• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tree Stump As A Platform

Christine662

Warren Scout
Hi All:wave:

I was thinking of getting a tree log as a platform for Lilah & Frankie.

Does anyone know if it can be any type of tree or not?

Thanks

Christine x

Try to stick to rabbit safe woods.
It up to you if you want them to be encouraged to chew it (apple, pear etc)

I have an oak tree stump at the foot of my bed that my old free range rabbits would sometimes sit on. They were good about not gnawing on things so I didn't bother to cover it, but I do with my current rabbits put some c&c grids around it since I have no idea if oak is safe, plus I don't really want that particular stump chewed on.

I'd also be interested in knowing what kind of stumps are safe though (I think it would probably be difficult for me to get apple or pear stumps). They really are nice looking little platforms :)

We have lots of stumps and branches of Willow in their runs.

William, Oak is not safe.

That's a shame, oak is the most easy stump to get here :( Pine and hickory are easy to get too, but I'm guessing they aren't safe either.

Hi

Thanks for your replies.

Shame about oak as would be easy to get one. Ive seen a platform to buy online that's oak....says its for rabbits!!:shock:

I have a willow stump for my boys. I'm now looking to get a longer one so I can hollow it out to make a tunnel for them. I like my aviary to look as "natural" as possible so I don't like any coloured plastic etc in there but it does make furnishing it complicated! :lol:

Hi Lisa.... Yes I'm trying to give them natural as I can too. Especially as Lilah loves to chew anything new. So am trying to avoid plastics if I can. It's not easy though.

Mine have always had cherry stumps, branches and leaves. Some people say cherry is not safe but in my experience, the bunnies love it and it never causes a single tummy upset. They had some massive cherry tree stumps as platforms and they chewed ALL the rough old bark off over several months. Every single stump ended up naked and they were at least a foot round and high :shock:.

Back