra protection quickly against predators. As you'll notice damage to the outside mesh before they have a chance to damage the second level and get to the bunnies.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

If the run isnt secure daphnephoebe idea is brill and easy. i feel for you with you having to get your mums permission to be able to improve things. It shows your buns are important to you that you are doing research and getting advice from others. Can i see another run near the climbing frame? is that the run you were thinking of using the runaround tunnel with. I priced the tunnels up and thought they were too expensive for me at this time. If you are joining the runs why not just join them. Ask the DIY dan can he cut you a hole in each run and put a wooden frame around both sides or the cut mesh (to avoid jagged pokey bits) then screw the two runs together. At least for the time being its not costing a lot for some little bits of wood and your buns get a bit more room while you save up. Well done you for being so responsible x

~UPDATE~

My mum has looked at the runarounds and I'm now going to nag her for a update, I'm waiting for a material to fix up the weathered run top and then I will tell my mum of the idea of expanding the run. And as I'm not to sure about letting them out at night I've had an idea that in the morning I open up the runaround/tunnel and at night I close it, do you reckon that is a good idea or is it still unfair.

Here are a few pictures of the darlings enjoying their grass and dandelion leaves.
2b4ff1855c1192acc6ec83031baa21ff.jpg
b5331499d4651d9f7e9a19c6b69b3e11.jpg
4315e5fc28a50f5eefb166e8c7ea0971.jpg

I've finnaly got my mum thinking about the runaround but instead shes looking. At sheds and runs attached, I'm more than happy but its always an 'if'.[emoji38]

Back